Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Whatever, who cares...At&t is an internet service provider, no shit they would want to maximize streaming, they want the people on that shit 24/7. I'm glad Nolan took the gamble, otherwise, Tenet would also be bundled with the rest of these movies.

There was no way Tenet was gonna make a lot of money, but it looks like neither are the movies slated to show up on HBOMax, so at least Nolan got his movie into theatres.

The pandemic is affecting every area of life, this is no exception, we can't blame one lone film for the fall of an industry. This narrative is ridiculous.

A Borges man wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:30 pm
There was no way Tenet was gonna make a lot of money, but it looks like neither are the movies slated to show up on HBOMax, so at least Nolan got his movie into theatres.

The pandemic is affecting every area of life, this is no exception, we can't blame one lone film for the fall of an industry. This narrative is ridiculous.
I agree that Tenet wasn’t going to make a lot of money to begin with, although it’s possible that they might’ve been expecting at least 400 or 500 million at the box office too. In any case, those upcoming films will be released on streaming and theaters apparently, so we'll see how that works out when the time comes. But it doesn’t seem either like it’ll give them much in return, given the current situation at least.

Yes, it has and is affecting a lot of areas at many different levels. Can’t really blame one movie for the supposed "fall of cinemas" because, even though they are hurting quite a bit, it isn’t a certain thing yet. We'll have to see how everything develops down the line because, for now, there are just possibilities. Some people are being too tragic or trolling.

It’s undeniable the impact streaming services have had though. Anyways, let’s wait.

Hasn't Syncopy made enough money by now to fully fund Nolans next flick? (yes I know Syncopy is his lol)

Nomis wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:17 am
Hasn't Syncopy made enough money by now to fully fund Nolans next flick? (yes I know Syncopy is his lol)
Take into account the new release of Interstellar and Inception in July/August, which also made some more money. Although not such a big percentage goes to WB as on first release, it's still some more money.

Oku
Here's another super-long, in-depth article on the AT&T-WB situation that doesn't mention 'Nolan' or 'Tenet' even once:

Inside AT&T’s WarnerMedia as it dismantles the old Time Warner to battle Netflix
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/att-dis ... story.html

tl;dr: Netflix envy, and a new AT&T overlord willing to blow up WB, WB's films, and WB's culture in a desperate bid to make HBO MAX happen

No mention of Tenet's underperformance--which I'm sure didn't help the situation, but again, was not big enough of a factor to warrant even a single mention in this lengthy analysis of the situation.

:gonf:

yep. if it isn't covered by the media, it's not happening. critical thinking 101 people

Let me get this straight.

The only summer blockbuster, WB released this summer, crashed and burned, and they are moving completely into streaming service territory after waiting to see the full results of that, and some of you people genuinely believe that it has nothing or very little to do with Nolan?

Master Virgo wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 4:38 am

The only summer blockbuster, WB released this summer, crashed and burned, and they are moving completely into streaming service territory after waiting to see the full results of that, and some of you people genuinely believe that it has nothing or very little to do with Nolan?
Tenet most likely was one of the striking key factors, specially considering John Stankey apparently said "I can’t tell you we walked away from the ‘Tenet’ experience saying it was a home run" but the situation in the world right now is still volatile. It's hard to say if the impact of all this will erase the theater medium completely when there are many possible variables.

One thing is for sure, there’ll be some sort of change. So we’ll see if the assumed "fall of cinemas" ends up happening as some people are predicting. Whatever your stance on the matter, there’s nothing more than to wait.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 4:38 am

Crashed and burned in the USA!*
The problem is USA and not the box office or Nolan. Tenet was successful in many countries, surpassed Dunkirk and even Interstellar. Just look at the box office gross in Germany, Japan etc. And Covid was also in those countries. And yes the cinemas in these countries had also restrictions. But they made it anyway. So why not in the US?

2 reasons:
1. Bad handling of the pandemic by the US government
2. Election year. Many democrat states exxagerated the restrictions. Because a return to normality would have been a plus point for the Trump campaign
Movie theaters (and other industry sectors) in the US were victims of politics