Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM
neb4ever wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 10:08 pm
Los Angeles County theaters can reopen October 9th
Hey I was born on that day!

KEM wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:57 pm
neb4ever wrote:
Hey I was born on that day!
A birthday sounds like a perfect excuse to hit the theaters, then!

neb4ever wrote:
yay

https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-mula ... 234585913/
Turning back to Tenet, there were very strong holds in several markets including France (-13%), Germany (+9%), Holland (+8%), Italy (-17%), UK (-21%), Korea (-28%) and Australia (-21%). The Top 5 offshore hubs are China ($64.3M), UK ($19.6M), France ($18M), Germany ($14.6M) and Korea ($13.1M). There are still 25 overseas markets yet to open
We europeans truly did our job ;) In Germany & France , Tenet surpassed Dunkirk and is about to overtake Interstellar ($18M in Germany, $19M in France). UK, Italy & Russia grosses are solid.

China disappointed (Tenet $64,3M - Interstellar $121M). Maybe the local competitor (The Eight Hundred) was a bit too strong. And even Disney failed with Mulan (as of today, Tenet grossed in China more than Mulan :lol: ). South Korea is a major disappointment (Tenet $13,1M - Interstellar $68M) . Japan did a very great job (Tenet $11,4M - Interstellar $10,3M). Australia is solid (Tenet $6,5M - Interstellar $16,9M).

If California & New York finally open I see domestic total gross of $80-100M until december. A worldwide total gross of $330-350M. Thats about the half of my pre-covid box office prediction. Sad.

Things we learned:
- americans handle pandemics like a third world country
- americans are afraid to go the movie theaters (even though there is worldwide no big covid incident related to a movie theater, the security concept works, but some idiots still yelling they risking their life when going to the movies :facepalm: )
- movie theaters were a victim of arbitrarily closings. Maybe political motivated? (return to normality - good for Trumps election campaign, bad for democrats election campaign)
- general audiences seem to dislike movies without unsubtle pathos (like in Nolans previous films).
- Tenet was too adult. The movie clearly failed to attract younger demographics. According to comscore 65% of US audiences were over 25 years old. Marketing on Fortnite was not enough huh :lol:
- some people say the movie had no starpower (but I disagree, besides Leo DiCaprio there are no real guaranteed box office Hollywood stars anymore. Look how bad most movies of all those marvel stars perform without the name marvel on it. An A-List actor besides Leo wouldn't have made a big difference)

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 7:12 am
Turning back to Tenet, there were very strong holds in several markets including France (-13%), Germany (+9%), Holland (+8%), Italy (-17%), UK (-21%), Korea (-28%) and Australia (-21%). The Top 5 offshore hubs are China ($64.3M), UK ($19.6M), France ($18M), Germany ($14.6M) and Korea ($13.1M). There are still 25 overseas markets yet to open
We europeans truly did our job ;) In Germany & France , Tenet surpassed Dunkirk and is about to overtake Interstellar ($18M in Germany, $19M in France). UK, Italy & Russia grosses are solid.

China disappointed (Tenet $64,3M - Interstellar $121M). Maybe the local competitor (The Eight Hundred) was a bit too strong. And even Disney failed with Mulan (as of today, Tenet grossed in China more than Mulan :lol: ). South Korea is a major disappointment (Tenet $13,1M - Interstellar $68M) . Japan did a very great job (Tenet $11,4M - Interstellar $10,3M). Australia is solid (Tenet $6,5M - Interstellar $16,9M).

If California & New York finally open I see domestic total gross of $80-100M until december. A worldwide total gross of $330-350M. Thats about the half of my pre-covid box office prediction. Sad.

Things we learned:
- americans are afraid to go the movie theaters (even though there is worldwide no big covid incident related to a movie theater, the security concept works, but some idiots still yelling they risking their life when going to the movies :facepalm: )
- movie theaters were a victim of arbitrarily closings. Maybe political motivated? (return to normality - good for Trumps election campaign, bad for democrats election campaign)
- general audiences seem to dislike movies without unsubtle pathos (like in Nolans previous films).
- Tenet was too adult. The movie clearly failed to attract younger demographics. According to comscore 65% of US audiences were over 25 years old. Marketing on Fortnite was not enough huh :lol:
- some people say the movie had no starpower (but I disagree, besides Leo DiCaprio there are no real guaranteed box office Hollywood stars anymore. Look how bad most movies of all those marvel stars perform without the name marvel on it. An A-List actor besides Leo wouldn't have made a big difference)
Ummm I think some third world countries have handled the pandemic in a more mindful way than a first world country like North Americans even if you consider the differences surrounding their data and circumstances when compared. Handles the pandemic like most third world countries? Seems more fitting. Certainly US had the resources and knowledge to handle this situation way better than it has but many things like politics in the middle of it have been a reason why it’s the way it is unfortunately.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on September 28th, 2020, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

On sunday I'll be going for a third time with friends (Belgium). Curious to how many others I'll see in our showing.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 8:09 am
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
Things we learned:
Ummm I think some third world countries have handled the pandemic in a more mindful way than a first world country like North Americans even if you consider the differences surrounding their data and circumstances when compared. Handles the pandemic like most third world countries? Seems more fitting. Certainly US had the resources and knowledge to handle this situation way better than it has but many things like politics in the middle of it have been a reason why it’s the way it is unfortunately.
Maybe he's not saying we handle the pandemic like third-world countries do, and instead he's saying we handle the pandemic like we handle third-world countries. :oops:

As for the list, you're missing a big one or two: many people do not even know their theaters are open. Those that do have no idea what the hell Tenet even is. Somebody else was mentioning that their immediately close friend circle haven't ever heard of the movie, and I'm essentially in the exact same boat.

I think it would have had proper exposure and word-of-mouth if there was no pandemic and this got a summer release. No, it wouldn't have gotten the same word as Inception, but the name would have gotten around much, much more.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:

Things we learned:
Agree with all.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:

Things we learned:
Excellent post

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
Turning back to Tenet, there were very strong holds in several markets including France (-13%), Germany (+9%), Holland (+8%), Italy (-17%), UK (-21%), Korea (-28%) and Australia (-21%). The Top 5 offshore hubs are China ($64.3M), UK ($19.6M), France ($18M), Germany ($14.6M) and Korea ($13.1M). There are still 25 overseas markets yet to

Things we learned:
From Aussie,
Numbers are actually weak .
Melbourne which is a big market over here has been in lockdown unfortunately.
Inception ,rises and TD all crossed 35 million over here