Ludwig Göransson will compose Tenet

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Forum Pro
Bacon wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 8:31 pm
Innovator wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 3:24 pm
This is interesting. So Nolan wanted Göransson from the get go? Or perhaps he still tried to collaborate with Zimmer first but Zimmer couldn't fully commit to the project like before.
I'm almost certain it was the latter. The Oscar win was confirmation to Nolan, I bet.
I think Zimmer pointed Nolan towards Ludwig. There’s a couple videos of them together during the awards circuit together with other composers and they seemed to hit it off.

Innovator wrote:
Ace wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Before composer Ludwig Göransson even received his engraved Academy Award for winning best original score in 2019 for Black Panther, the win was already paying dividends.

The next day after the Oscars, I got the call from Christopher Nolan’s people saying that Chris wanted to hire him on his next movie, Tenet,” says Amos Newman, Göransson’s agent at WME.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bil ... comparison
This is interesting. So Nolan wanted Göransson from the get go? Or perhaps he still tried to collaborate with Zimmer first but Zimmer couldn't fully commit to the project like before.
According to what considered to be a reliable source on HansZimmer.com, Zimmer was never really an option. They didn’t have the best experience working on Dunkirk and it was pretty obvious to a lot of people in Remote Control Music that they will be taking a break.

I never bought that “scheduling conflict” BS in the first place, since Zimmer signed up for like 4 movies that come out before Tenet since this lie was reported. This is so depressing.
I do hear Nolan and Zimmer are on good terms though... but I wouldn’t hold to much hope for a next collaboration.

dvir971 wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:33 pm
Innovator wrote:
According to what considered to be a reliable source on HansZimmer.com, Zimmer was never really an option. They didn’t have the best experience working on Dunkirk and it was pretty obvious to a lot of people in Remote Control Music that they will be taking a break.

I never bought that “scheduling conflict” BS in the first place, since Zimmer signed up for like 4 movies that come out before Tenet since this lie was reported. This is so depressing.
I do hear Nolan and Zimmer are on good terms though... but I wouldn’t hold to much hope for a next collaboration.
how interesting

dvir971 wrote:
Innovator wrote:

What do you mean didn't have the best experience?

KEM
Silfan wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 6:50 am
dvir971 wrote:
Innovator wrote:

What do you mean didn't have the best experience?
Hans had to basically rewrite the entire score, there might be other things that I’m not aware of but I know that was an issue.

kor
Wow, did not know about this. I was left with impressions from Deadline's article, where Zimmer said, that Dunkirk's score was one of the most experimental he and Chris ever did.

https://deadline.com/2018/02/dunkirk-ha ... 202280792/

“Chris came to me with this idea, basically, ‘Dunkirk’ exists in a [single] piece of music,” Zimmer said. “The whole movie was originally written as one 100-minute piece of music, which seemed like a really good idea at the time, and nobody had done it before, and then we suffered for our ambition when it came to how are we actually going to make this work.”

Zimmer and Nolan ultimately settled on a more traditional film score comprised of several different tracks, but you can still hear the consistency of the work as a whole due to the unifying theme of a ticking clock. The idea for a 100-minute film score is an unconventional one, but Zimmer said that is often how he approaches his film scores with Nolan. When he was working on Nolan’s Batman sequel “The Dark Knight,” for instance, he was focused entirely on the Joker and not the eponymous superhero.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/hans- ... 202003487/

If I get it right, one unique 100-minute piece was created, but there were problems with adapting it to the movie, so they went with more traditional way. Still, no comments on tension or friction. But, both are classy, so no newspaper clickbait articles.

I don’t think the article is right. We know that Chris asked Hans to create a long track consisting of heartbeats, ticking (from his own watch), footsteps and thumps. That track was used as the film was edited as a tempo map.

Zimmer mentioned somewhere they tried a traditional score in terms of orchestration but it did not work. Some of that “supposedly traditional” score made it to the final score - apparently a theme for one of the characters (I think it might be George).

The final score is the 100 minute long track - with two pauses. Which seems to have been a nightmare to achieve. Zimmer had to leave for tour before the score was fully finished (keep in mind that he probably worked months or maybe even a whole year on it.) They brought Lorne Balfe to oversee the final stages. They worked so hard on the score and it paid off - that’s why I think they should’ve won several awards for the score.

So the whole Hans didn’t do Tenet because of Dune is just a cover up lol. Maybe they’ll work together on the next film, maybe not. They were my favorite director/composer duo but Ludwig’s work in the teaser and the prologue alone is so damn impressive.

Dunkirk's score is mighty impressive

But I'm fine with Zimmer scoring Dune and Göransson scoring Tenet though. Even tho the Nolan/Zimmer collaboration is great, I really don't mind Nolan working with someone else now. Göransson's score of the prologue is fantastic and I can't wait what he's got in store for the rest of the film. I wouldn't be surprised if both Zimmer and Göransson nab an Oscar nomination next year lol

And imagine HZ winning this time, lol.

CASE wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm
And imagine HZ winning this time, lol.

i am not gonna lie, that gonna bum me out and i loooooooove zimmer