Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
The good news is that by August the NBA, MLB, NHL hockey and MLS soccer seasons will be underway and will provide much-needed marketing opportunities.

Oku wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:07 am
OK so after digesting it a bit, I can see what they are trying to do: they are dead-set on being first as soon as the conditions become safe, so they are being adaptive and elastic with the date.

They are doing a go/no-go every two weeks and will continue to do so into the future until they feel like things are OK, at which point they release, whether that's mid-August or end of August, or mid-September or end of September, and so on.

A giant delay to December/next year is not going to happen in one big decision but gradually, i.e. if, after delaying 5+ times every two weeks, things still haven't improved and every big movie currently set for October, November, and December get delayed into 2021 and Tenet still gets to be 'first'.
This is exactly what's happening.

Are you really still waiting for this movie? Lol.
I'm going to catch up with books which I put down because of this circus.
You too go back to your hobbies.

Robin wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:40 am
They must have spent millions of their marketing budget by now, why not go 100% in on August 14, and VOD premium in US (surley theaters or Nolan himself can't complain about that) and theaters in Europe? Either that or postpone a year or more now, America is not ready to open on August 14, that seems obvious.

Nolan and WB can't blow $50-100 million dollars in adverstings just to keep exhibitors hopeful and happy.

What do you guys think?
Nolan values not only the theatrical experience but theatrical exclusivity too much.

From an international perspective: this is getting ridiculous.

I know a movie isn’t high priority but I hope the US (and the UK) would take this opportunity to get their shit together - although I don’t think anything will change since COVID-19 became a political issue there. People divided between being too cautious and scared, pushing for further shutdowns and on the other side, people who think COVID-19 doesn’t exist and they can’t bring their fragile snowflake selves to wear a piece of cloth and keep their distance.

So, the world is just going to sit, wait and watch the clownery that happening in those two countries.

Why does the release date stays 16 July in Australia yet?
Does this mean that the 12 August delay was for US only ?

antovolk wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 5:53 am
Robin wrote:
They must have spent millions of their marketing budget by now, why not go 100% in on August 14, and VOD premium in US (surley theaters or Nolan himself can't complain about that) and theaters in Europe? Either that or postpone a year or more now, America is not ready to open on August 14, that seems obvious.

Nolan and WB can't blow $50-100 million dollars in adverstings just to keep exhibitors hopeful and happy.

What do you guys think?
Nolan values not only the theatrical experience but theatrical exclusivity too much.
Right.

I see people writing that WB will delay it every other week, but Warner Bros. is spending money to keep billboards up, promoting tv-spots etc. Makes no sense from a commercial point of view. I think a compromise is looking more and more likely, espescially if the marketing continuous in the coming weeks. I know they haven't communicated this in their press releases but something's gotta give. A dual release on VOD and theaters is unprecedented for a movie of this scale, but the world has changed and Nolan/WB have already proved that they've done what they can for cinemas.

enfitt wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:57 am
Why does the release date stays 16 July in Australia yet?
Does this mean that the 12 August delay was for US only ?
I'm from Australia, and my IMAX Melbourne has Tenet to be release August 13 ( day after US but due to timezone differences, it's basically the same day release)
Also, seemingly they confirmed new tenet footage with Inceptions re-release but idk if it's just the prologue or actual NEW footage.

Robin wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:08 am
antovolk wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 5:53 am
Robin wrote:

What do you guys think?
Right.

I see people writing that WB will delay it every other week, but Warner Bros. is spending money to keep billboards up, promoting tv-spots etc. Makes no sense from a commercial point of view. I think a compromise is looking more and more likely, espescially if the marketing continuous in the coming weeks. I know they haven't communicated this in their press releases but something's gotta give. A dual release on VOD and theaters is unprecedented for a movie of this scale, but the world has changed and Nolan/WB have already proved that they've done what they can for cinemas.
The entire thing as it is didn't make sense from a commercial POV.

Nolan and WB are doing this to keep cinemas happy and the last thing they want to do is to, as the AMC CEO put it, "change the status quo" of theatrical exclusivity. Mulan, Bond or what ever else is more likely to go for that nuclear option than this.

Their way of conceding defeat would be to just delay it into 2021 and drop the first film in cinemas initiative (an initiative which their statement kinda confirmed is the current plan)...
Last edited by antovolk on June 26th, 2020, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

antovolk wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:34 am

Nolan and WB are doing this to keep cinemas happy and the last thing they want to do is to, as the AMC CEO put it, "change the status quo" of theatrical exclusivity. Mulan, Bond or what ever else is more likely to go for that nuclear option than this.

Their way of conceding defeat would be to just delay it into 2021 and drop the first film in cinemas initiative - which their statement kinda confirmed...
To be honest the saving cinema rhetoric is done especially now that most cinemas are in fact already open or about to be in the next week AND there are numerous films set to release before Tenet.

The statement confirms this and also demonstrates that WB is very much concerned about box office and has gone with a different strategy which in my eyes consolidates the idea that day and date or PVOD is not an option. Drive-ins should be on the table though and I hope WB are considering it.

also why is Disney taking so long with Mulan information. Less than a month to go and no advertising or anything about it. To me this just screams PVOD.