Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 2:34 pm
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... in-the-u-s
Warner Bros. is reporting that the big-budget espionage pic earned $4.7 million domestically from 2,930 theaters in its third weekend for a North American total of $36.1 million. The studio insists that Tenet is far from over and anticipates a huge bump in ticket sales as more cinemas on both coasts are allowed to flip on the lights.

Internationally — where theaters are ahead of their U.S. counterparts in terms of reopenings — Tenet grossed another $25 million for a foreign tally of $214 million and a worldwide total of $250.1 million. That includes a pleasing China total of $60 million.
The drop is still very low. At least.
Any news when NY & California will open?
Proly 2022

The Special One wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 11:46 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
Warner Bros. is reporting that the big-budget espionage pic earned $4.7 million domestically from 2,930 theaters in its third weekend for a North American total of $36.1 million. The studio insists that Tenet is far from over and anticipates a huge bump in ticket sales as more cinemas on both coasts are allowed to flip on the lights.

Internationally — where theaters are ahead of their U.S. counterparts in terms of reopenings — Tenet grossed another $25 million for a foreign tally of $214 million and a worldwide total of $250.1 million. That includes a pleasing China total of $60 million.
Proly 2022
I mean I guess theaters just open when they choose to, sort of? Or when their respective mayors allow them to? Napa has some open, San Diego and LA obviously do, I caught my second viewing about 40 minutes away from me at a Regal in the Sacramento area...

I just hope the SF Metreon will open soon, is all.

Let's acknowledge the fact that Tenet is doing decent numbers for a movie that released during a pandemic with mostly to mixed reviews and major complaints of sound. We all know it wasn't going to do inception numbers during a pandemic and without a famous lead role. If it was some other lesser known Director, the film would've barely touched $150 million. Nolan's still amazes me.

Follower wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 12:29 am
Let's acknowledge the fact that Tenet is doing decent numbers for a movie that released during a pandemic with mostly to mixed reviews and major complaints of sound. We all know it wasn't going to do inception numbers during a pandemic and without a famous lead role. If it was some other lesser known Director, the film would've barely touched $150 million. Nolan's still amazes me.
"Mostly mixed reviews" isn’t quite true though. And Dunkirk has shown not having a famous lead role isn’t a stop to Nolan’s reach. Basically, a lot of people care more about him than the actors nowadays when a film has his name on it.

Follower wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 12:29 am
Especially with 50 percent capacity I think it has done well.
If the budget wasnt so big it would have made a profit.
I think they expected the us to do atleast 150 and 300 overseas .
The us market has definitely not helped the movie.
I dont see any big budget movie getting profits anytime soon .

I just have one opinion: Kudos to them for trying to save movie theaters. No new movies until november, if it's even going to release. Pretty soon they will all go bankrupt or losing alot of staff. At least somebody tried, and I respect them for that.

People who say Tenet is having a miserable box office run should consider the world we live in at this moment in time. Avengers Endgame wouldn't make almost 3 billion right now either.

MorenoVL wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 3:36 am
I just have one opinion: Kudos to them for trying to save movie theaters. No new movies until november, if it's even going to release. Pretty soon they will all go bankrupt or losing alot of staff. At least somebody tried, and I respect them for that.

People who say Tenet is having a miserable box office run should consider the world we live in at this moment in time. Avengers Endgame wouldn't make almost 3 billion right now either.
To be honest “One movie saving cinema” concept was wrong from the beginning. TENET is good movie but even if we considered Nolan’s highest grossing even with inflation, it wouldn’t be more than $1.4B and even that amount can’t save worldwide cinema.
Hats off to Nolan and team for standing firm with their decision and even trying hard but it wasn’t a good decision.

Grossed $630k in China and $1,6M in Japan (holiday) today. Opens in a lot South American markets on the 24th.

Caped Crusader wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 8:35 am
To be honest “One movie saving cinema” concept was wrong from the beginning. TENET is good movie but even if we considered Nolan’s highest grossing even with inflation, it wouldn’t be more than $1.4B and even that amount can’t save worldwide cinema.
Hats off to Nolan and team for standing firm with their decision and even trying hard but it wasn’t a good decision.
The "saving cinema" was never a real thing to begin with (I don’t know why some people keep going on and on about that), and I don’t remember WB or Nolan claiming Tenet would save them (if I’m not mistaken that was something written in articles) but that they wanted to help theaters through their hardship although they more than likely knew that eventually it would have to be a collective work because one film can’t save them overall, it’s just unrealistic to think otherwise. I didn’t agree for the most part with Tenet coming out during this time for different reasons, but I respect them for taking the hit to help theaters, which they knew would happen in one way or another as well. Wrong decision? I can agree although they were aware of the risks. But we know it and it’s already done now so there’s no point in thinking about it. Therefore, just wonder how Tenet and theaters will do going forward with the film running for a longer time. That’s all we can do, and what WB and Nolan can hope to be beneficial for the movie and theaters for the moment.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:

CA is actually partially open.