Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Makes me wonder when IMAX screenings will begin. If ticket prices are raised, I wouldn't mind going to an almost empty screening in that large auditorium at like midnight or early morning :lol:

brickarts295 wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Makes me wonder when IMAX screenings will begin. If ticket prices are raised, I wouldn't mind going to an almost empty screening in that large auditorium at like midnight or early morning :lol:
Just came back from an IMAX screening of Peninsula in Ontario, Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsula_(film)

The largest cinema chain in Canada, Cineplex, have raised their prices by several $$ compared to pre-COVID. Unlike most films playing in cinemas in North America, this was a new release. Be prepared for higher prices for Tenet compared to what you paid for, let's say Star Wars back in December. People are still nervous (and inconvenienced?) about taking off their masks to eat. It's difficult for me to judge because this was my first time back at the cinema since March, but fewer people seemed to be buying popcorn and drinks. That's where the big money is; the markup is huge on concessions.

Each province has their own new rules regulating physical distancing in cinemas; strangely Ontario has decided to go with a flat cap of 50 people per cinema instead of a % of capacity like some other provinces have. Since the IMAX cinemas are the biggest and have the most seats, in theory, I guess it's the safest one to be in since distancing is at its best! :)

The rerelease of Christopher Nolan's Interstellar in China continues to perform well despite the difficult operating environment. Debuting last Sunday with $2.8 million, Interstellar made $4.2 million in its second weekend to take second place, its gross once again boosted by its presence in higher priced IMAX theaters. Including its original run, the 2014 sci-fi epic, which stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain, has now made $119.5 million in China.

Interstellar's strong performance and Nolan's name recognition in China bodes well for the Middle Kingdom release of his high concept sci-fi movie Tenet, which has cleared the country's censors and is set to be released on Sept. 4.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... rs-1306615

France getting 'previews' from Monday Aug 24, and a couple of US drive-ins have posted 'sneaks' from Monday August 31.

antovolk wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:55 am
France getting 'previews' from Monday Aug 24, and a couple of US drive-ins have posted 'sneaks' from Monday August 31.
What do you mean by previews? Do you mean press screenings? Are we not getting press screenings next week?

hamid1993ss wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:10 am
antovolk wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:55 am
What do you mean by previews? Do you mean press screenings? Are we not getting press screenings next week?
Public screenings (only 7pm on those days) ahead of opening on the Wednesday. Press screenings I'd imagine next week for sure.

Remember how early on there were talks about Tenet being played on several screens within one theater complex, do you guys think they will go forward with that?

Obviously in bigger complexes they will play the movie in various formats: Standard 2D, 4K, IMAX, Dolby Vision (no Atmos), 4Dx and in certain cities you have the film formats 35mm and 70mm.

But in a complex with only 2D screens - will it get more than one screen? Curious to see how this will pan out.

Tarssauce wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:21 am
Remember how early on there were talks about Tenet being played on several screens within one theater complex, do you guys think they will go forward with that?

Obviously in bigger complexes they will play the movie in various formats: Standard 2D, 4K, IMAX, Dolby Vision (no Atmos), 4Dx and in certain cities you have the film formats 35mm and 70mm.

But in a complex with only 2D screens - will it get more than one screen? Curious to see how this will pan out.
Yup, will be surprised if not