Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Trust me, a film like Tenet will definitely be a box office hit in China. I don’t how many times have I said it, Chinese moviegoers really love Nolan and once there’s good word of mouth, bang.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 2:15 am
Trust me, a film like Tenet will definitely be a box office hit in China. I don’t how many times have I said it, Chinese moviegoers really love Nolan and once there’s good word of mouth, bang.
yeah agreed. I have family in Shanghai and they say the same thing. Especially on social media once word mouth hits it spreads like wildfire. And they're definitely the type of consumers that once people are talking positively about something, there's intense FOMO and they'll want to join in.

Cineworld Confirms July Re-Opening Of All Movie Theaters, Sets Dates For U.S., UK & More
https://deadline.com/2020/06/cineworld- ... 202960140/
Regal Entertainment owner Cineworld Group has confirmed it will re-open cinemas in some of its markets during the last week of June, with all theaters expected to be back online during the course of July. Cineworld chief Mooky Greidinger had previously told Deadline he expected a late June/early July start back to operations, while the company recently reiterated July was the overall target.

The Special One wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 2:38 am
Cineworld Confirms July Re-Opening Of All Movie Theaters, Sets Dates For U.S., UK & More
https://deadline.com/2020/06/cineworld- ... 202960140/
Regal Entertainment owner Cineworld Group has confirmed it will re-open cinemas in some of its markets during the last week of June, with all theaters expected to be back online during the course of July. Cineworld chief Mooky Greidinger had previously told Deadline he expected a late June/early July start back to operations, while the company recently reiterated July was the overall target.
(Dates are still subject to final clarifications and confirmation in relation to various government COVID-19 restrictions in certain territories.)
NIce for them to have a target but it's all wishful thinking for the US/UK until the government gives them the greenlight and we don't get spikes. I'm hoping it'll work out though.

Oku
China is probably not that big a factor in WB's internal meetings about Tenet's release; it's all about that sweet domestic money, baby.

Oku wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 4:44 am
China is probably not that big a factor in WB's internal meetings about Tenet's release; it's all about that sweet domestic money, baby.
I don't know about that; China is the second largest market for Hollywood films. That wasn’t the case when TDK was released. I would be surprised if the Chinese market wasn’t a big factor for WB.

However, there are only a handful of movies since 2000 which have opened below $50 million and topped $200 million domestic. So, yes, it’s possible, if the film plays like a 1980’s-style megahit.Those films were acclaimed and popular crowd-pleasers. They generally, save for the R-rated comedies, played to kids and earned repeat business. Even presuming the “time inversion” actioner is suitably crowd-pleasing, how kid-friendly is it? And even if it’s safe for kids, will audiences risk danger and/or brave non-ideal theatrical experiences to see it twice?
But unless things dramatically improve, in terms of available treatments, declining infections and/or the general populace’s willingness to wear a mask, it’s harder to fathom people risking peril to see Tenet multiple times. Repeat business is usually key to blockbuster-level business, and lord help Warner Bros. and friends if Tenet is the sort of movie that benefits from a second viewing.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:18 am

However, there are only a handful of movies since 2000 which have opened below $50 million and topped $200 million domestic. So, yes, it’s possible, if the film plays like a 1980’s-style megahit.Those films were acclaimed and popular crowd-pleasers. They generally, save for the R-rated comedies, played to kids and earned repeat business. Even presuming the “time inversion” actioner is suitably crowd-pleasing, how kid-friendly is it? And even if it’s safe for kids, will audiences risk danger and/or brave non-ideal theatrical experiences to see it twice?
But unless things dramatically improve, in terms of available treatments, declining infections and/or the general populace’s willingness to wear a mask, it’s harder to fathom people risking peril to see Tenet multiple times. Repeat business is usually key to blockbuster-level business, and lord help Warner Bros. and friends if Tenet is the sort of movie that benefits from a second viewing.
The mainstream media likes to subtlely promote a prolonged lockdown because they get more 'clicks'.

Nolan is obviously not trying to maximise his paycheck...he's trying to revive the cinema chains - some of whom are in HUGE danger.

Cineworld provided the following opening dates:
Unites States: July 10
United Kingdom: July 10
Poland: July 3
Czech Republic: June 26
Slovakia: June 26
Israel: July 9
Bulgaria: July 3
Hungary and Romania: to be confirmed (anticipated for week of July 3)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/business ... index.html