Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
So mandatory face masks in the UK for cinemas. I think that's going to count me out of catching this anytime soon.

I've been wearing the mask in shops and it's fine wearing it in short bursts as and when needed. Don't think I could sit through 2.5 hours with it and enjoy a movie though.

S.Jenkis wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:39 am
So mandatory face masks in the UK for cinemas. I think that's going to count me out of catching this anytime soon.

I've been wearing the mask in shops and it's fine wearing it in short bursts as and when needed. Don't think I could sit through 2.5 hours with it and enjoy a movie though.
Seriously I cannot understand how people like you make statements like that.

So would you rather sit through a 2.5hr film and have people without masks cough and spray saliva when they eat popcorn with their mouth open? I can guarantee you, if someone without a mask coughed you wouldn’t the enjoy or concentrate on the film.

And hate to break it to you but, without a vaccine, wearing masks will become apart of daily life

intersteIIarx wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:44 am
S.Jenkis wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:39 am

Seriously I cannot understand how people like you make statements like that.

So would you rather sit through a 2.5hr film and have people without masks cough and spray saliva when they eat popcorn with their mouth open? I can guarantee you, if someone without a mask coughed you wouldn’t the enjoy or concentrate on the film.

And hate to break it to you but, without a vaccine, wearing masks will become apart of daily life
No - I'd rather not put myself in that environment full stop if the cases of the virus are still increasing and mandate wearing a mask.

And you missed the point where I say I wear masks in shops / public transport as those are environments that I depend on. Cinema is quite frankly not a priority in these times.

I think you get used to it, the more and more you use it.

I am commuting for 1 hour and 10 minutes a day (in one way) with a train, and at the beginning, wearing a mask was insufferable. I was getting extreme headaches, it felt hot all the time, sometimes it was hard for me to catch a breath (although I am in good shape, I train daily) I couldn't focus to do work stuff, it was even hard to read some random novel, etc. But I really got used to it after all these months of obligatory wear. Now I catch myself that sometimes I forget to take down the mask when I leave the train or grocery shop. I go about without even noticing, that I still have the mask on. So yeah, it is possible, just takes some time.

And I really miss theaters and concerts, it would really be nice that other people would behave accordingly. I commute every day, walk around in courts, go to the gym, do grocery shopping, yeah I am careful but I am in contact with lots of people in a day. On the other hand, though, watching a movie in a theater for some much needed entertainment, is still impossible (or considered too dangerous).

Though it is true, that I never eat during the movie, so that part doesn't bother me that much (bothers me much more when during a quiet or emotional part in the movie, you hear popcorn chewing and scratching inside popcorn buckets). :lol:

Smilion wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:47 am
I think you get used to it, the more and more you use it.

I am commuting for 1 hour and 10 minutes a day (in one way) with a train, and at the beginning, wearing a mask was insufferable. I was getting extreme headaches, it felt hot all the time, sometimes it was hard for me to catch a breath (although I am in good shape, I train daily) I couldn't focus to do work stuff, it was even hard to read some random novel, etc. But I really got used to it after all these months of obligatory wear. Now I catch myself that sometimes I forget to take down the mask when I leave the train or grocery shop. I go about without even noticing, that I still have the mask on. So yeah, it is possible, just takes some time.

And I really miss theaters and concerts, it would really be nice that other people would behave accordingly. I commute every day, walk around in courts, go to the gym, do grocery shopping, yeah I am careful but I am in contact with lots of people in a day. On the other hand, though, watching a movie in a theater for some much needed entertainment, is still impossible (or considered too dangerous).

Though it is true, that I never eat during the movie, so that part doesn't bother me that much (bothers me much more when during a quiet or emotional part in the movie, you hear popcorn chewing and scratching inside popcorn buckets). :lol:
That's great to hear that you eventually get used to it for prolonged periods! Still see too many people in shops not wearing them, even though it's the law here now.

The only worry I have about this is that so much of a cinema's profits are its concessions (though like many people, as far as the cinema experience is concerned, I'll be glad for the absence of rustling and chewing during dramatic moments). I hope they allow people to buy things on their way out instead, so they can still make enough money to survive. A cleverer approach would be to sell merchandise (individually packaged) for the movies showing such as t-shirts, posters and souvenir programmes, as a safer replacement. Go all in on the kitsch to make more money back without people being tempted to remove their masks OR cinemas not making enough to make staying open worth it. But that would probably make too much sense to come true lol

RrobynneUK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:19 am
The only worry I have about this is that so much of a cinema's profits are its concessions (though like many people, as far as the cinema experience is concerned, I'll be glad for the absence of rustling and chewing during dramatic moments). I hope they allow people to buy things on their way out instead, so they can still make enough money to survive. A cleverer approach would be to sell merchandise (individually packaged) for the movies showing such as t-shirts, posters and souvenir programmes, as a safer replacement. Go all in on the kitsch to make more money back without people being tempted to remove their masks OR cinemas not making enough to make staying open worth it. But that would probably make too much sense to come true lol
Here in Brussels, Belgium you have to order your tickets online and if you want food you have to order it during the ticket sale as well. Then you can pick it up in the cinema at a counter. Mask may be taken of while eating and drinking, although I have seen 2 movies now without wearing my mask, since 2 seats left and right of us are empty anyways. I personally feel safe going to cinemas that way but I can understand how people don't trust this. Anyways, I hope I can enjoy Tenet on the 26th of august.

MorenoVL wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:08 am
although I have seen 2 movies now without wearing my mask, since 2 seats left and right of us are empty anyways. I personally feel safe going to cinemas that way
Thats exactly the problem tho...like yeah it would make sense if it was an outside amphitheater, but taking your mask off in an enclosed space is definitely not safe for others or you

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:13 am
MorenoVL wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:08 am
although I have seen 2 movies now without wearing my mask, since 2 seats left and right of us are empty anyways. I personally feel safe going to cinemas that way
Thats exactly the problem tho...like yeah it would make sense if it was an outside amphitheater, but taking your mask off in an enclosed space is definitely not safe for others or you
But the safety distance is being respected and the air is ventilated?

Pathe chain in The Netherlands said that Tenet will release 26 August only for Unlimited card members and 27 August for all moviegoers. I have unlimited card so i can see it 26 August!