Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 11:02 pm
Mulholland-Jr wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
I think it'll go down as a cult classic. A flawed but pretty cool film ala Blade Runner, Primer, Predators, etc.
Probably all films have flaws. Some people right now haven’t even understood it quite well, so they could be seeing more things as flaws that maybe aren’t. We'll see how it holds up in the future but either way, the film has gotten more positive reviews than not despite the other noticeable mixed reviews.

When you say predators you mean the one with Adrien Brody? If it is then I’m not sure it holds up when compared to those other movies.

Not the nitpicky stuff, but if your film doesnt quite connect with audience, I would call it flawed. Kind of like Blade Runner where it might be too post-modern and pastiche for audiences to "get".

Predators isn't the best example. But I've noticed a lot of revisionist history with it recently, when I know for a fact everyone hated it when it was released. I think this will have the same effect.
Last edited by Mulholland-Jr on September 27th, 2020, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blade Runner comparison is a bit too much. Tenet has already made more than BR2049 during a worldwide PANDEMIC. Considering that and if BR2049 hadn't bombed so hard, I'd have said it's spectacular how well Tenet is doing :P Unfortunately that was a very low bar to cross and with its budget it will need much much more.

natalie wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:39 am
If the number one movie in the country is making $3.4m with the number expected to be lower next week, I don't see theaters staying open for long. They're working on a net loss right now.

Mulholland-Jr wrote:
I think it'll go down as a cult classic. A flawed but pretty cool film ala Blade Runner, Primer, Predators, etc.
cult classics don't make $280m at the box office though pandemic or not.

Artemis wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 4:31 pm
Mulholland-Jr wrote:
Not in terms of money. But in terms of reception. I seriously dont know ANYONE who knows this movie exists. Maybe it'll have the Edge of Tomorrow effect. In any case I seriously hope puts some more money in marketing once/if major cities ever open back up.
Last edited by Mulholland-Jr on September 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulholland-Jr wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:53 pm
Artemis wrote:
Mulholland-Jr wrote:
Not in terms of money. But in terms of reception. I seriously dont know ANYONE who knows this movie exists. Maybe it'll have the Edge of Tomorrow effect.
So much so that they'll have to change the title name? Heh.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to think of another title name we could give this thing, even if like a parenthetical one or a subtitle. Maybe we could just truncate the Secrets of Tenet book title and call it Quantum War, heh.

Los Angeles County theaters can reopen October 9th

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm
Mulholland-Jr wrote:
Artemis wrote:

Not in terms of money. But in terms of reception. I seriously dont know ANYONE who knows this movie exists. Maybe it'll have the Edge of Tomorrow effect.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to think of another title name we could give this thing, even if like a parenthetical one or a subtitle. Maybe we could just truncate the Secrets of Tenet book title and call it Quantum War, heh.
Wasn't there another name for Tenet originally? Merry Go Round?

speedy117 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:19 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm
Mulholland-Jr wrote:

Wasn't there another name for Tenet originally? Merry Go Round?
:lol: If so that was probably just Nolan's placeholder project title while in production to protect its identity. He's done it with all of his other films, but he ran out of family member names to use in them, heh.