Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 8:18 pm
:?
Yeah, how do you think I've felt reading your posts?

"When did it happen that we all became so focused on our rights and not our obligations to our fellow man and woman?" — A Texas county judge's letter prompted by the toxic response he's received over a mandatory mask order.

ninenin wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:37 pm
It's time people get off their high-horses, pretending to care about public health to score online virtue points. With all precautions in place you're still magnitudes more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the theatre than catching COVID-19 in the theatre. WB isn't moving the release date for public health reasons, like some big corporation cares about that.. They are moving it because people are too scared to go and they don't want to lose money. I bet you if people were less hysterical (like many of the people on this forum) and more realistic, Tenet would open as planned, businesses would not be suffering as badly and our economy wouldn't be as shitty as it is now. America is effectively committing suicide out of fear.
Of course it's about the money. Who else thought otherwise?

But they're doing it in compliance with those who do have health concerns, such as New York state.

It's not because people are too scared to go, it's because some big name states/cities won't open theaters in time for a July release.

ninenin wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:12 pm
WB should just release Tenet straight to DVD/Blu-Ray and Digital. Let's face it, cinema is on its way out; the industry will not survive COVID-19. Most major theatre chains will go bankrupt before the virus (in the US) is under control enough for theatres to be able to profit. By the time a vaccine is made and people feel safe to go back to theatres it will already be too late, theatres will be like arcades in that only a few will exist and most people just won't have the interest anymore (only a small group of cinephiles).
I absolutely agree with this. With Dolby Vision and Atmos, the difference in quality between movie theatres and home theatres has shrunk incredibly. Plus I don’t have to gamble on theatre quality or pay $20+ for higher tier rooms. HDR is not just for new movies either. Proper mastering can show the tonal response of film far more accurately than SDR.

I actually developed a library to simulate a film projector. It requires a very high refresh rate and HDR, but it’s surprisingly effective.

KEM
anikom15 wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:41 pm
ninenin wrote:
WB should just release Tenet straight to DVD/Blu-Ray and Digital. Let's face it, cinema is on its way out; the industry will not survive COVID-19. Most major theatre chains will go bankrupt before the virus (in the US) is under control enough for theatres to be able to profit. By the time a vaccine is made and people feel safe to go back to theatres it will already be too late, theatres will be like arcades in that only a few will exist and most people just won't have the interest anymore (only a small group of cinephiles).
I absolutely agree with this. With Dolby Vision and Atmos, the difference in quality between movie theatres and home theatres has shrunk incredibly. Plus I don’t have to gamble on theatre quality or pay $20+ for higher tier rooms. HDR is not just for new movies either. Proper mastering can show the tonal response of film far more accurately than SDR.

I actually developed a library to simulate a film projector. It requires a very high refresh rate and HDR, but it’s surprisingly effective.
And, most importantly, you don’t have to deal with others interrupting your viewing experience, I’d love to just sit back and watch it at home with no one there to bother me.

KEM wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:50 pm
anikom15 wrote:
ninenin wrote:

And, most importantly, you don’t have to deal with others interrupting your viewing experience, I’d love to just sit back and watch it at home with no one there to bother me.
All this up there is kind of apocalyptical. I don’t think movie theaters will disappear that easily but we’ll see. I rather wait for it to come out in theaters whenever it’s safe and possible.

KEM
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 11:02 pm
KEM wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:50 pm
anikom15 wrote:

All this up there is kind of apocalyptical. I don’t think movie theaters will disappear that easily but we’ll see. I rather wait for it to come out in theaters whenever it’s safe and possible.
A theatrical viewing is certainly the best way to experience it, and I definitely want that to be the first way I see it, but I’m always more excited for a home release than anything else so if my first viewing was at home on my computer I wouldn’t really complain

DylanHoang wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 6:05 pm
enfitt wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm
marshallmurphy wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 3:20 pm

That kind of sucks. Why can’t they make the digital release the same as Blu-ray?
They did. I have TDK and Dunkirk IMAX versions in my Pc.
which platform did you acquire yours from? This is the first time I've heard of his movies including the IMAX aspect ratio on digital releases
Here see it for yourself...

This is how IMAX footage size looks like:
https://ibb.co/XsYp4Bg

And this is how normal 2,39:1 looks like:
https://ibb.co/RbC4kQR

These are screenshots taken from my IMAX Bluray

enfitt wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 3:09 am
DylanHoang wrote:
enfitt wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm

They did. I have TDK and Dunkirk IMAX versions in my Pc.
which platform did you acquire yours from? This is the first time I've heard of his movies including the IMAX aspect ratio on digital releases

The digital releases have all been a constant AR (which I prefer for home viewing IMO, though not with the quality). Ripping the Blu-ray to PC is not equivalent to the "digital version" they are talking about when purchasing it on iTunes.

And the TDK Blu-ray is absolute trash. Edge-enhancement, DNR, wrong color timing, overcontrasted... awful, awful, awful. The UHD release was a lot better, though they lifted the blacks in the IMAX shots. The TDKR UHD is the best of all TDK Trilogy disc releases.

KEM
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 3:19 am
enfitt wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 3:09 am
DylanHoang wrote:

The digital releases have all been a constant AR (which I prefer for home viewing IMO, though not with the quality). Ripping the Blu-ray to PC is not equivalent to the "digital version" they are talking about when purchasing it on iTunes.

And the TDK Blu-ray is absolute trash. Edge-enhancement, DNR, wrong color timing, overcontrasted... awful, awful, awful. The UHD release was a lot better, though they lifted the blacks in the IMAX shots. The TDKR UHD is the best of all TDK Trilogy disc releases.
Are those available digitally (and Inception)?