Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
Posts: 147
Joined: December 2017
Location: Germany
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Anyone think Nolan plans on betting on himself and funds one of his own movies one day? He could become a billionaire all on his own!
Not even Spielberg (3.7 billion est. net worth) or Cameron (700 million est. net worth) made movies with their own money.

User avatar
Posts: 256
Joined: November 2019
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:29 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Anyone think Nolan plans on betting on himself and funds one of his own movies one day? He could become a billionaire all on his own!
Not even Spielberg (3.7 billion est. net worth) or Cameron (700 million est. net worth) made movies with their own money.
The only case I can think of is Mel Gibson and the passion of the christ...that is primarily why he has so much money, and probably why he is strangly untouchable. Nolan's net worth is just over 200 million...that is all his accets not his cash value...which means we could not fund somethink like TENET out of pocket.

Posts: 4036
Joined: June 2010
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Maybe a bit offtopic, but....
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/13/medi ... index.html
According to the studio, the live-action remake of the 1998 animated classic brought in an estimated $23.2 million opening in China this weekend. The film also brought in less money than Warner Bros.' "Tenet," which opened to roughly $30 million in China last weekend.
Disney :lol: :clap:
wow

User avatar
Posts: 256
Joined: November 2019


So we've entered the new phase of discource...Filmtwitter is gonna keep this cycle going.

User avatar
Posts: 313
Joined: February 2011
Location: Limbo
speedy117 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I know ticket sales go down as the weeks progress but given the current circumstance, do you think there may be a time in the near future where more people are going to see Tenet resulting in ticket sales going UP? Possibly because more theaters are opening or people are more willing to go to theaters.
Theaters are opening up in CA slowly so the DOM BO could have a slow burn but the legs will push on. NY is still MIA.

I honestly think WB will cash in on the international BO and then release the film on VOD in the states ASAP. Theaters can't be mad, they are probably going to keep the film for months. Lot of people just don't want to go theaters, so there's still an audience who wants to see the film.

Posts: 602
Joined: May 2020
brickarts295 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I know ticket sales go down as the weeks progress but given the current circumstance, do you think there may be a time in the near future where more people are going to see Tenet resulting in ticket sales going UP? Possibly because more theaters are opening or people are more willing to go to theaters.
Theaters are opening up in CA slowly so the DOM BO could have a slow burn but the legs will push on. NY is still MIA.

I honestly think WB will cash in on the international BO and then release the film on VOD in the states ASAP. Theaters can't be mad, they are probably going to keep the film for months. Lot of people just don't want to go theaters, so there's still an audience who wants to see the film.
isn't this contradictory though? lots of people in CA and NYC hasn't have a chance to watch Tenet in the theaters yet. I don't think they can release the VOD while Tenet is still playing in the theaters.

Posts: 59
Joined: December 2019
I mean I understand where these companies are coming from but its really sad how every one is backing out from theaters to let them die. Hooray...Mulan was slightly less of a disappointment

They coulda made the same $ a month from now as vod if they waited. and stuff like Candyman? But studios still want theaters around to make $bils from tentpoles

You cant have your cake and eat it too

Posts: 247
Joined: June 2010
Location: Durham, NC
A Borges man wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:45 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:29 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Anyone think Nolan plans on betting on himself and funds one of his own movies one day? He could become a billionaire all on his own!
Not even Spielberg (3.7 billion est. net worth) or Cameron (700 million est. net worth) made movies with their own money.
The only case I can think of is Mel Gibson and the passion of the christ...that is primarily why he has so much money, and probably why he is strangly untouchable. Nolan's net worth is just over 200 million...that is all his accets not his cash value...which means we could not fund somethink like TENET out of pocket.
George Lucas.

Posts: 42
Joined: September 2019
brickarts295 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I know ticket sales go down as the weeks progress but given the current circumstance, do you think there may be a time in the near future where more people are going to see Tenet resulting in ticket sales going UP? Possibly because more theaters are opening or people are more willing to go to theaters.
Theaters are opening up in CA slowly so the DOM BO could have a slow burn but the legs will push on. NY is still MIA.

I honestly think WB will cash in on the international BO and then release the film on VOD in the states ASAP. Theaters can't be mad, they are probably going to keep the film for months. Lot of people just don't want to go theaters, so there's still an audience who wants to see the film.
The moment it's available for VOD in one country, a bit-perfect pirated copy, with subtitles, will pop up and become ubiquitous on the internet within a few hours including to all the countries worldwide where people are actually going to the cinemas. Warner Bros will hold off on USA VOD until they're closer to the asymptotic maximum profit they expect from overseas, then release VOD internationally including USA to mop up the potential customers who 100% wouldn't go back to cinemas, and absorb the usual digital piracy losses from there on.

User avatar
Posts: 256
Joined: November 2019
Jumpman wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:15 pm
A Borges man wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:45 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:29 pm


Not even Spielberg (3.7 billion est. net worth) or Cameron (700 million est. net worth) made movies with their own money.
The only case I can think of is Mel Gibson and the passion of the christ...that is primarily why he has so much money, and probably why he is strangly untouchable. Nolan's net worth is just over 200 million...that is all his accets not his cash value...which means we could not fund somethink like TENET out of pocket.
George Lucas.
Forgot about George, never again.

Post Reply