Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
DHOPW42 wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 5:00 am
This is a few days old, but I didn't see it posted here:
this is what absolutely should happen imo. there are enough countries open or loosening things up for tenet to open today, let alone august 12th. if the entire world is forced to wait for america, then you’re not really saving the cinemas.

as for spoilers... we need to get over this shit. yes spoilers can ruin the fun, but are they so important we’d prioritize them over the survival of movie theaters? we’d really let spoiler culture kill off an industry?

i know people here act like embarrassments once marvel is mentioned, but nobody thought endgame sucked because there were spoilers everywhere. it didn’t ruin the spectacle. the last of us part 2 leaks got a key moment spoiled for a lot of people, yet that didn’t impact the experience people got out of playing it (ignoring trolls and garbage people). if you watch movies for twists and not the journey, i’m kinda worried you’re watching them in a wrong way

If Nolan should let anything go, I think it's the fear of plot points getting out. The article makes good points of how Interstellar was thought of as a spoiler-heavy story, but turned out to be highly rewatchable and standing on its own even after you knew it all the way through - and the same really goes for all Nolan films. I can imagine Tenet having a few plot twists and character turns here and there, it being a spy thriller, but the experience of being able to actually watch it on the big screen trumps the whole "spoiler leaks" argument for me.

This is just one aspect of the whole dilemma, of course, but I'm glad the article delved into it.

This idea that international movie theaters are all back to normal and ready to go seems... sketchy.

Just this week Hong Kong closed all their theaters again due to another virus wave.

Ruth wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 5:23 am
as for spoilers... we need to get over this shit. yes spoilers can ruin the fun, but are they so important we’d prioritize them over the survival of movie theaters? we’d really let spoiler culture kill off an industry?

i know people here act like embarrassments once marvel is mentioned, but nobody thought endgame sucked because there were spoilers everywhere. it didn’t ruin the spectacle. the last of us part 2 leaks got a key moment spoiled for a lot of people, yet that didn’t impact the experience people got out of playing it (ignoring trolls and garbage people). if you watch movies for twists and not the journey, i’m kinda worried you’re watching them in a wrong way
I don't think the issue is spoilers as such, it's...the entire FOMO machine - marketing/PR/critics/discourse/'spoiler breakdowns'/'ending explained'/Film Twitter - that's very much US-driven, and driving people to opening weekend. Interntational going first and US going last potentially months later (as opposed to the other way around) would actually make a an impact in forcing a rethink of this entire model.

Like, take Parasite for instance, when it came out in Australia/NZ, France, Korea of course months before the U.S. release it didn't generate all of that. The US release in October did - which made the wait for the UK drop the following Feb (mind, such a smart move box office use because it came out right before that Oscar win) a tougher one (I was lucky and caught it at a press screening November).

A lot of that anxiety would genuinely go - for myself included (the reopening train has for now well and truly left the station here, hence Robbie's piece above and earlier mentions of UK cinemas crying out for no further delays) - if the US gets the film last, months later.

@Insomniac - not all of course but Europe certainly is for better or worse.

antovolk wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:00 am
Ruth wrote:

I don't think the issue is spoilers as such, it's...the entire FOMO machine - marketing/PR/critics/discourse/'spoiler breakdowns'/'ending explained'/Film Twitter - that's very much US-driven, and driving people to opening weekend. Interntational going first and US going last potentially months later (as opposed to the other way around) would actually make a an impact in forcing a rethink of this entire model.
I get it. But honestly... what’s wrong with that? Any discourse around mainstream cinema has been insanely America-centric for as long as... i don’t know, Hollywood has been a thing (?), and the rest of the world had to adapt to that. I genuinely do not see what would be so wrong for this model to shift, even slightly, even if temporarily.

The example of Parasite only proves that neither critics, nor film twitter, nor the general discourse didn’t collapse because the US didn’t get to experience the film and dictate the discussion first.

Hear, hear. As I said, a lot of my current anxiety over what I should do wrt. seeing Tenet if it sticks to August 12 here in the UK - would go if much of that machine goes. There wouldn't be this FOMO element.

not being very serious but just thinking about how audiences outisde US have dealt with spoilers for years and we are fine. maybe it's time for the americans to get a taste of it since they been doing so bad in controling covid-19 and they are slowing down the recovery of global cinema industry...

but i get it, this is a hollywood movie with an american budget and nolan's priority has been american theaters. still... it's an option, chris

Ruth wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 5:00 am
This is a few days old, but I didn't see it posted here:
this is what absolutely should happen imo. there are enough countries open or loosening things up for tenet to open today, let alone august 12th. if the entire world is forced to wait for america, then you’re not really saving the cinemas.

I remember my VHS of Dr No had a 20 lines synopsis that ended with something like
"After having been captured by Dr No, Bond escapes, but will he have time to stop him?"
, and my DVD of Once upon a time in the west mentioned Bronson's backstory in the synopsis.
Also, everybody who watches Psycho kind of know about the
shower scene
, people who watch the Godfather know that
Al Pacino is not going to stay out of the mafia for very long
, the twist of Usual suspect is quite common knowledge, so is the one of Fight Club and the last shot of Inception.

It's nice to see a movie without knowing anything about it, but people on Film twitter will watch the film anyway, and other people would be able to avoid spoiler easily. So, sure, americans (and people from some other parts of the world) who are on Reddit/ Film twitter would be the losers in this decision, but from an economic perspective, it does definitely make sense.