Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Yup, because of limitations of how high resolution you can get VFX. I believe for this and Dunkirk VFX shots were done at 6k. For most films they're done at 2K.

For Tenet to have been done with CGI with a similar quality of visual effects but with CGI, it would have cost another 50-100m dollars. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 10:54 am
For Tenet to have been done with CGI with a similar quality of visual effects but with CGI, it would have cost another 50-100m dollars. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

-Vader
It's not crazy. It's the reality. CGI & Green Screen make movies much more expensive. Just compare the total budgets of Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (281 million) and Hobbit Trilogy (745 million). And we all know what a CGI filled mess the Hobbit trilogy was.

Anyway some good news from Germany. Tenet had a minimal drop in its second week.
1st Week: 380.000 visitors
2nd Week: 360.000 visitors
Total visitors as of Monday: 740.000 (for comparison, Dunkirk had 750.000 visitors in it's whole corona restriction free run. Interstellar had 1.7 million visitors. Also not that much out of reach)
Total Gross: 8.6 Million $

Interesting that WB appears to not be releasing daily breakdowns of Tenet...

Just a theory...Every time I check the imax showtimes, they’re always pretty booked, so I’m wondering do you think the general public has caught onto this medium as the superior way to watch Nolan’s films? and since there are a limited number of imax screens, do you think people a more inclined to wait to see it in this format? Especially since the studio has made it known they’re playing the long game with this release?

Oku wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 9:05 am
He has a lot of quirks like that (another one being: shooting on IMAX film) that balloon the costs of his films, in ways where the $$$ don't really show up on the screen in 'obvious' ways.
shooting IMAX is gonna have pretty much no effect on the budget of a blockbuster like this - film costs aren’t much different than renting everything you need to deal with the terabytes of data you get shooting digital large format

as far as lelek’s comment: i’m not really sure what you’re trying to do comparing this to the truck chase in TDK - that movie was more expensive than this one, so even if it looks visually better (which, overall i’m not sure i agree with; nolan’s action filmmaking has progressed decades since then), it also got paid for

also to be clear i think every cent they spent on this shows up on screen lol

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/wonder ... ed-report/

Good news for Tenet?
WB is thinking about delaying WW84 again. Maybe november or december (and pushing Dune to 2021). So that Tenet can gross enough money until the release of Black Widow in november. (Although there are rumours that Disney is also thinking about delaying Black Widow).

My prediction is still that Tenet will be the only tentpole movie in theaters for a long time. That means many people will watch it due to lack of competition. 150 million domestic gross is possible.

Good news? Nope. If it continues to be the only film in town a lot of theaters will just close business for the time being or maybe open up only on weekends. Its poor box office performance is why we are even talking about postponing all other movies now. Maybe even until a vaccine.

TENET OR DIE is a great new tagline to promote

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:07 am
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/wonder ... ed-report/

Good news for Tenet?
WB is thinking about delaying WW84 again. Maybe november or december (and pushing Dune to 2021). So that Tenet can gross enough money until the release of Black Widow in november. (Although there are rumours that Disney is also thinking about delaying Black Widow).

My prediction is still that Tenet will be the only tentpole movie in theaters for a long time. That means many people will watch it due to lack of competition. 150 million domestic gross is possible.
Excellent news