Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Ace wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 11:15 am
Push it back, WB.

Actually, the analytics don't look that bad for cinemas in the link you have provided:

Obviously cinemas will be low on the importance scale as they're mostly entertainment which is not necessary. But they are also the lowest on Cumulative Danger, which is surprising. The risk is lower than in any other business on the scale. If anything, gyms are looking very bad.

:gonf:

Ace

That open letter is good, and I'm starting to lean towards the "delay it" group... my main and only reason for wanting to see it in July is the fact that I can't imagine waiting another day even to see this. It's utterly selfish, but sometimes I thought of this getting released at the end of the year - hell, maybe even next July - and I got shivers. But I had a deal in my mind: delay the thing, release it this Fall, but please give us another, full length trailer. That is something I can wrap my head around and live with. I just need to see SOMETHING. Release a new trailer and I'm okay with the delay. Come on.

The thing is, what makes people think it would be safer to release movies during Fall than Summer, when there's talk about a second wave of corona hitting around Fall/Winter? Granted i hope there isn't actually a 2nd wave, but it's possible.

Ace wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:09 am

I'm probably gonna get torn apart by the mob here, but someone should write an open letter to Nolan telling him not to listen to that dude. "Death sentence"?, please, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the theatre than contracting COVID in the theatre and dying from it (with planned physical distancing in place). Only agree with the final article.

ninenin wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
I'm probably gonna get torn apart by the mob here, but someone should write an open letter to Nolan telling him not to listen to that dude. "Death sentence"?, please, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the theatre than contracting COVID in the theatre and dying from it (with planned physical distancing in place). Only agree with the final article.
That article was for sure overly dramatic and also a little disrespectful at parts. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the theater - it is a choice. Things are opening back up in the US, people are going back to work. Where I'm at, some movie theaters have already opened, restaurants have opened, and gyms are supposed to open back up on Monday. So why are theaters getting so much negativity about when they plan to open? Again, nobody has to go see a movie.

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:47 am
The thing is, what makes people think it would be safer to release movies during Fall than Summer, when there's talk about a second wave of corona hitting around Fall/Winter? Granted i hope there isn't actually a 2nd wave, but it's possible.
At the very least by fall/winter 1. people would be more accustomed to the new normal, including cinemas restrictions if they reopen as planned 2. there should hopefully be somewhat accessible treatment and/or at the very least widespread testing and contact tracing. We'll be better prepared to tackle the 2nd wave if it comes, vs back in February...

@marshallmurphy - you're discounting the cultural event/FOMO and yes, spoiler factor in all this. The choice will be - potentially risk your life, OR wait until Christmas for the Blu-ray. Imagine if Endgame was in this position. Is that really a choice?

also I remain :lol: at that Vanity Fair article and others seriously lapping up that Russell Crowe film's PR and considering it as a serious factor here.

I'm sorry, but potentially risk your life? I wholeheartedly understand the overall health concerns, but with the probably extreme safety measures theaters will be taking, I just can't see that being the case.
Last edited by StarWarsIsAwesome123 on May 14th, 2020, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antovolk wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm
At the very least by fall/winter 1. people would be more accustomed to the new normal, including cinemas restrictions if they reopen as planned 2. there should hopefully be somewhat accessible treatment and/or at the very least widespread testing and contact tracing. We'll be better prepared to tackle the 2nd wave if it comes, vs back in February...

@marshallmurphy - you're discounting the cultural event/FOMO and yes, spoiler factor in all this. The choice will be - potentially risk your life, OR wait until Christmas for the Blu-ray. Imagine if Endgame was in this position. Is that really a choice?

also I remain :lol: at that Vanity Fair article and others seriously lapping up that Russell Crowe film's PR and considering it as a serious factor here.
If the movie moves to August or October, I don't see how things will be any different, particularly if it moves to August which seems to be what everyone is suggesting. People will still feel like they are "missing out".

I don't understand your point with Endgame.