Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
From the Washington Post report:
The decision came about as the studio, parent AT&T and others involved with the release jostled over the best course of action. Nolan, his wife and producing partner Emma Nolan, and the WB distribution team have been pushing to release the movie now to bring entertainment to consumers and at least some revenue to the studio and theaters.

But Emmerich and executives at AT&T, looking at the numbers, have been worried that their investment, which runs to $200 million in production costs and perhaps nearly as much in marketing totals, will return a minimal figure in a corona-pocked world.
So the way that has been evolving has been interesting, at first the trades were painting it as Nolan vs WB, Nolan's PR has been trying to push that him and WB are on the same page, and now it's Nolan *and* WB vs the head honcho and AT&T.

At this point i dont fucking care because they will delay it again and again. WB will give new date for International markets soon but they will delay it again.

And i dont understand: if they wanna release it internationaly first, why they are not releasing it 12 August overseas and 26 August or later in states where it is safe.

Again. Their goal here is to minimize the gap between international markets and the US markets. If Tenet gets released mid August (12.08 to be exact) and gets released on Labor day in the US (07.09) there will be a gap of 27 days - that’s almost four weeks. They won’t put it on VOD officially and they are aftaid of spoilers and piracy.

If they release if on the 27th then they reduce the gap to 11 days. It won’t be as drastic. But that’s assuming that things will be better in September in the US and it may not be realistic. I think NATO has made very good points. Release it for the markets that are already open. But it is a huge investment and we don’t have access to the numbers and projections WB has so it’s up to them to choose the right time to release their movie.

I really wish there was a smaller movie with just as much attraction which would allow them to experiment and make enough money back, just to test things out.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 9:34 am
Again. Their goal here is to minimize the gap between international markets and the US markets. If Tenet gets released mid August (12.08 to be exact) and gets released on Labor day in the US (07.09) there will be a gap of 27 days - that’s almost four weeks. They won’t put it on VOD officially and they are aftaid of spoilers and piracy.

If they release if on the 27th then they reduce the gap to 11 days. It won’t be as drastic. But that’s assuming that things will be better in September in the US and it may not be realistic. I think NATO has made very good points. Release it for the markets that are already open. But it is a huge investment and we don’t have access to the numbers and projections WB has so it’s up to them to choose the right time to release their movie.

I really wish there was a smaller movie with just as much attraction which would allow them to experiment and make enough money back, just to test things out.
Yeah i know there will be not anough gap between international and US. But what i am trying to say is: If their plan is to release it also in US but in states where cinemas are al ready open, why not releasing it 26 August? Cinemas in some states are open and some are not open because there is not anough new content.

Do WB realy think that NY and LA cinemas will be open in Labour weekend? What if LA and NY are still closed? Will they delay it again for International markets?

They'll at this point likely just delay the US release further and not the international, and perhaps release it without NY and LA and let it expand in the US

antovolk wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 10:11 am
They'll at this point likely just delay the US release further and not the international, and perhaps release it without NY and LA and let it expand in the US
This makes a lot of sense

antovolk wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:41 am
The decision came about as the studio, parent AT&T and others involved with the release jostled over the best course of action. Nolan, his wife and producing partner Emma Nolan, and the WB distribution team have been pushing to release the movie now to bring entertainment to consumers and at least some revenue to the studio and theaters.

But Emmerich and executives at AT&T, looking at the numbers, have been worried that their investment, which runs to $200 million in production costs and perhaps nearly as much in marketing totals, will return a minimal figure in a corona-pocked world.
And here I was hoping that Nolan wasn't the bad guy of this story.

Ah, well.

Good decision by Emmerich/AT&T executives then I guess.

Insomniac wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 12:12 pm
antovolk wrote:

And here I was hoping that Nolan wasn't the bad guy of this story.

Ah, well.

Good decision by Emmerich/AT&T executives then I guess.
No.

“Because Nolan is the hero cinema deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll boicot him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a theatrical exhibition protector. Best director ever.”

antovolk wrote:

So the way that has been evolving has been interesting, at first the trades were painting it as Nolan vs WB, Nolan's PR has been trying to push that him and WB are on the same page, and now it's Nolan *and* WB vs the head honcho and AT&T.
Does Nolan still have a 20% cut?
Do you think he will give it up if it means an earlier release date? 20% is a huge percentage! If drastically changes the numbers when it comes to how many tickets must be sold to reach profitability.

If they delay US release date further, that will affect internationaly release date as well. WB doesnt want big gap between US and overseas. So if Labour weekend dont work out for US it will get delayed to end of september and overseas markets will get it in mid september.

I can bet for 100 euro's that Tenet will be delayed die 4th time! Come at me brossssss