Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
ninenin wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:39 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Also blame the US federal government for doing terrible job at handling Covid 19. If the government did a better job. Theaters would not be in this mess. Maybe Mulun keeps it release date.
Lemme guess, you're from New York and you're bitter that other people will get to see the movie before you.
No I live in California. If New York is closed WB won’t release. Way to much money to be lost if New York is closed

Artemis wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:59 pm
One of Houston's largest hospitals is at 100% ICU capacity.

This pandemic is no joke you guys. Stay safe and stay sensible please. Ignore the people here who are trying to gaslight you or make fun of you for being worried. The pandemic still exists and it's getting worse in the US.
It is also the largest hospital in the world

KEM
I could see it taking Dune’s spot, that would make the most sense, but moving it into next year is probably their safest bet.

I am confused, just woke up and I hear the news "3h ago-- Tenet delayed to 12 august".
Daaamn It. Is this delay only for LA and NY or for entire world ???

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:21 am
No I think if August isn't possible they'll move it to Dune's spot in December.
I was thinking that as well but what about moving it to October and bumping Wonder Woman to Dune's December slot?

KEM
The Special One wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:36 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:21 am
No I think if August isn't possible they'll move it to Dune's spot in December.
I was thinking that as well but what about moving it to October and bumping Wonder Woman to Dune's December slot?
They might want to get it far enough out to where they won’t have to worry as much about it, pushing it back a few months might not do much, so I suspect if they want make the August date they might just shelve it for long period of time

Sounding like next year is more and more likely.

Oku
OK so after digesting it a bit, I can see what they are trying to do: they are dead-set on being first as soon as the conditions become safe, so they are being adaptive and elastic with the date.

They are doing a go/no-go every two weeks and will continue to do so into the future until they feel like things are OK, at which point they release, whether that's mid-August or end of August, or mid-September or end of September, and so on.

A giant delay to December/next year is not going to happen in one big decision but gradually, i.e. if, after delaying 5+ times every two weeks, things still haven't improved and every big movie currently set for October, November, and December get delayed into 2021 and Tenet still gets to be 'first'.

Oku wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:07 am
OK so after digesting it a bit, I can see what they are trying to do: they are dead-set on being first as soon as the conditions become safe, so they are being adaptive and elastic with the date.

They are doing a go/no-go every two weeks and will continue to do so into the future until they feel like things are OK, at which point they release, whether that's mid-August or end of August, or mid-September or end of September, and so on.

A giant delay to December/next year is not going to happen in one big decision but gradually, i.e. if, after delaying 5+ times every two weeks, things still haven't improved and every big movie currently set for October, November, and December get delayed into 2021 and Tenet still gets to be 'first'.
Yeah, this makes sense.

I just don't see Tenet going to 2021. It's coming out this year, August 12 seems like a solid date as even film production etc are ramping up to start very soon. Unless the 2nd wave hits August 12 seems likely considering their announced release strategy.

They're in it for the long haul, they're not expecting huge numbers to turn up, they think people will be scared and overly cautious. And by playing TENET for months they hope people when they feel safe and during off-peak times will go see it for the cinema experience rather than watching something on PVOD.

Personally I would hope it will be delayed until October but I think WB is gonna try to stick to August 12