Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
ninenin wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm
ninenin wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 1:59 pm

It's equally stupid to overreact and judge people for wanting to re-open the economy in some form, while staying cautious. You do realize that poverty, starvation and suicides due to dire economic situations will kill more people than COVID-19 if restrictions are not relaxed before a vaccine is mass produced. Of course people overlook this either because they are privileged enough to, or their selective outrage is only based on what's trending.
The problem is that there are already a lot of them being non cautious and soon more start acting the same way because unfortunately people still follow what they see (there are many reasons why) instead of having critical thinking. That’s what they are complaining about up there in the comment you quoted.

Let’s hope this doesn’t get worse but the nature we tend to go for may indicate that there’s a high probability it will.
You can't control what people are going to do, unless you go all-out authoritarian on them. That will never fly in North America, or most of the western world, and rightfully so. Why take away everyone's freedoms or opportunity to make a living because of some irresponsible people? We need a balanced response, and I think opening up this summer with precautions in place is the reasonable thing to do. Keeping things totally locked down, without easing restrictions until a vaccine comes out is just as stupid as reopening everything and not taking precautions.
It’s not about what we need but about what’s happening. And it seems you didn’t even get what I was trying to say. Humans are more complex than that. I respect your opinion though. Stay safe

this thread embodies every reason veteren members typically stay out of this section

-Vader

i am personally *this* close to introducing some anarchy and nuking a few threads

Ruth wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:02 pm
i am personally *this* close to introducing some anarchy and nuking a few threads
You should :P

On Unhinged - it's just press fluff. Cinemas won't open any earlier than they currently plan to for something like that. Major chain heads have said from day 1 they'll only reopen to major studio content.

There's a reason Tenet is at the centre of reopening plans and not Purge.

Do we know what the status of the BFI IMAX Odeon at Leicester Square is, pandemic closure notwithstanding? Last I heard- Autumn of 2019- it was one of multiple listed buildings in the Lambeth-Waterloo area earmarked for demolition to make way for property development in the very near future.

A couple of months extra waiting for Tenet for the sake of better securing public health is nothing in the grand scheme of things (I can't imagine they'd wait til 2021 unless it became mandatory), but with the construction industry having carried on as normal in the UK throughout lockdown, it would be an utter travesty if the destruction of the premier auditorium in the UK was to be made imminent before we're given a chance to see such a significant film in 70mm celluloid. It's not as if most of us can just hop over to the 70mm IMAX cinemas in the USA or Sydney on a whim, at the best of times.

RrobynneUK wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:26 pm
Do we know what the status of the BFI IMAX Odeon at Leicester Square is, pandemic closure notwithstanding? Last I heard- Autumn of 2019- it was one of multiple listed buildings in the Lambeth-Waterloo area earmarked for demolition to make way for property development in the very near future.

A couple of months extra waiting for Tenet for the sake of better securing public health is nothing in the grand scheme of things (I can't imagine they'd wait til 2021 unless it became mandatory), but with the construction industry having carried on as normal in the UK throughout lockdown, it would be an utter travesty if the destruction of the premier auditorium in the UK was to be made imminent before we're given a chance to see such a significant film in 70mm celluloid. It's not as if most of us can just hop over to the 70mm IMAX cinemas in the USA or Sydney on a whim, at the best of times.
They're separate cinemas! The Odeon at Leicester Square opened after a multi million pound Dolby Cinema refurbishment a year and a half ago, and still has 5-perf 70mm in the booth.. BFI IMAX at Waterloo is still there and though there was that risk, the venue going down at the moment feels unlikely.

Even if it does though, there is a refreshed new flagship in the Science Museum, which was undergoing a major refurb with the addition of IMAX Laser - they're keeping the 70mm - just before lockdown. There is also still the Vue Manchester Printworks, which has kept the 70mm alongside their IMAX laser setup.

antovolk wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:37 pm
They're separate cinemas! The Odeon at Leicester Square opened after a multi million pound Dolby Cinema refurbishment a year and a half ago, and still has 5-perf 70mm in the booth.. BFI IMAX at Waterloo is still there and though there was that risk, the venue going down at the moment feels unlikely.
My bad, I live out in the sticks so one London street is the same as all the rest to me. Saw Interstellar when it first showed at Waterloo in 2014 and it is still my favourite cinema experience of all time, and enjoyed Dunkirk there too, so fingers crossed you're right. However another search right now suggests that as of a few months ago the redevelopment of the site has passed the last hurdle to being signed off into official borough planning policy: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/10129

I'm familiar with the Printworks and Science Museum venues but am right in thinking the screen at Waterloo is still the largest in the country? Perfect immersion for a film like Interstellar. Don't know how the other two remaining compare but it's truly worrisome the way the number of 70mm cinemas in the UK has been shrinking for the past several years. I hear Glasgow recently got rid of theirs.

RrobynneUK wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I'm familiar with the Printworks and Science Museum venues but am right in thinking the screen at Waterloo is still the largest in the country? Perfect immersion for a film like Interstellar. Don't know how the other two remaining compare but it's truly worrisome the way the number of 70mm cinemas in the UK has been shrinking for the past several years. I hear Glasgow recently got rid of theirs.
I'm pretty sure BFI IMAX is the largest screen in the country (and maybe in Europe?).

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 5:17 pm
RrobynneUK wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I'm pretty sure BFI IMAX is the largest screen in the country (and maybe in Europe?).
Correct. Not biggest in Europe though, that's the Brussels IMAX. I haven't been to Manchester, it's the second biggest in the UK and was planning to see Bond there. However, I'd say the Science Museum is a great option for sure.