Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Well at least the movie will make back its budget and (hopefully) most of the marketing budget so even if it doesn't make a profit, at least WB may break even. Hey, they gave it an honest shot and if people don't start getting sick in the next week or two (with the source being theaters), then Tenet will be in the history books for trying to keep theaters afloat for the rest of the film industry :lol:

In smaller good news, at least we won't have to wait too long for the VOD release (though I wish I could see it in IMAX 70mm :problem: )

brickarts295 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:02 am
Well at least the movie will make back its budget and (hopefully) most of the marketing budget so even if it doesn't make a profit, at least WB may break even. Hey, they gave it an honest shot and if people don't start getting sick in the next week or two (with the source being theaters), then Tenet will be in the history books for trying to keep theaters afloat for the rest of the film industry :lol:

In smaller good news, at least we won't have to wait too long for the VOD release (though I wish I could see it in IMAX 70mm :problem: )
It will most likely not make back most of its budget. It'd need over 350 million for that and with marketing that's 500. It's impossible it will get the latter and even the former will be hard.

According to pro analysts and recent reports from trades (Variety) it needs to make close to $450 million to be profitable, WB spent less on the marketing than usual.

annnnd wonder woman is "delayed indefinitely," likely due to Tenet underperforming. fun stuff.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:16 pm
annnnd wonder woman is "delayed indefinitely," likely due to Tenet underperforming. fun stuff.

-Vader
Good for Tenet. Bad for Dune (I'm assuming WW84 take the december slot).

Maybe another good news for Tenet at the chinese box office?
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/10/china-b ... klash.html
Chinese authorities have told major media outlets not to cover Walt Disney’s release of “Mulan”, in an order issued after controversy erupted overseas over the film’s links with the Xinjiang region. Set to open in local theatres on Friday, Disney had high hopes for Mulan in China, but starving it of publicity in the country’s strictly censored media would be another blow to the $200 million production.
Disney failed so hard :lol: :twothumbsup:

Tenet isn't doing well in China either. It dropped like 76% from last Friday. Both it and Mulan aren't connecting and are getting creamed by the local film, The Eight Hundred.

I seems odd that WB is gonna release Wonder Woman and Dune back to back.

Dune will move to 2021

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Dune will move to 2021
Yeah. WB won't release 650m-700m of film product a week apart. if they do, it'll crush Dune. Maybe they don't care, which is worse.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
Dune will move to 2021
Yeah. WB won't release 650m-700m of film product a week apart. if they do, it'll crush Dune. Maybe they don't care, which is worse.

-Vader
Maybe we can bank on the warm heart of WB that no matter how much money they lose, it is okay because they are telling generational stories for the good of mankind.

Maybe I'll find a vaccine for Covid tomorrow too

Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
Dune will move to 2021

-Vader
I can’t see Dune making its budget back pre Covid. I doubt do anything post Covid.