Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Inaccessibility does not necessarily mean "complex"

Also if you paid attention, Inception was an easy film to follow. Sure it is perhaps too dense in exposition to get every single detail from a first viewing, but if you pay attention you will probably understand the plot. Interstellar and Dunkirk were far easier films than that to understand as well.

Inaccessibility to me is something like Cloud Atlas that takes massive risks in its ambition and isn't afraid to get really weird. Not sure if Tenet is going for that kind of inaccessibility, but I don't think being confusing is a real hurting point for general audiences.

General audiences, casual filmgoers (people who don't post about film on social media) don't like this movie. Whatever it opens to this weekend, it will drop hard. "Word of mouth" will not be strong. If that happens what will WB do with Wonder Woman?

Robin wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 9:09 am
Back on topic:
‘Tenet’ Makes Solid Start in China Cinemas, Scores $7.3 Million
https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/tene ... 234759639/
Variety putting a positive spin on this, those user ratings are low compared to Nolan's recent films.
Feels a bit silly to compare this opening to his other films considering they weren't opening in the middle of a global pandemic.

HorrorBiz wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:45 am
Robin wrote:
Back on topic:
Variety putting a positive spin on this, those user ratings are low compared to Nolan's recent films.
Feels a bit silly to compare this opening to his other films considering they weren't opening in the middle of a global pandemic.
Huh, the ratings I mention is like the chinese IMDB-scores, I didn't comment on the BO-numbers. In other words, the WOM is not as good as his previous films. Not bad, but not as glowing as say Interstellar or Inception.

Robin wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 11:22 am
HorrorBiz wrote:
Robin wrote:
Back on topic:
Huh, the ratings I mention is like the chinese IMDB-scores, I didn't comment on the BO-numbers. In other words, the WOM is not as good as his previous films. Not bad, but not as glowing as say Interstellar or Inception.
My mistake, thought you were talking about box office numbers.

Damn.... China numbers seem disappointing...

I really hope it has a strong hold in the markets it opened to $50m last week. Hopefully can do $30m from those same locations this weekend?

Robin wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 11:22 am
HorrorBiz wrote:
Robin wrote:
Back on topic:
Maybe because the "Nolanites" have grown up and doesn't care anymore about pushing Nolan Films to the top of IMDB 250 List :lol: Nowadays marvel fanboys fill that gap

Coop Cooper wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Damn.... China numbers seem disappointing...

I really hope it has a strong hold in the markets it opened to $50m last week. Hopefully can do $30m from those same locations this weekend?
The 800 a Chinese film is really breaking out. It will be highest grossing film world wide this year soon.

‘Tenet’ Leads Friday Box Office In China With $9M+, Pacing With ‘Dunkirk’
Christopher Nolan’s Tenet launched in the Middle Kingdom on Friday grossing RMB 62.3 million, which included previews, translating into a $9.2 million take. Pic’s day, at $8.6M, bested local epic The Eight Hundred which is estimated to have grossed $8.2M for a running total of $323.9M.

It’s not certain yet if Tenet will best Eight Hundred for the top spot at China’s weekend box office. Nolan’s time-travel thriller noir is eyeing between $30M-$40M, which at the low end would still beat the filmmaker’s previous feature Dunkirk in China, which opened to $29.6M in September 2017 and finaled at $51M, repping 15% of that WWII movie’s $337.2M overseas total. Sources inform us that the estimated overseas box office for Tenet, sans China, is at $70M through yesterday.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-inte ... 234571094/