Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
antovolk wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 10:52 am

In early June, executives at Warner Bros. convened a video meeting with their top filmmaker, Christopher Nolan, and his producer and wife, Emma Thomas, to strategize about the release of his $200 million espionage movie, Tenet, which at the time was due to open July 17. The studio laid out several theoretical scenarios for Nolan, listing likely profits and losses with his movie being released on different dates, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the call. Presented with an economic case for moving Tenet months into the future, when presumably the novel coronavirus would be a more contained threat and box office grosses more reliable, Nolan pushed back. It wasn't about money, he said, expressing instead the desire to be the first big studio film back in theaters, to show faith in the form and solidarity with exhibitors, when they're allowed to open and say they're ready.
So THR updated the story, changing the 'months into the future' to August 7 and removed the 'Nolan pushed back'.

And.... https://www.slashfilm.com/tenet-release-updates/
UPDATE: The info for this story was taken from a report in The Hollywood Reporter, but a source close to the production has told us THR’s reporting on the matter was inaccurate. We’ve updated parts of our story below.
Last edited by antovolk on July 9th, 2020, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nolan + WB are on damage control. To be honest they need to read the room, just keep their mouths shut and push Tenet back. They're doing themselves more harm than good every time articles like this are published because, it exposes them to being ridiculed when media use clickbait headlines to implicate Nolan or twist words to insinuate turbulence between Nolan + WB when there isn't

This whole thing became so sticky and fucked up.

I am on Nolan’s side to be honest. I’m not going to repeat myself on that matter. But seeing the fuckery that is happening in the US under the failed leadership of that who shall not be named, I think they should back out. He’s pushing for things to open hack up even when numbers continue to rise - he and his government don’t give a shit about people’s health. I honestly don’t know how things will get better in the US under his command.

intersteIIarx wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 4:03 am
Nolan + WB are on damage control. To be honest they need to read the room, just keep their mouths shut and push Tenet back. They're doing themselves more harm than good every time articles like this are published because, it exposes them to being ridiculed when media use clickbait headlines to implicate Nolan or twist words to insinuate turbulence between Nolan + WB when there isn't
A lot of people against or in favor of reopening theaters are following their own agenda so expect to see these articles to be doing something similar when presenting information on the matter. I mean, that’s why we get mad critics on twitter for example backlashing on Nolan because he’s supposedly making them go watch his film while forsaking any care for their health and whatnot. We have seen that the film has been pushed back once spikes began, so I believe that if things keep going the way they are, it will be pushed back once again.

If you ask me, WB is using a different marketing strategy with pushing Tenet over and over again if they continue to do so. One thing I can say, though, is that WB might be quite happy with Tenet because this insistence on putting it out wouldn’t happen if they weren’t so sure the film is a much safer bet If we see it from a different perspective. Of course, Nolan could also be a factor (not in a non amicable way) but still... it might also mean the movie is indeed quite something special nonetheless. I mean, studios sometimes know when a movie will be bad but it can still please regular audiences as to make money out of it so they go along. Now, that last argument could also apply to Tenet but since this is Nolan, it’s highly unlikely the movie is bad. And assuming the quote is accurate, WB did say they are quite proud of it too. We can only hope.

El Especial wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 4:11 pm
Expect other films including TENET to announce another move-back sometime this week.
Universal announced on Wednesday it was moving the Candyman release date from September 25 to October 16, 2020. No official reason was given by the studio. However, it feels fairly safe to assume Candyman‘s new release date is the result of ongoing concerns across the film industry on when it will be safe to open movie theaters and resume filming as the world deals with the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://collider.com/candyman-2020-release-date-delay/
Universal Pictures has announced new releases dates for their upcoming horror headliners, including the much-hyped sequels to 2018’s Halloween revival. Halloween Kills moves from October 16, 2020 to October 15, 2021 with the followup Halloween Ends shifting from October 15, 2021 to October 14, 2022.
Candyman’s move was likely to take advantage of Halloween Kills leaving the October slot.

antovolk wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 8:53 am
UPDATE: In regards to the Hollywood Reporter report cited here, a source familiar with the matter tells Uproxx, “The studio determines the release date. It’s not up to Christopher Nolan.”
https://uproxx.com/movies/tenet-christo ... -theaters/
Yea, but the damage is already done though to Nolan's reputation and many will choose to belief that this is just spin to cover for Nolan.

When this gets delayed again. It should go to January. January is open and it would qualify for Oscars. And restart the marketing campaign thanksgiving day. Should the trailer during the thanksgiving football games for a lot of exposure.

Australia going through our 2nd wave where coronavirus cases are spiking higher than the the first wave. We've also been told to wear masks, there's no way cinemas will be open by August.

intersteIIarx wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 12:42 am
Australia going through our 2nd wave where coronavirus cases are spiking higher than the the first wave. We've also been told to wear masks, there's no way cinemas will be open by August.
Debbie Downer