Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
geozou1 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 10:49 pm
Is this true? Now most likely Tenet will be delayed to next year....
This is if they can find a good slot available... I would not be shocked if in the end Tenet is going to be forced to be released this year (or even worse 2022) if they continue without taking a final decision, because the rest of studios will keep delaying its movies.

Dune, for example, should have been delayed already. I don't know what they are waiting for, that all other studios pick the best dates?

a sad reality. Either this will incentise WB to delay Tenet also or provide Nolan more of an impetus to push ahead with ‘saving with cinema’ and keep the Aug/Sept release

Tenet will go to October 2nd, Wonder Woman to December 18th, and Dune to December 22nd, 2021.

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pm
Tenet will go to October 2nd, Wonder Woman to December 18th, and Dune to December 22nd, 2021.
Sure, I could see that

Lincoln wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:05 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 7:11 pm
Speak for yourself.
I speak for myself and the general public, not delusional nolan fanboys

People don't give a fuck about nolan his saviour complex ego, if anything has backfired on social media. And good

Defending at this point Warner clownery and contradictions. is not something I'm going to do anymore
The general public doesn't know the name Christopher Nolan. He is not a household name, no matter how many of us want him to be. I bet many people couldn't tell you that the guy who did Interstellar also did The Dark Knight.

Anyway, if people were given enough information about the idea that Nolan is a film snob and advocate for the theatrical experience, and other studios are okay with pushing their films into next year or going to VOD with the possibility of movie theaters going under, you can bet your bottom dollar that the most important thing to moviegoers is that the industry survives this, and if Nolan is the only person who can see that for what it is, then you better make damn sure I am not the only one on the planet that cares he saves cinema.

And yes, I said "speak for yourself," because you deliberately went out of your way to type the seven letters "l-i-t-e-r-a-l," as in "statistically zero." I say "speak for yourself," because you forgot one of them. Don't you fucking dare speak for me on this matter.

I don't care who saves cinema, but I care that somebody out there does care, has a bit more of a say in it than many other individuals, and has the ability to do so. No one is going to remember who it was, so that doesn't really matter anyway. Let's just let it happen, though.

Wear your masks and stay six feet away from people, idiots. I've been doing it for 4.5 months; it's not that difficult.

radewart wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:01 pm
antovolk wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Yeah this is getting crazy.
CARL QUINTANILLA: Hey John, it’s Carl. A lot of movie lovers have spent the week talking about Tenet. And you said you can assure us that it will not migrate away from theatrical release. Does that mean that you’re seeing something more constructive in theaters than consensus?

STANKEY: No, I don’t think so. I think as I said on the call, Carl, that I don’t know that I can predict exactly when theater goers are going to return And what’s one of the problems around kind of reopening theaters if you think about it, is you can’t go and release something like Tenet and open it up geographically. When it releases in a theater, it pretty much needs to release nationwide. So, if you have a major metropolitan area, say Los Angeles, it’s totally out of check. But you have some part of the country that maybe is more in control, that doesn’t necessarily give you an option to go open it in half the country, it just doesn’t work very well that way. You know my point on Tenet is it’s a movie and an experience, it should be seen in theaters and it was engineered to be that way. And as a result of that, it needs to show up that way. And certainly, Christopher would like it to be validated. That’s how he wants that piece of work that he’s done to be seen by movie goers, and that’s why it’s going to be something that shows up in a theater.
Then again, Stankey probably would love for Nolan to back off, delay to 21 or just HBO Max it...
So, an international release followed by releasing it in safer parts of the US first before areas like LA and NY is no more?? I thought that was the plan Monday.
International end of August still appears to be the plan. This is more about the safer parts of the US thing

The key issue with the August international date is that it presumes a nationwide Tenet release by September via Stankey, and I just don't see the U.S. ready for that in 6-7 weeks. WB's implication of a staggered release date makes much more sense, but AT&T are (obviously) opposed.

who fucking knows what's going to happen when WB and AT&T are contradicting one another a day apart

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:42 am
The key issue with the August international date is that it presumes a nationwide Tenet release by September via Stankey, and I just don't see the U.S. ready for that in 6-7 weeks. WB's implication of a staggered release date makes much more sense, but AT&T are (obviously) opposed.

who fucking knows what's going to happen when WB and AT&T are contradicting one another a day apart

-Vader
Perhaps the parent company is more concerned about profit in the short term, seeking higher box office returns at a later time.

And the studio might be more concerned about saving the film industry in the long term, by considering trying to save cinemas by making content available for use whenever they open.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
exactly and this is corroborated by one of the trades I read reporting, they want a max 2 week release different between international markets and the US.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I would imagine the WB side is more open to a wider international/domestic gap, piracy be damned. Literally what exhibitors have been calling for here...