Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I feel like I bunch of you guys are just a bunch of whiners who will complain about anything. I really enjoyed the film, and I come on this thread and see a bunch of people complaining about the dumbest shit. I'm not saying the film is perfect, but I'm also not pointing out every negative thing about it ffs.

speedy117 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:14 pm
I feel like I bunch of you guys are just a bunch of whiners who will complain about anything. I really enjoyed the film, and I come on this thread and see a bunch of people complaining about the dumbest shit. I'm not saying the film is perfect, but I'm also not pointing out every negative thing about it ffs.
I don't think people are doing it in this thread simply to do it. People are trying to make sense with why this movie won't gain the right traction that was anticipated despite any COVID-related factors. It does have a lower Cinemascore, Tomatometer rating, etc. than his previous works.

I don't know where this movie sits with me yet compared to Nolan films, personally. As I said again, it may be a 10 but it could also be a 6. Needs repeat viewings, and it will get it as soon as I can (I live in California and had to see it in Nevada).

It's not hard to see why it isn't doing gangbusters at the box office. An original movie released during a pandemic with a plot structure that is near impossible to fully grasp on first viewing, and your average moviegoer doesn't want or care to try to solve the puzzle, which will inevitably hurt word of mouth by simply calling it confusing. I'm not completely trying to defend the movie, it is confusing - and hardly for the mainstream no matter how much action is there.

Also, beyond reduced capacity, has anyone taken into consideration the effect of reduced ticket prices that many theaters have in place? Obviously that isn't helping.

natalie wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 1:23 pm
TENET
$78.3M Global Weekend (incl. previews)
$126.0M International Total
$20.2M Domestic Total
$146.2M Global Total
:gonf:

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:34 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:14 pm
I don't think people are doing it in this thread simply to do it. People are trying to make sense with why this movie won't gain the right traction that was anticipated despite any COVID-related factors. It does have a lower Cinemascore, Tomatometer rating, etc. than his previous works.

I don't know where this movie sits with me yet compared to Nolan films, personally. As I said again, it may be a 10 but it could also be a 6. Needs repeat viewings, and it will get it as soon as I can (I live in California and had to see it in Nevada).
Fair enough. There definitely are a few on here though that are complaining too much.

The people here seem to forget, that...
1. Most theaters in NY and California are still closed. Both states are normally very important for the US box office. And soon Tenet will be released there (well at the latest, when democrats finally stop misusing the pandemic as a election campaign against Trump).
2. Corona restrictions in movie theaters. Max 50% seats are allowed to fill per screen
3. Tenet has besides WW84 nearly no competitors until november (Black Widow, James Bond). Like WB said. It will be a marathon! Tenet will stay much longer in movie theaters than usual. I can totally see a final gross around 150 million.

China is indeed a disappointment. Maybe Nolan should have casted a chinese lead and have hailed the communist party :lol:

As of today I'm predicting a worldwide box office gross around 400-500 million. Slightly less than Dunkirk. But Nolan & WB knew what they were doing.

The movie was made for Nolan fans but not the casual fan like Batman and Interstellar were.
And let's be honest the inaudible dialogue and messy plot is pushing people away.
Why nolan didnt fix the audio is a little arrogant from the great man.
The boat scene was so cringeworthy with the muffed dialogue that couldnt be heard.
I liked the movie but I dont think it will be a crowd pleaser.
Also if this movie and made for a tight 90 to 100 million budget it would have made a profit .
Beautiful looking movie though

Chinese audiences are easy to be impacted by the reviews they saw, I don't think it's a film for them who head for theatres to be entertained. Though numbers in China may lead to some disappointment, I'd watch it for more times.

JDW has no name because he lives in a espionage world so he has a hidden identity. We are not sure if Neil is the real name for Pattinson character. So i dont know why people are complaining about the lack of character developments.

The problem with the $20.2M domestic figute is that it includes all Canadian grosses from 12 days. The US alone has $14M and that includes all the previews throughout the week.