Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Time wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:24 pm
Right now, I think the main concern is that with all these movies leaving 2020, what's the point of releasing Tenet to help out theaters if there isn't going to be enough product to attract audiences to the next wave of releases?

With Mulan going to Plus, it's highly unlikely Black Widow stays where it is, and Soul is in danger of going to Disney Plus. That leaves Bond and the WB films. Universal has shown its willingness to either delay/avoid theaters and at that point, is WB willing to risk going all on its own?
I'm going to bring this up again even if it seems fickle. Mulan’s demographic is families with young children so with parents stuck at home with bored children would actually pay $29.99 and won’t pirate. But, Tenet’s demographic is young adults/millennials/30+ who know how to pirate and would pirate so they can avoid fomo if it releases internationally.

Also, it is kind of a d*ck move for Disney to release Mulan so close to Tenet's supposed US release. In a way their move just secured better headlines for themselves but effectively they turned their back against theatres since theatres desperately needed Tenet and Mulan to draw in crowds and establish confidence to sustain their openings until the end of the year.

Some of the Tenet criticism is founded and warranted at this point if WB/ Nolan can't commit to a day and date theatrical/VOD release, then they might as well delay Tenet to next year or have it take Dune's December slot.

I don't have Disney +, content doesn't interest me besides Hamilton, but are many people willing to pay an additional $30 on top of their monthly subscription fee? Are people who aren't members willing to sign up for Disney + and then pay the extra fee based solely on Mulan? People with kids maybe, but maybe not even then, I never though this movie looked very kid friendly. No Mushu or catchy songs, and animated Mulan was never in the same league popularity wise as Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin etc.

It will be interesting to see how well it does, if good, then Disney surely will follow with Black Widow and Soul and then good night to movie theaters.

Either Tenet is released this year (no later than fall) or that's it for theatres. You can kiss the movie-going experience bye-bye. Theatre chains will not survive 2020 without a major release like Tenet. It makes no sense to me thinking that just because Disney moves its releases to VOD or further delays them that WB should follow suit with their movies, that's just giving up on the theatre industry and signing their death-sentence. I don't know why people here are actually proposing this.

ninenin wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:32 pm
Either Tenet is released this year (no later than fall) or that's it for theatres. You can kiss the movie-going experience bye-bye. Theatre chains will not survive 2020 without a major release like Tenet. It makes no sense to me thinking that just because Disney moves its releases to VOD or further delays them that WB should follow suit with their movies, that's just giving up on the theatre industry and signing their death-sentence. I don't know why people here are actually proposing this.
I agree with this.

radewart wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:30 pm
I don't have Disney +, content doesn't interest me besides Hamilton, but are many people willing to pay an additional $30 on top of their monthly subscription fee? Are people who aren't members willing to sign up for Disney + and then pay the extra fee based solely on Mulan? People with kids maybe, but maybe not even then, I never though this movie looked very kid friendly. No Mushu or catchy songs, and animated Mulan was never in the same league popularity wise as Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin etc.

It will be interesting to see how well it does, if good, then Disney surely will follow with Black Widow and Soul and then good night to movie theaters.
it will be interesting indeed. Some numbers: Disney+ has 60 million subscribers. If only 15% of subscribers pay the $30, that's $270,000,000. To "break even" on the initial investment, they'd need to have almost a quarter of all subscribers do this. So you would need to hit around a quarter to 30%+ to start really generating a profit.

However, remember this is also massive marketing for Disney+, and simply adding Mulan––even as a costly rental––will expand the subscriber base while helping retaining current subscribers. So the "break even" and "turn a profit" points are actually a little lower than those fairly conservative percentages.

-Vader

People were demanding that studios release their movies on VOD, not caring wether it would generate the desired revenues for the studios. Now, that Disney did exactly that with a price they think will help generate profit, an addition to revenues from theaters overseas, people complain the price is too high.

I guess, they should’ve gone with another channel and just put Mulan on D+ months later.

I don’t know how this will affect Tenet. Mulan will come out a week after Tenet internationally. I’m not optimistic about Tenet sticking to its US date. To be honest this isn’t bad. Maybe for US theaters. But PVOD in the US and theatrical in the rest of the world is what a lot of people were wishing would happen.

I live in NYC, and it would be pretty brutal to lose all of our theaters. Combating the pandemic is the priority. But this will only add to the desolation of the cultural life of this place. I have optimism medium term though. There will be a demand for it again; whether it can be met and how is another concern.

Pandemic has worked as a catalyst. It has warped the timeline of what was eventually going to happen down the road.

blackColumn wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 12:52 am
Pandemic has worked as a catalyst. It has warped the timeline of what was eventually going to happen down the road.
you should stretch before reaching that far mate, people are mainly not going to the theater because they are closed, for health reasons, covid didnt suddenly make us think "uh yeah theaters are so out of fashion".

Disney pricing Mulan a solid 30 dollars for rental is an actual bold move.