Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I have a question. Is it already official that the budget was just 200 million? Because I remember many articles ranging this between 200 to 225.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm
I have a question. Is it already official that the budget was just 200 million? Because I remember many articles ranging this between 200 to 225.
$205 million, not including marketing.

I liked when it seemed like a few projects in a row it was like constantly $160 million. Maybe I’m mistaken.

But hey, Dunkirk was cheap and got the studio more money than expected, so I think he was owed the other side of things this time.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:07 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Tenet has barely any CGI. And no expensive A-List actors. I wonder how a 200 million budget emerged. Is shooting in several countries really that expensive? I can only think of the road closing in Tallinn as a expensive case. And the construction of Stalsk-12. I feel like Tenet could have been made significantly cheaper. So the movie wouldn't have to deal with being a financial failure. But at the end of the day I am just an amateur in a fan forum and they are the professionals.
Road closure was for sure an expensive cost. The plane sequence was also probably expensive.

I can't say that I know what goes in all costs, but I am not too surprised by its overall budget. Quantum of Solace was somehow a more expensive movie (I know you have to pay Daniel Craig and Judi Dench, but that didn't tip them over even another $10 million).

I think it had to be the suits. ;)
Well, after all, Brooks Brothers wasn't gonna cut it.
Why didn't they just plant fields of corn in each country and sell it? Box office + corn = profit.

Deadline just reported that theaters are about to shutdown in San Diego due to rising infections. This is really bad news

KEM
Realistically, should we expect this to effect future budgets for Nolan films? I want to be optimistic and say no, personally, but I’d like to get other opinions

KEM wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Realistically, should we expect this to effect future budgets for Nolan films? I want to be optimistic and say no, personally, but I’d like to get other opinions
Hard to say. Studios might be more tighter budget for couple of years post Covid to everyone. Studios are really hurting right now.

Market left: India, Romania, Armenia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, El Salvador, Venezuela, Cyprus, Argentina and Colombia

Could be some $$ in these markets

If it continues to have solid legs in the coming weeks it can reach very respectable numbers internationally.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 4:11 pm
KEM wrote:
Hard to say. Studios might be more tighter budget for couple of years post Covid to everyone. Studios are really hurting right now.
Warner Bros has not much tentpole potential besides DC and Harry Potter and Nolan. Hell he even made over 500 million dollar with a experimental british perspective WW2 film! :lol: He enjoys so much trust from WB (that he legitimately earned it since Insomnia)...I don't think WB will cut off his future budgets. They would only harm themselves. Other studios stand in line for Nolan. One box office fail (during a pandemic!) will not ruin that relationship. The Wachowski Sisters landed 3 box office bombs in a row. And they still get big budgets from WB :shock:

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 4:11 pm
KEM wrote:
Warner Bros has not much tentpole potential besides DC and Harry Potter and Nolan. Hell he even made over 500 million dollar with a experimental british perspective WW2 film! :lol: He enjoys so much trust from WB (that he legitimately earned it since Insomnia)...I don't think WB will cut off his future budgets. They would only harm themselves. Other studios stand in line for Nolan. One box office fail (during a pandemic!) will not ruin that relationship. The Wachowski Sisters landed 3 box office bombs in a row. And they still get big budgets from WB :shock:
What do you mean they still get big budgets? If you are talking about The Matrix 4 then I get it. But before that, after Jupiter’s Ascending, WB and The Wachowskis went their separate ways. Although they were still getting support from WB despite their other film’s results preceding Jupiter, yes.

I agree. This pandemic isn’t helping the film. Even with some mixed reviews, it would‘ve probably made more money than it is right now with different circumstances. WB and Nolan knew the risks they were taking releasing it during this time. It was inevitable. They can only hope for a beneficial longer run in theaters for Tenet.