Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
hamid1993ss wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 10:26 am
collin49 wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 10:00 am
https://deadline.com/2020/07/tenet-rele ... 202983984/
Tenet , the movie expected to kick off Hollywood’s long-deferred summer, has a “low likelihood” of being released in August, according to a veteran exhibition analyst.

Additional delays of the movie re-start will put further strain on theater circuits’ balance sheets and put 2020 box office on a path toward 70% decline from 2019 levels, Eric Handler of MKM Partners predicts.
Yeah my Theater chain Pathe was right about the information that Tenet will be pushed back again. But i think it is unfair for International Markets. You put the date August 12 on promos for what? For giving movie theater owners false hope? You are delaying it because two cities in US are not open? Do you think that US will be ready this year? Forget about it. US will be not ready this year at all. If WB are so stupid about it to release Tenet worldwide when NY and LA are open, they must wait till 2021 at the earliest and when we get there most of the cinemas will be out of business. Well, where are you gonna release Tenet? My advice for WB: Release Tenet in world open cinemas where COVID-19 is under control and get over it and release it in countries when they are ready. This strategy will make more sense when your plan is to play the film longer in movie theaters far beyound the norm.
This is the logical approach but unfortunately Americans are too proud to do this

hamid1993ss wrote:
collin49 wrote:
Tenet , the movie expected to kick off Hollywood’s long-deferred summer, has a “low likelihood” of being released in August, according to a veteran exhibition analyst.

Additional delays of the movie re-start will put further strain on theater circuits’ balance sheets and put 2020 box office on a path toward 70% decline from 2019 levels, Eric Handler of MKM Partners predicts.
Yeah my Theater chain Pathe was right about the information that Tenet will be pushed back again. But i think it is unfair for International Markets. You put the date August 12 on promos for what? For giving movie theater owners false hope? You are delaying it because two cities in US are not open? Do you think that US will be ready this year? Forget about it. US will be not ready this year at all. If WB are so stupid about it to release Tenet worldwide when NY and LA are open, they must wait till 2021 at the earliest and when we get there most of the cinemas will be out of business. Well, where are you gonna release Tenet? My advice for WB: Release Tenet in world open cinemas where COVID-19 is under control and get over it and release it in countries when they are ready. This strategy will make more sense when your plan is to play the film longer in movie theaters far beyound the norm.
+1

Their strategy makes no sense. Delay it to 2021 once and for all or allow some countries to release it earlier than others.

hamid1993ss wrote:
collin49 wrote:

Absolutely. Waiting for the USA to be ready to re-open before anyone else can do anything just because the former think themselves to be special somehow is suicidal for the rest of the world's industry. The situation in some countries e.g. US, UK, Brazil is unspeakable, but other governments who have responded appropriately to the crisis deserve not to be held back by the actions of a few. For America, this autumn is right out, so is xmas, and so is next spring; if they don't mandate compulsory face masks by next spring, the whole of next year is right out too. People thinking September or October will magically be a better date than August are dreaming. If the financial support was in place to cover extended closures I'd not be too bothered, I'm not a child, I can wait longer to see a movie I want to see, but as it stands there is a significant danger of the art form dying out because of complacency and American exceptionalism.

I wouldn't blame WB for opening the movie in other parts of the world soon, but it's more than just America right now. Other theaters around the world like China and Brazil aren't ready to open either, and they are big markets, too. Also, piracy is a serious concern right now for many films even those released by VOD. I know many people who have watched the new Judd Apatow movie but none paid for it.

I must seriously disillusioned into wondering how movie theaters are any worse to be in (given the proper separated seating) than other indoor venues, especially if necessary precautionary measures are in place.

The biggest factor I'm aware of is being immobilized for a long period of time, but otherwise I'm not seeing it here, Lloyd.

"but other governments who have responded appropriately to the crisis deserve not to be held back by the actions of a few''

I registered just to reply to this. I've heard over and over again people speaking about the virus and what an "appropriate" response is, and how sure they are of knowing cause and effect with this situation. Let me tell you this, you don't know what you are talking about, nobody really knows. Appropriate response has had China who is a totalitarian regime, and if you want that, than move there and enjoy it.

About your assumption above: it is very possible the number of severe cases that are reported and of consequent deaths, describe not a measure of the spread of the virus, but of the lack of certain buffer factors that make some populations more resilient and others more vulnerable. Correlation is not causation. For example countries that have had an old tuberculosis vaccine mandatory done, like former communist block, parts of Asia and Europe and most of Africa, seem to have less severity in the reaction of the body to the virus. And that is just one hidden factor. There are many more, just read some recent research. You must know there is no disease here, only reaction of the body to an intruder, (something that's not even alive by the way). And yet we are all experts, we judge and know everything. There are no appropriate actions to be have more that what it was done. No point in judging US reaction, a country founded on the values of freedom is no China. Eventually everyone will be exposed to the virus and it's a matter of mostly hidden factors of how populations and individuals react. I will stop here, but please, don't use corona to justify hate speech and know all attitude, cause you are frustrated about a movie not going into theaters.

I think people are concerned about the possibility of airborne transmission which is possible but in very specific conditions. Headlines don’t mention the details. The main mode of transmission as of now is direct contact with COVID-19 positive people via droplets and contamination objects. Masks prevent droplets from spreading but what happens when people take them off to eat popcorn?

Theaters here have designed the seats in a way that when you sit, you won’t have anyone directly in front of you or behind you, and obviously no one next you on both sides. Again, we do need more research.

hamid1993ss wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 8:42 am
I have heard from my Theater chain Pathe that WB are considering to push Tenet back again till 26 August or early September.
Thanks for the inside info. This was certainly inevitable, no one is surprised by this, damn shame though.