Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
If it opens in July, does it mean that we won't get decent primieres of the film? Or the real-life promo in general which normally starts in May. If that's the case, it sucks. I wanna see Nolan/JDW/Pattinson/Debicki doing press junket together and I believe this is a mutual feeling.

The end of April should be telling for what lies ahead with the virus. They don't really need to announce a delay until around then.

ninenin wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 8:53 pm
Ruth wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:34 pm
i’ve been thinking that, too.

people need to stop being so obsessed with the box office now. the times have already changed, and everything is way too unpredictable. a lot of movies won’t earn their biggest numbers they could have if the pandemic hadn’t happened. i could actually picture nolan still wanting tenet to open in july, even with lower attendance numbers, to make a statement. at this point you’re risking financial losses whether you open in october, december, or next year. but if things get at least somewhat better by july, being the first or one of the first big studio movies to open after one of the most devastating events our generation has ever dealt with, that’s very risky. but also very ballsy and likely historic for film. and unless promo is done in some embarrassingly tone deaf way, could absolutely make people go and see it
Given there might not be many releases for the rest of the year (due to many movies getting rescheduled to next year) esp. not many IMAX movies, a good solution for trying to maximize the box office of Tenet could be to extend how long it plays in theatres. keep it playing through the whole summer into early 2021 if necessary. People will gradually feel comfortable with going to theatres again during that time.
Wonder Woman 1984, Top Gun Maverick and No Time To Die say hi

Ruth wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:34 pm
i’ve been thinking that, too.

people need to stop being so obsessed with the box office now. the times have already changed, and everything is way too unpredictable. a lot of movies won’t earn their biggest numbers they could have if the pandemic hadn’t happened. i could actually picture nolan still wanting tenet to open in july, even with lower attendance numbers, to make a statement. at this point you’re risking financial losses whether you open in october, december, or next year. but if things get at least somewhat better by july, being the first or one of the first big studio movies to open after one of the most devastating events our generation has ever dealt with, that’s very risky. but also very ballsy and likely historic for film. and unless promo is done in some embarrassingly tone deaf way, could absolutely make people go and see it
I agree. I can definitely see Nolan standing behind this. Also keeping it in theaters for a bit longer than usual, granted if people do in fact come of course, then that could be a good way to cope with the situation, too.

All in all, if they still decide to release this in July assuming things will at least be a bit better by then, then I also think press stuff will hugely decrease. Nolan getting to keep more of the film close to the vest before release will sound like music to his ears :P

Yeah, even if this sounds a bit absurd, given that this pandemic is really a tragedy, but Nolan is achieving now what he always wanted: if they keep the July release date, then we end up with a film where there's three months left until its premiere and we don't know ANYTHING.

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 6:47 am
Yeah, even if this sounds a bit absurd, given that this pandemic is really a tragedy, but Nolan is achieving now what he always wanted: if they keep the July release date, then we end up with a film where there's three months left until its premiere and we don't know ANYTHING.
But also, other than some of us, no one cares at this point. I think movies are very irrelevant in people's minds at this time.

LelekPL wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 7:25 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
But also, other than some of us, no one cares at this point. I think movies are very irrelevant in people's minds at this time.
People still do care about movies and shows, just not movie theaters. We’re just very fortunate to have Netflix and co. because if most of us weren’t currently too busy obsessing over Tiger King, we’d be going insane. Even during the worst of times, we want normalcy and escapism. But within the next few months, once we’re (hopefully) no longer facing the worst of the worst, after the quarantine, people will want normalcy and fun, and entertainment even more. And it won’t be the same as it used to be for a long while, but at some point someone will need to offer people that. Tenet could be that.

LelekPL wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
I wanted to say that in a way you're right of course, but on the other hand, Ruth has a very good point: I'm pretty sure streaming services are having the time of their lives, so it would be weird to say that people don't care about films at the moment. Still, I agree that public safety and the resolution of this pandemic are - obviously - priorities over film premiere dates.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 10:54 pm
If it opens in July, does it mean that we won't get decent primieres of the film? Or the real-life promo in general which normally starts in May. If that's the case, it sucks. I wanna see Nolan/JDW/Pattinson/Debicki doing press junket together and I believe this is a mutual feeling.
I was very much looking forward to this as well. I was actually rewatching interviews from the Dunkirk press junket and Interstellar before all this started, just to get myself pumped for Tenet's press tour. I was almost as excited for this as I was for the movie itself. Watching Nolan, JDW, Pattinson, and Debicki do interviews together would have been so much fun! And we probably would have gotten to hear what filming was like, which would have been awesome. Very bummed indeed.

Ruth wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 8:56 am
LelekPL wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
People still do care about movies and shows, just not movie theaters. We’re just very fortunate to have Netflix and co. because if most of us weren’t currently too busy obsessing over Tiger King, we’d be going insane. Even during the worst of times, we want normalcy and escapism. But within the next few months, once we’re (hopefully) no longer facing the worst of the worst, after the quarantine, people will want normalcy and fun, and entertainment even more. And it won’t be the same as it used to be for a long while, but at some point someone will need to offer people that. Tenet could be that.
Media does relatively well during recessions because of this. A lot of theatres and production companies will fail however.