Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm
I know it’ll never happen but they should just drop it on streaming at this point, I’d be fine with watching it on my iPhone lol
I wish I can watch the movie right now on my 24' monitor. But WB ain't gonna make a single cent if they release it by VOD. On the other hand, if they wait and release it later in the theaters, they can possibly break even or even make a good profit.

The wait will be worth it guys, hang in there. I trust Nolan and WB completely and will support whatever decision they make.

KEM
dragon_phoenix wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 4:54 pm
KEM wrote:
I know it’ll never happen but they should just drop it on streaming at this point, I’d be fine with watching it on my iPhone lol
I wish I can watch the movie right now on my 24' monitor. But WB ain't gonna make a single cent if they release it by VOD. On the other hand, if they wait and release it later in the theaters, they can possibly break even or even make a good profit.
Couldn’t they just release on VOD now and do a theater release later on?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what if Chris decides to retire after all of this "over"?

If cinema as we know it dies, I don't see Chris continuing to make films that most people will only watch from their couch or phones. I could see him "going down with the ship", per se.

So is this saving cinemas thing only viable for US cinemas? Cinemas in various countries are starving for new movies to show. If all releases are delayed for months, those chains will suffer.

Also, PVOD won’t be available for international audiences anyway.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:11 pm
So is this saving cinemas thing only viable for US cinemas? Cinemas in various countries are starving for new movies to show. If all releases are delayed for months, those chains will suffer.

Also, PVOD won’t be available for international audiences anyway.
exactly. just wait it out is the only option.

KEM wrote:
You just triggered 500 Nolan Fans.

ChristNolan wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what if Chris decides to retire after all of this "over"?

If cinema as we know it dies, I don't see Chris continuing to make films that most people will only watch from their couch or phones. I could see him "going down with the ship", per se.
Not all the theatre chains will die...Once the COVID is over, life will be back to normal again. I guess he is more worried about the smaller theatre chain who have no large contracts to bail them out while the rent keeps ticking.

I mean this is a good time for Nolan to continue writing more epic screenplays. His mind is incredibly creative and this lull period where he doesn't have press conferences or filming to do can be incredibly productive for him.

KEM wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:01 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 4:54 pm
KEM wrote:
Couldn’t they just release on VOD now and do a theater release later on?
They can. But they won't make any money because of piracy. Or at least not enough to make a profit.

Also, Nolan is not going to give up so easily just because times are looking bleak now. He is a 100% advocate of the cinema experience.

For example, things are going pretty well in the smaller EU countries. The USA govt. need to get their shit together.

But I feel you man. Everytime i see a TV spot or a new interview, I am like 'I WANNA WATCH TENET NOW!'

They’re not gonna make a profit no matter what they do. That’s out the window.