Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I'm pissed at the studios for bailing their products, but I'm more pissed at execs of theater companies. They should of been smarter about this opening. I wonder if any of them bothered to screen Tenet ahead of time and see the movie doesn't work for a general audience so well. But more importantly they should of got contractional agreements in place from studios to keep product in place like WW1984, Candyman, King's Man, Mulan etc.
If studios weren't willing to do that, then theaters should of just prolonged the closure for most locations. But they rushed to get back open for any chance of revenue, and frankly are hurting several employees who would of been better off staying on unemployment and getting the stimulus bonus.

Scott Mendelson and Matt Goldberg are both d*ckheads.

Ahh thanks for letting me know that it's expensive to run a theater, I've only worked as a manager for years myself. And the fuck are talking about? Tenet is definitely adding much needed liquidity in most if not all European markets. In the UK the film is closing in on $20 million, and it's doing great in Germany ($11 million) and France ($13 million). OF COURSE theaters need more product, now and later, but thanks for letting us know.

keep it civil

Nomis wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm
keep it civil
Sorry about that, I will not engage any further.

Robin wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 1:38 pm
Nomis wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm
keep it civil
Sorry about that, I will not engage any further.
You are good :thumbup:

Vader182 wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
Goldberg is a dick, but the uncomfortable reality is that Tenet is probably harming theaters more than it's helping. Theaters are likely barely making back operating costs right now, if that. And with essentially zero blockbusters until Bond, the longer Tenet is playing, the further into the red theater operating expenses will become.
I think as long as this virus is around, the first one out the gate is going to be slow no matter what. It's like as a teacher, I don't believe that changing a school's start time to 8:40 instead of 8:00 is actually going to make people on time, as it will instead get kids to go to bed later so they can sleep in accordingly (the adjustment might be because of traffic flow though of course, especially compared to neighboring schools... but that's besides the point).

The fact that Tenet is easing crowds in to begin with was going to be something somebody had to do. If No Time to Die was the first film to come out post-pandemic, we'd be having the same conversation (unless it's significantly better, and of course more comprehensible... but again that's besides the bigger point at play).

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
Goldberg is a dick, but the uncomfortable reality is that Tenet is probably harming theaters more than it's helping. Theaters are likely barely making back operating costs right now, if that. And with essentially zero blockbusters until Bond, the longer Tenet is playing, the further into the red theater operating expenses will become.
I think as long as this virus is around, the first one out the gate is going to be slow no matter what. It's like as a teacher, I don't believe that changing a school's start time to 8:40 instead of 8:00 is actually going to make people on time, as it will instead get kids to go to bed later so they can sleep in accordingly (the adjustment might be because of traffic flow though of course, especially compared to neighboring schools... but that's besides the point).

The fact that Tenet is easing crowds in to begin with was going to be something somebody had to do. If No Time to Die was the first film to come out post-pandemic, we'd be having the same conversation (unless it's significantly better, and of course more comprehensible... but again that's besides the bigger point at play).
Correct, but that's just the point: Tenet isn't the first movie out of the gate, it's the only movie out of the gate. A single underperforming movie is doing more harm than good.

-Vader

Tenet has barely any CGI. And no expensive A-List actors. I wonder how a 200 million budget emerged. Is shooting in several countries really that expensive? I can only think of the road closing in Tallinn as a expensive case. And the construction of Stalsk-12. I feel like Tenet could have been made significantly cheaper. So the movie wouldn't have to deal with being a financial failure. But at the end of the day I am just an amateur in a fan forum and they are the professionals.

Germany Box Office:
Tenet had 960.000 visitors and grossed 11.3 million $. For comparison:
Dunkirk - 750.000 visitors - 7.7 million $
Interstellar - 1.700.000 visitors - 18.3 million $

France Box Office:
Tenet - 13.8 million $
Dunkirk - 21.5 million $
Interstellar - 19.4 million $

United Kingdom Box Office:
Tenet - 16.4 million $
Dunkirk - 80.8 million $
Interstellar - 31.3 million $

Italy Box Office:
Tenet - 4.4 million $
Dunkirk - 9.9 million $
Interstellar - 12.9 million $

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Tenet has barely any CGI. And no expensive A-List actors. I wonder how a 200 million budget emerged. Is shooting in several countries really that expensive? I can only think of the road closing in Tallinn as a expensive case. And the construction of Stalsk-12. I feel like Tenet could have been made significantly cheaper. So the movie wouldn't have to deal with being a financial failure. But at the end of the day I am just an amateur in a fan forum and they are the professionals.
Road closure was for sure an expensive cost. The plane sequence was also probably expensive.

I can't say that I know what goes in all costs, but I am not too surprised by its overall budget. Quantum of Solace was somehow a more expensive movie (I know you have to pay Daniel Craig and Judi Dench, but that didn't tip them over even another $10 million).

I think it had to be the suits. ;)