Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
In a recent Comscore theatrical report, provinces in Canada are looking great in regards to reopening as the Great White North has flattened its curve. Among the top provinces open per Comscore are Quebec (81 theaters, repping 76.4% of the province’s total), Ontario (67 theaters, 36.2%), British Columbia (49 theaters, 58.3%) and Alberta (40 theaters, 52.6%). It’s no wonder Tenet will open there first before the U.S.

Compare those numbers to the U.S., where Texas led in polled reopened theaters over the weekend (76 theaters, repping 18.9% of the state’s total), Ohio (53 theaters, 28.3%), Iowa (51% theaters, 39.2%), Minnesota (49 theaters, 58.3%) and Pennsylvania (45 theaters, 21.4%).
https://deadline.com/2020/08/dave-franc ... 203001768/

More upbeat: sources say that total theater reopenings could reach 2,000 next weekend as more hardtops return online in what will be an eventual goal of 6,000 in the U.S. and Canada. There is also the possibility that we could have 2,500 theaters opened by August 14 as more cinemas get ready for Solstice Studios’ Unhinged on August 21. AMC and Regal are currently planning for a mid-August reopening where they can

Wow...Disney is releasing Mulan on Disney plus September 4th. It will also be in some theaters the same day. Gonna eat some of Tenet's box office.

I'm a little unclear if it's gonna be in theaters in the US also on Sept. 4th or just through it's streaming service.

radewart wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:33 pm
I'm a little unclear if it's gonna be in theaters in the US also on Sept. 4th or just through it's streaming service.
I think it'll only be in theaters where Disney+ isn't, which makes sense since it's all international markets that are mostly safe.

-Vader

Movie theaters need new movies so I find it great that most countries will get Mulan in theaters. But I still don’t like how Mulan is so close behind Tenet.

To be fair, they are two completely different movies attracting different demographics but still. Wish Tenet got some room to breathe.

Right now, I think the main concern is that with all these movies leaving 2020, what's the point of releasing Tenet to help out theaters if there isn't going to be enough product to attract audiences to the next wave of releases?

With Mulan going to Plus, it's highly unlikely Black Widow stays where it is, and Soul is in danger of going to Disney Plus. That leaves Bond and the WB films. Universal has shown its willingness to either delay/avoid theaters and at that point, is WB willing to risk going all on its own?

Time wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:24 pm
Right now, I think the main concern is that with all these movies leaving 2020, what's the point of releasing Tenet to help out theaters if there isn't going to be enough product to attract audiences to the next wave of releases?

With Mulan going to Plus, it's highly unlikely Black Widow stays where it is, and Soul is in danger of going to Disney Plus. That leaves Bond and the WB films. Universal has shown its willingness to either delay/avoid theaters and at that point, is WB willing to risk going all on its own?
i think this is a very good point. the fewer movies in 2020, the less 'value' there is in reoepning. that said, if you think about the math, AMC's last debt deal got them 300m in cash. If you get Tenet, Bond, WW84, Dune, that's going to generate for theaters a net similar or way bigger than their own debt deals. So until it's JUST Tenet, it still makes sense imo. We shall see.

-Vader

Ugh. Tenet is trending on TWITter for the wrong reasons yet again. With idiots saying “pUt TeNeT oN sTrEaMiNg ToO.” And “wHaT iF iT sUcKs?” Nuke it. Nuke Twitter from orbit.

Disney is going to look very closely at Tenet' numbers to decide what to do with Black Widow and Soul (so will WB for WW and Dune). Also there are still the mid-budget films (like Death on the nile or French Dispatch which could come back on the calendar if Tenet has a good box-office) that could be released during the year.
Maybe Mank will have some kind of release too in some countries, cinemas may accept to show Netflix's films if they don't have much else to show. And with Irishman/Marriage story, Netflix showed they were willing to let cinemas show their movies.

And yeah, Tarssauce, I can totally see an american family be like, "Tenet or Mulan? Well, let's choose the one we can watch from home." This will not help Tenet's box-office in the US.