Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

Yeah this is getting crazy.
CARL QUINTANILLA: Hey John, it’s Carl. A lot of movie lovers have spent the week talking about Tenet. And you said you can assure us that it will not migrate away from theatrical release. Does that mean that you’re seeing something more constructive in theaters than consensus?

STANKEY: No, I don’t think so. I think as I said on the call, Carl, that I don’t know that I can predict exactly when theater goers are going to return And what’s one of the problems around kind of reopening theaters if you think about it, is you can’t go and release something like Tenet and open it up geographically. When it releases in a theater, it pretty much needs to release nationwide. So, if you have a major metropolitan area, say Los Angeles, it’s totally out of check. But you have some part of the country that maybe is more in control, that doesn’t necessarily give you an option to go open it in half the country, it just doesn’t work very well that way. You know my point on Tenet is it’s a movie and an experience, it should be seen in theaters and it was engineered to be that way. And as a result of that, it needs to show up that way. And certainly, Christopher would like it to be validated. That’s how he wants that piece of work that he’s done to be seen by movie goers, and that’s why it’s going to be something that shows up in a theater.
Then again, Stankey probably would love for Nolan to back off, delay to 21 or just HBO Max it...

This is off-topic, but why does everybody pronounce this movie like "Tenant"? Even when you go into closed captioning, they think they're saying that.

And before you say that YouTube doesn't recognize the word "tenet," which is a real word by the way and not a Nolan invention, it has no problem recognizing it on my video here.

I haven't been watching too many interviews and I've definitely avoided trailers, but a lot of news bits that I hear is always "Tenant." If you're an apartment landlord and you're hearing that "tenant isn't coming out until maybe next year," you're doing a welfare check man!

For those who argue that it's potentially hard to say, I don't hear people pronounce the name "Bennett" like "Benant."

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:44 pm
The Special One wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:57 pm
cooldude wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:51 pm

The Canadian border is closed to non-essential travels, as it should be, and in all likelihood won’t open till you guys can get your act together. Stay home, man.
Well there goes that idea, Europe here I come!! lol
]
Eu has banned USA citizens and lot non EU members have as well. The US passport is worthless right now. lot of world has banned the USA citizens
Crazy times we're living in

antovolk wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Yeah this is getting crazy.
CARL QUINTANILLA: Hey John, it’s Carl. A lot of movie lovers have spent the week talking about Tenet. And you said you can assure us that it will not migrate away from theatrical release. Does that mean that you’re seeing something more constructive in theaters than consensus?

STANKEY: No, I don’t think so. I think as I said on the call, Carl, that I don’t know that I can predict exactly when theater goers are going to return And what’s one of the problems around kind of reopening theaters if you think about it, is you can’t go and release something like Tenet and open it up geographically. When it releases in a theater, it pretty much needs to release nationwide. So, if you have a major metropolitan area, say Los Angeles, it’s totally out of check. But you have some part of the country that maybe is more in control, that doesn’t necessarily give you an option to go open it in half the country, it just doesn’t work very well that way. You know my point on Tenet is it’s a movie and an experience, it should be seen in theaters and it was engineered to be that way. And as a result of that, it needs to show up that way. And certainly, Christopher would like it to be validated. That’s how he wants that piece of work that he’s done to be seen by movie goers, and that’s why it’s going to be something that shows up in a theater.
Then again, Stankey probably would love for Nolan to back off, delay to 21 or just HBO Max it...
I don't actually get what he's trying to say :D It seems a bit murky, the way he tries to say something and not say anything at the same time...

Just wanna put a little sense of reality into this situation. As far as most US theaters (including CA and NY) reopening plans go, everything is going to keep getting pushed back. I'm honestly not betting on September or October either. Time flies and nothing ever changes. With that being said, my prediction is no vaccine, no movie in theaters. Who even knows when the vaccine will be introduced. If we're lucky, we'll get to see Tenet in theaters towards the end of Q2 of 2021 (i.e. a year from now).

So in my opinion, WB needs to hold off all digital marketing for the movie until they actually have a release date solidified, or own up to reality and give us a VOD, which obviously is highly unlikely to happen.

See y'all in a year at the very least...lmao

I'm getting a feeling we're seeing a big WB vs At&T conflict play out over this to be honest.

antovolk wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:38 pm
I'm getting a feeling we're seeing a big WB vs At&T conflict play out over this to be honest.
The punchline after all this drama and fuss surrounding Tenet could be the realization that it's a bad movie.

DHOPW42 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:41 pm
antovolk wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:38 pm
The punchline after all this drama and fuss surrounding Tenet could be the realization that it's a bad movie.
I keep re-reading this post and can't figure out its intent. Do you mean in an ironic twist hypothetically speaking, or do you mean this is a wary potential sign of things to come as a result of what we're seeing?

Even though Nolan is the GOAT, I had my trepidations about this project early on because I thought he whipped it up out of thin air in a few months, but after hearing this as been in mind since the early 2000's, I feel much better about it. Changing his editor and composer raised my eyebrow as well, but I feel good with the editor they have in place and before Dunkirk I never once said that a score could be a key factor in making a film anyway, so that being the exception makes me think this will pan out just fine.

I meant it as an ironic twist :D

Since Avatar 2 left December 2021, Dune may as well go there assuming Tenet or Wonder Woman need it's December 2020 date.