Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Ace

Way too early to have this conversation. He literally just put out a movie. His next project won’t be out for another 2-3 years and who knows how things will be then.

Ace wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 2:47 pm
You forgot to put the context XD

I'm sure Nolan will understand the situation, plus his next film is in like 2-3 years :lol:

Interesting. Although If I remember correctly Nolan once complimented Amazon for releasing films in theaters too despite later on having them on their platform. I don’t think such a thing would make him consider looking for a change. Besides, the situation right now isn’t like it used to be before the pandemic so they are adapting for the moment (possibly permanently? I don’t know). And to the best of my recollection, I believe Nolan addressed something like that in an interview unless I’m wrong. What will happen in the future? It’s anyone’s guess.

That's not to say streaming services haven’t had an impact because it’s a fact, but it’s also too early to say with certainty what the state of the world in the business of entertainment will be after things start to get somewhat better.

For all we know, it could even strengthen Nolan’s relationship with WB in the end (or not). We'll see.

I can see WB making an exception for Nolan. That is, if this new model will still be ongoing some years from now, I mean Nolan isn't surprise dropping a new blockbuster next year lol

imagine aggressively pushing a movie to release no matter what and it flops so hard the entire studio abandons theatrical exhibition completely for more than a year. good job chris!

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:19 pm
imagine aggressively pushing a movie to release no matter what and it flops so hard the entire studio abandons theatrical exhibition completely for more than a year. good job chris!

-Vader
Can’t tell if shitpost or not

How are they abandoning theatrical exhibition? HBO Max is only available at the States so all other countries will get traditional theatrical releases and US theaters will get those movies too. It's not like they made the movies HBO Max exclusive!

And Tenet did well internationally - but it underperformed domestically.

I really don't mind this tbh. I don't have access to HBO Max anyway so I'll be seeing some of these films on the big screen.

Theaters in North America are going to be devastated because of this decision. Other studios may take a similar path, too.

And big surprise(!) Tenet did well ish overseas and bombed hard in the states. Of course this is a reaction to Tenet's performance. That's not even debatable.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on December 3rd, 2020, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader, i cant see how any of that is in any way Chris`s fault, and you cant blame him for defending something wich he believes in so much either, we should be mad at the fact that studios chose to protect their economic interests and throw cinemas under the bus, using the argument of sustainability when we know how big corporations love to play the victim, its simple for them, capitalize the profits, socialize the losses, so i think its wrong to point the finger at Chris at all.