Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Robin wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 11:47 am
natalie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 10:38 am
Is Tenet the scapegoat of 2020?
Sorry, I'm really sick about american's journalisim.
I think people are sick of it (and Nolan), especially after the quadrillion articles written about the film. Human nature to want the to see the "big guy(s)" fail.

I saw a lot of the same with Tarantino last year. Just consider how much vitriol and shit you see written about popular athletes and artists (hello Coldplay and U2) and it makes sense that more people want to see Nolan take a stumble here. I am 100% guilty of doing that with super-talented artists I don't particularly like (Kanye West). We all do it! Remember "chair-gate" a few months ago? Nolan is a star and that is a consequence of fame in 2020.

It's just not cool to love something (or someone) populist. What you like and dislike is personal branding. With SoMe that aspect has become extremely evident in film criticism.

But history is no different, really. Chaplin was basically thrown out of America, David Lean was mocked so bad by US critics that he flat out stopped making films for years, Hitchcock never got serious artistic cred before age 60, and only after the la nouvelle vague put him on a pedestal. Ridley Scott (82) has still never got a big career achievement award in the US... think about that. That is the price you pay for being popular/mainstream.

History tends to be very kind to these filmmakers though, but as Orson Wells said, "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead".
:clap:

Yeah, I think that been lockdown since March didn't help for me.
Thank God I'm making a Nolan's podcast just for the sake of catharsis :(

Robin wrote:
natalie wrote:
I think people are sick of it (and Nolan), especially after the quadrillion articles written about the film. Human nature to want the to see the "big guy(s)" fail.

I saw a lot of the same with Tarantino last year. Just consider how much vitriol and shit you see written about popular athletes and artists (hello Coldplay and U2) and it makes sense that more people want to see Nolan take a stumble here. I am 100% guilty of doing that with super-talented artists I don't particularly like (Kanye West). We all do it! Remember "chair-gate" a few months ago? Nolan is a star and that is a consequence of fame in 2020.

It's just not cool to love something (or someone) populist. What you like and dislike is personal branding. With SoMe that aspect has become extremely evident in film criticism.

But history is no different, really. Chaplin was basically thrown out of America, David Lean was mocked so bad by US critics that he flat out stopped making films for years, Hitchcock never got serious artistic cred before age 60, and only after the la nouvelle vague put him on a pedestal. Ridley Scott (82) has still never got a big career achievement award in the US... think about that. That is the price you pay for being popular/mainstream.

History tends to be very kind to these filmmakers though, but as Orson Wells said, "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead".
Ridley Scott has had a film win the best picture award. So he was had a big career achievement.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Robin wrote:
natalie wrote:

Ridley Scott has had a film win the best picture award. So he was had a big career achievement.
Only nominations.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Robin wrote:
natalie wrote:

A competitive Oscar is not a career achievement award. Ridley Scott is soon 83 and should have gotten the Honorary Oscar long before the likes of fucking Donald Sutherland and Lina Wertmüller, but hey. When he goes people will cry of this unjust, like they did with his brother, Tony, who got shit on by critics again and again, but when he died he became a GOD for cinefiles.

Anyways, back to disscussing Tenet's box office..

Tangerine wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 1:09 am
A Borges man wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 5:14 pm

So we've entered the new phase of discource...Filmtwitter is gonna keep this cycle going.
A bit hyperbolic. This dude really seems to have an axe to grind with Chris.
yes he does :wtf:

Goldberg is a dick, but the uncomfortable reality is that Tenet is probably harming theaters more than it's helping. Theaters are likely barely making back operating costs right now, if that. And with essentially zero blockbusters until Bond, the longer Tenet is playing, the further into the red theater operating expenses will become.

And smart analysts like Scott came to the same conclusion:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 2902e7cd4

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 11:26 pm
Goldberg is a dick, but the uncomfortable reality is that Tenet is probably harming theaters more than it's helping. Theaters are likely barely making back operating costs right now, if that. And with essentially zero blockbusters until Bond, the longer Tenet is playing, the further into the red theater operating expenses will become.

-Vader
I didn't know Murica' was the only country on earth, but good to know that Tenet bailing out theaters all over Europe counts for absolutely nothing in these "analysis", or more correctly guessworks. These operating figures came from Tom Brueggemann of Indiewire, who recently claimed Tenet had to make 800mn to be profitable..

I understand why WB and other studios won't share BO-numbers.

Robin wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:42 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I didn't know Murica' was the only country on earth, but good to know that Tenet bailing out theaters all over Europe counts for absolutely nothing in these "analysis", or more correctly guessworks. These operating figures came from Tom Brueggemann of Indiewire, who recently claimed Tenet had to make 800mn to be profitable..

So many negative people.
I am glad they tried and released it and didnt chicken out.
I guess if this movie was made for 50 or 100 million like Dunkirk then it would have been a success and everyone would be saying the opposite .
The movie cinema industry will never be the same for a while .
Mulan is tanking aswell.
Blockbuster budgets will be reviewed and cut down in my opinion

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
One thing I fail to understand about this train of thought, and this is more directed at Scott’s article than you, is that everyone just seemed to forget NATO and exhibitors were practically begging WB to release TENET. They were also begging other studios to release. Do you guys remember all of those articles?

But now that they may be operating in the red, it’s Tenet’s fault for releasing?

Also, when restaurants started to reopen, where I am in Chicago, it became the norm to tip waiters 40% because they had been out of a job for so long. There was a massive campaign to support local restaurants through Grubhub.

I know there is no “Grubhub” alternative for these theaters, but now I read stuff like theaters are “forced“ to restaff and it’s harming them. So waiters and restaurant workers seem to need our money, but theater workers just turned into numbers on a stat sheet for people like Scott.

These theaters aren’t staffing with foreign laborers - they’re people who also lost their jobs, and deserve some compassion :(

Robin wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:42 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

Sorry, how is Tenet "bailing out theaters are all over Europe"? Even looking at the European countries where Tenet has produced the most (7 million in the UK, 6 million in France, about 4 million in Germany), that's not nearly enough to "bail theaters out," much less while Tenet earns less and less over time. It's also earning far less in other countries.

Theaters are extremely expensive to operate, and a single movie pulling in these numbers won't make a a meaningful dent. I'm sure it's helping some locations more than others, though. Thanks for accusations of ethnocentrism though, fun times.

atwins wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 11:12 am

One thing I fail to understand about this train of thought, and this is more directed at Scott’s article than you, is that everyone just seemed to forget NATO and exhibitors were practically begging WB to release TENET. They were also begging other studios to release. Do you guys remember all of those articles?

But now that they may be operating in the red, it’s Tenet’s fault for releasing?
Nobody's forgotten this, but NATO's plan was based off several assumptions. The first assumption was that Tenet would perform closer to Inception and Interstellar, and that it wasn't a bizarre convoluted spy movie that the GA would struggle with with poor word of mouth. The second assumption was that Tenet would reopen a huge fall slate of films. The plan was never for "Tenet to save cinemas" since one movie can't do that unless it pulls in huge blockbuster money.... which this sadly is not.

Ultimately, we'll see where Tenet finishes its run. Tenet is headed for 300 million worldwide or so (maybe more if it overperforms in LA/NY), meaning theaters worldwide will have gotten about 100 million dollars...and that's all theaters internationally would receive until Bond. It's not a good situation.

I'm friends with a few theater managers around Chicago, I should ask them how profitable Tenet has been so far along with showing "classics."

-Vader