Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Ace wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
Disney has moved Mulan to the week after Tenet is supposed to release.

Idk why they would release it as such a risky time. They should've pushed it back further or said they delayed it and announce the release at a later time.

speedy117 wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 4:40 pm
I still can't believe that some people are suggesting a VOD release. Yes, many people would have no problem with that, but they definitely would rather delay it than have a VOD premiere.
Look... we all know where Nolan stands when it comes to the theatrical experience vs. streaming. Although I’d hate the wait, I’d prefer it getting delayed so that I can see it in IMAX. But these are unpredictable times. We have no idea when life’s gonna go back to normal. We have no idea when movie theaters will function at full capacity. We have to be realistic.

If we cannot control the virus soon, this shutdown will last longer, until we get a vaccine which isn’t coming any time soon. So, put the film away until who knows when, movie theaters become safe enough for people to go to, or compromise and release it and let people enjoy it (it is entertainment after all, right).

Obviously WB’s goal is to release their tentpoles in theaters but what will they do if things get worse? We’re just trying to see what the options are.

But you see, VOD is never an option. Can we just stop talking about the possibility of a VOD premiere already. It makes no sense because Nolan won’t allow it even sky falls. I really don’t understand why it keeps coming back to this thread.

Can we let people discuss whatever they want to discuss as long as it’s relevant?

I know a lot of you want to believe that Nolan is so stubborn that he’d ignore everything happening in the world and only worry about his movie being shown in theaters. I don’t buy that at all. And if you believe that WB would just store away a 200M+ investment (if things get worse) until God knows when...

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:41 pm
But you see, VOD is never an option. Can we just stop talking about the possibility of a VOD premiere already. It makes no sense because Nolan won’t allow it even sky falls. I really don’t understand why it keeps coming back to this thread.
A true artist wants his art to be seen and enjoyed unconditional upon whether it is profitable.

What's worse than a nuclear holocaust? A delayed Nolan film. It's going to suck that these delayed films aren't going to release worldwide at the same time. There may be many movies that get leaked online. We don't know how different countries are going to be in months. Also I think the gas masks are going to scare the audiences as well =P

geozou1 wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:37 pm
What's worse than a nuclear holocaust? A delayed Nolan film. It's going to suck that these delayed films aren't going to release worldwide at the same time. There may be many movies that get leaked online. We don't know how different countries are going to be in months. Also I think the gas masks are going to scare the audiences as well =P
If only we could go back in time to prevent it from happening...

ninenin wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:37 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:41 pm
A true artist wants his art to be seen and enjoyed unconditional upon whether it is profitable.
If we go by using that reasoning then true passionate artists might also want their art to be seen and enjoyed the right way because, as Nolan has said too, they want to give the audience the best experience possible.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m fine whether the artists choose to go one way or the other to present their work since it doesn’t diminish it, but the present situation won’t right away eradicate theaters either. Even if things were to be different for these places in the long run, or perhaps it will be the same or better, theaters will still be there after all this tragedy calms down. So, if there’s the possibility to watch Tenet in an IMAX theater then I don’t care about waiting and that Nolan alongside WB decide to not show the movie on VOD to play it on IMAX. I’d rather watch it in a theater first definitely.

Ruth wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 4:20 am
since when did people just decide october was for movies like joker only lol

if anything it just proves you don’t need holiday season/summer to have a box office smash hit
lol true

how many more pages do we need of people arguing back and forth about this going to vod. it’s not, it was a joke, please stop it