Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I’ve always maintained I think Oct is the best release date for Tenet, little competition and it’ll have a full month run without big interference. But knowing Nolan wanted to keep the saviour of movie theatres complex, I think Warner Bros should just push it to WW84’s slot

https://collider.com/tenet-release-date ... ning-july/
In fact, I’m not buying much of anything regarding this new (inflated?) figure, and it remains mind-boggling to me that WB hasn’t delayed the release of Tenet, even if it’s only by a month. The studio is playing an ill-advised game of chicken with a deadly virus, and counting on countless teenage theater employees across the country to immaculately clean theaters when many, hardworking though they may be, still have trouble cleaning their own bedrooms.
This guy seems to have his own agenda.

Jeff Sneider is.... weird. i wouldn’t give much thought to that piece.

but there probably is internal debate as they make final decisions, which makes it possible it leaked down to someone lower that he could’ve talked to. If i was betting, I’d say they go with July 17th, there’s not a ton to gain by moving back to August

Sky007 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Jeff Sneider is.... weird. i wouldn’t give much thought to that piece.

but there probably is internal debate as they make final decisions, which makes it possible it leaked down to someone lower that he could’ve talked to. If i was betting, I’d say they go with July 17th, there’s not a ton to gain by moving back to August
He’ve always been outspoken on Twitter that TENET needs to move.

Jeff Snider wouldn't know as much as the high ranking executives in the cinema chain and distribution business.

I am sure Warner Brothers have been communicating with cinema chains all around the world. They probably have some insider info about when governments plan to reopen cinemas around the world. They refuse to make it public because they aren't suppose to divulge their discussion.

I live in SoCal and my county has transitioned to Phase 3 reopening last week, even though the number of daily new cases have been pretty much a constant for months.

The important thing is for cinema chains to prepare opening their theaters in a safe way. I don't think this will be huge issue.

Sneider is a good reporter, but I don't buy it. Nolan and Co would not have released that new trailer if they were just planning on delaying it to the fall. It's either July 17 or August 14 or whatever that date is. A further delay could happen, but this movie will be the movie that opens theaters back up. They're not gonna push it to December. That would make the release of the new trailer nonsensical

El Especial wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 7:32 pm
https://collider.com/tenet-release-date ... ning-july/
In fact, I’m not buying much of anything regarding this new (inflated?) figure, and it remains mind-boggling to me that WB hasn’t delayed the release of Tenet, even if it’s only by a month. The studio is playing an ill-advised game of chicken with a deadly virus, and counting on countless teenage theater employees across the country to immaculately clean theaters when many, hardworking though they may be, still have trouble cleaning their own bedrooms.
This guy seems to have his own agenda.
where's the lie though

-Vader

There's also the factor of politics. The exhibition industry has built a whole house of cards around reopenings based on Tenet not moving. Hell, in some countries like Ireland where they can't open until August they're lobbying governments to let them open in time. Multiple people in that side of the industry (and even some in distribution) have said even publicly it would be devastating for Tenet to move. Everyone is utterly terrified, be it because of needing to reshuffle release schedules, or an inability to open at all even if governments give the green light.

So if WB is seriously considering a release date change they won't announce it to even bifb ranking exhibition people until they are 100% ready and have a date

Also guys, there's gonna be a spike in cases in the next fortnight with the protests happening. If governments are still opening up as planned after that then that's even more reason to not take them at their word re: is it safe.

Thing is most of America isn't social distancing anymore, even before the mass protest. And "flattening the curve" and such only works if a large percentage is participating. Is going to a spread out movie theater which can better limit capacity more dangerous than going to a crowded bar or restaurant?

Also, I like Jeff Sneider, he gets decent scoops, but he does have "personal axes to grind" in alot of his post, and he has been very vocal about Tenet being delayed.

They might not be, doesn’t mean it’s still right for stuff to open up and potentially risk another outbreak. The whole Cinemark masks debate goes to show how clearly the industry won’t be doing its absolute best to protect customers. Hell, here in the UK, if you read that Variety pièce on the research data, exhibitors want to decrease the social distancing regulations to 1m just because that’s what other countries, which didn’t fuck up in their response to the virus and are gonna be perfectly okay opening things up in July, have.

Ultimately that’s what it comes down to. Trust, or lack thereof, in the government guidelines from which the industry is working.