Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Dune is a film that I think will rely a lot on the domestic box office because I don't see too much world wide potential here like there could be for WW84 or Tenet in comparison.

I also thought Dune was gonna underperform in a pre-covid world. Even a semi faithful adaptation is too much a niche film from the serious sci-fi genre which never really performs well except for old school Star Trek. Alien, I consider just as much to be horror than Sci-fi

The date Tenet should've been released (those who wanted them to release it as soon as possible now crying because it's doing bad, so funny to me), but they used Tenet as a trojan horse and it's now the least that they can do. Good

Dune trailer was underwhelming so it's going to be moved too

Candyman goes to 2021. So Tenet basically has theaters to itself till Oct. 23rd when Death on the Nile is scheduled to come out. Maybe that Gerald Butler film, Greenland, will do alittle something

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:16 pm
annnnd wonder woman is "delayed indefinitely," likely due to Tenet underperforming. fun stuff.

-Vader
Good for Tenet. Bad for Dune (I'm assuming WW84 take the december slot).

Maybe another good news for Tenet at the chinese box office?
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/10/china-b ... klash.html
Chinese authorities have told major media outlets not to cover Walt Disney’s release of “Mulan”, in an order issued after controversy erupted overseas over the film’s links with the Xinjiang region. Set to open in local theatres on Friday, Disney had high hopes for Mulan in China, but starving it of publicity in the country’s strictly censored media would be another blow to the $200 million production.
Disney failed so hard :lol: :twothumbsup:
brutal

Sorry guys, I jinxed it :cry:
Warner Bros. won't share Tenet box office data, angering rival studios
Industry observers presumed that Warner Bros. wanted initial box office receipts for “Tenet” to look as robust as possible — and waiting until Sunday for the full weekend figure would make earnings sound stronger than they might if the studio had dribbled out daily numbers.
The studio, however, was concerned that reporters and rivals would misinterpret or unfairly analyze the results — leading to headlines that may incorrectly label “Tenet’s’ debut as a flop. Warner Bros. urged journalists to provide context by noting that ticket sales would automatically be lower than normal given the fact that theaters in major markets like New York and Los Angeles aren’t open and cinemas that have reopened have done so at reduced capacity. With those caveats in mind, Warner Bros. was never banking on a splashy opening weekend and instead hoped “Tenet” would play in theaters for months without much in the way of competition

brickarts295 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 2:54 pm
Sorry guys, I jinxed it :cry:
Warner Bros. won't share Tenet box office data, angering rival studios
Industry observers presumed that Warner Bros. wanted initial box office receipts for “Tenet” to look as robust as possible — and waiting until Sunday for the full weekend figure would make earnings sound stronger than they might if the studio had dribbled out daily numbers.
The studio, however, was concerned that reporters and rivals would misinterpret or unfairly analyze the results — leading to headlines that may incorrectly label “Tenet’s’ debut as a flop. Warner Bros. urged journalists to provide context by noting that ticket sales would automatically be lower than normal given the fact that theaters in major markets like New York and Los Angeles aren’t open and cinemas that have reopened have done so at reduced capacity. With those caveats in mind, Warner Bros. was never banking on a splashy opening weekend and instead hoped “Tenet” would play in theaters for months without much in the way of competition
I would do the same thing