Kenneth Branagh Joins the Cast of Tenet

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:35 am

Nice of Ken to chime in on Nolan's work ethic. I do wonder when Tenet's final cut did finish though. As I recall, it wasn't ready for Cannes either.
I won't be surprised if he hasn't finish the final cut by now. Why would Nolan show Tenet on Cannes though?

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:53 am
intersteIIarx wrote:

Nice of Ken to chime in on Nolan's work ethic. I do wonder when Tenet's final cut did finish though. As I recall, it wasn't ready for Cannes either.
I won't be surprised if he hasn't finish the final cut by now. Why would Nolan show Tenet on Cannes though?
Why not? George Miller showed Fury Road there and a lot people said that it could’ve gotten very well if had been part of the competition. So I don’t see a problem with Tenet being shown at Cannes although, of course, a lot of people would say that it isn’t the type of film many there would be interested in. You never know though and considering Nolan is highly passionate about filmmaking, Cannes doesn’t seem too far fetched of a place for him to present a film.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on June 13th, 2020, 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
intersteIIarx wrote:

The Cannes director is a big fan of Nolan,(they invited him back in 2018) and asked Nolan for Tenet to be apart of Cannes but, Tenet wasn't ready in time. He also mentioned how Nolan told him he cast JDW after the Cannes Blackkklansman screening as we found out a few weeks ago.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:18 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:
intersteIIarx wrote:

The Cannes director is a big fan of Nolan,(they invited him back in 2018) and asked Nolan for Tenet to be apart of Cannes but, Tenet wasn't ready in time. He also mentioned how Nolan told him he cast JDW after the Cannes Blackkklansman screening as we found out a few weeks ago.
Yes. Now, when they invited him, was it to present 2001 print?

Regarding Cannes I don't think Nolan had even thought of premiering Tenet there. A few reasons.
First of all, spoilers!! Tenet has been very secretive about it's plot so imagine opening the movie end of May with many people reviewing/tweeting/commenting on the movie without hearing any spoilers. It's really hard.
Secondly yes in Cannes there have been a few blockbusters that premiered there(this year Soul was set to premiere) but they are exceptions not the norm.
Also studios sometimes are hesitant to premiere movies at Cannes because there are many snob critics that could damage the business of the film. For example A Star is Born was pulled out by WB for this among other reasons(they wanted also to go to fall festivals for awards push).
I think for Nolan Dunkirk was the best movie to premiere there because it was more of an arthouse film, it was shot in France and it was also about France and this movie didn't have many spoilers to hide.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:22 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:

I'm 99% sure it was the 2001 print. I mean, it depends if we are talking about a Nolan film in competition or outside? Because there have been a lot of ridiculous movies that went to Canne out of competition: Godzilla (98), The Fifth Element, Kung Fu Panda, X-Men: the last Stand....Shrek. Having Tenet go to Canne is kind of meaningless. Also, having a bunch of sunbaked, pretentious, french film critics have the first look at Tenet would suck...they don't deserve it, they would probably trash it.

A Borges man wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:53 am
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:22 am
intersteIIarx wrote:

I'm 99% sure it was the 2001 print. I mean, it depends if we are talking about a Nolan film in competition or outside? Because there have been a lot of ridiculous movies that went to Canne out of competition: Godzilla (98), The Fifth Element, Kung Fu Panda, X-Men: the last Stand....Shrek. Having Tenet go to Canne is kind of meaningless. Also, having a bunch of sunbaked, pretentious, french film critics have the first look at Tenet would suck...they don't deserve it, they would probably trash it.
it would've premiered out of competition yes. Considering Spike was supposed to be the Cannes Jury President I don't think he would have trashed it but there are pros and cons going with a 'blockbuster' to Cannes.

Dunkirk was a better film to go with a Cannes screening .. it had the gene of a festival film.. it was a war movie .. and of course history
its hard to imagine Tenet premiering in Cannes tho.. glad they didnt take the call

666kalpa wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:13 am
Dunkirk was a better film to go with a Cannes screening .. it had the gene of a festival film.. it was a war movie .. and of course history
its hard to imagine Tenet premiering in Cannes tho.. glad they didnt take the call
Except, if I remember the French hated Dunkirk, they took offense to how they were portrayed (If I remember correctly, there where articles floating around saying as much).

Yeah because apparently it painted them in a bad light for not helping the trapped Brits, hence why the Tenet trailer had the title card of Interstellar in lieu of the Dunkirk one.