Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Looks like WB has eased up on their drive-in policy. Playing in LA from today:

The Special One wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:07 am
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/wonder ... ed-report/

Good news for Tenet?
WB is thinking about delaying WW84 again. Maybe november or december (and pushing Dune to 2021). So that Tenet can gross enough money until the release of Black Widow in november. (Although there are rumours that Disney is also thinking about delaying Black Widow).

My prediction is still that Tenet will be the only tentpole movie in theaters for a long time. That means many people will watch it due to lack of competition. 150 million domestic gross is possible.
Excellent news
No this is bad news. I think some of you think Tenet is gonna have these great legs and with NY or LA opening whenever, it will eventually make a decent amount of money. After this weekend Tenet will basically be done in the markets it has already opened. It might get a slight bounce from NY/LA, but by that time if many theaters are already closed in other locations due to lack of new product, then theaters in NY and LA may just stay closed and wait like everyone else.

I'm not optimistic, but we'll have to see how Tenet holds its second weekend before calling it D.O.A.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm
I'm not optimistic, but we'll have to see how Tenet holds its second weekend before calling it D.O.A.

-Vader
Gotta wait a bit longer than that, I think (?). Difficult to assess US grosses without CA/NY, but hoping the reported numbers aren't terrible on Monday. We should also remember that this can make $ for months when/if places open little by little. Also curious to see how it plays in Japan, India, Brazil, Mexico etc

Not looking good, but there is still hope. Have to cross $200 million this weekend.

idk given the circumstances i think if this crosses 500 it’s gonna be pretty much deemed a success story

the circumstances dictate that Nolan will probably be back to blockbuster filmmaking for at least one more - albeit, perhaps of Dunkirk or Interstellar size

Robin wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:25 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Gotta wait a bit longer than that, I think (?). Difficult to assess US grosses without CA/NY, but hoping the reported numbers aren't terrible on Monday. We should also remember that this can make $ for months when/if places open little by little. Also curious to see how it plays in Japan, India, Brazil, Mexico etc

Not looking good, but there is still hope. Have to cross $200 million this weekend.
Finally opening in Mexico on Wednesday, finally got my ticket but presales sadly look bad, I’m still the only who has bought on my showing

I'm wonder what Tenet would of made in normal conditions. It would of opened well, but I don't think it would have had the regular Nolan legs at the box office, especially with films like Jungle Cruise and Morbius right after. It is a very polarizing movie and doesn't seem to be working with regular moviegoers who are just looking for something to do.

I'd say domestically it would of made around 135-145 million and worldwide around 425-450

In that weird way, the pandemic kinda helps Nolan, in that, he will get a pass for what was always gonna be an underperforming film, in regards, to budget.

luxneji wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Robin wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

Finally opening in Mexico on Wednesday, finally got my ticket but presales sadly look bad, I’m still the only who has bought on my showing
Does Mexico have IMAX?

The Special One wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:39 pm
luxneji wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Robin wrote:

Does Mexico have IMAX?
Yeah some screens no in my city though (wish I could go to one) but, yeah the IMAX is not sold out but almost with about 30% capacity, for example Dunkirk I was full on the first showing on IMAX.