Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Mulan just got a 9/11 (yes, u read it right) release date in China. Not a good sign for Tenet, which opens a week earlier.

Disney u fucking pig

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 1:44 am
Mulan just got a 9/11 (yes, u read it right) release date in China. Not a good sign for Tenet, which opens a week earlier.

Disney is literally trying to fuck Tenet and it is hilarious

-Vader

LeoCobb wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 8:32 pm
TENET postponed to 10/15 here in Brazil... :crazy: :roll:
at least they give you dates mate, chile isnt even thinking about reopening anything for months :cry:

Vader182 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 1:49 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:

-Vader
Maybe Disney is pissed off or envious, because of the unexpected good international opening weekend of Tenet. 53 million was way higher than the industry predictions. It showed that releasing Mulan on VOD is/was a major mistake.

@Dunkierke you are chinese right? What is your china box office prediction? I would say Tenet will gross aprox 50 million in its opening weekend. And with Mulan afterwards it will be hard to reach the 100.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am
Vader182 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 1:49 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:

-Vader
Maybe Disney is pissed off or envious, because of the unexpected good international opening weekend of Tenet. 53 million was way higher than the industry predictions. It showed that releasing Mulan on VOD is/was a major mistake.

@Dunkierke you are chinese right? What is your china box office prediction? I would say Tenet will gross aprox 50 million in its opening weekend. And with Mulan afterwards it will be hard to reach the 100.
the pre-sale numbers obviously doesn't look so good...

Tenet‘s launch in China is looking at around a $40M three-day cume, though some see higher, even projecting $50M. This is partially dependent on how local smash The Eight Hundred holds. It dipped only 15% across the FSS this weekend and hit $300M yesterday. Tenet currently leads presales in China for the coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Most Imax screens will roll over from The Eight Hundred to Tenet, which was shot with the large-format exhibitor’s cameras.

Of all offshore markets back in operation, China is one of the stars, bolstered by eventized reissues (including Nolan’s Interstellar and more recently Inception, which grossed $2.9M this past weekend) and new local titles. Since reopening July 20, it has not had any coronavirus-related setbacks, but it can still be changeable.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-mula ... 234569143/

El Especial wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:04 pm
I really hope the number is closer to the higher end/the Deadline projections. I think anything below $40m would be disappointing.

Looks like Tenet is heading for a soft $25-30 million weekend in China. A little disappointing to be honest. Forecasters speculate a $20-25 gross in the US.

We have to consider its legs, many will not go the first or second weekend. No doubt Tenet will play for a long time, but having seen the film myself I'm not convinced it will play that well for the average moviegoer. Getting mixed reviews will not help.

Hoping to be surprised in a good way on monday.

Tenet is already at a user score of 84% on RT (Interstellar is at 86%) and it's just going to drop more and more from there. These scores seldom go up over time. Metacritic user scores are at an 8, already lower than Rises, Interstellar, etc. The extremely low (for Nolan) IMDB speaks for itself. If Tenet succeeds at the box office, it won't be because of its positive word of mouth.

Let me put this all in another perspective: if many of us, the most biased, forgiving, pro-Nolan sample size out there are giving his movie 8s, imagine how average audiences will feel.

These way below projection numbers will feed into this.

-Vader