Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Vader182 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:04 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:49 pm
While the Twitter mob would turn their back anyone, don't take it too seriously.

But some movies like Unhinged are going to be released first. Mulan going to be released 1 week later.

So people are going to blame Nolan for making movies that are more popular than others? They should pay him a tribute for saving AMC from going bankrupt.
how can you say Nolan is blameless in reopening but a savior for AMC

those are literally mutually exclusive ideas

-Vader
Unless Nolan is going around personally sprinkling Clovid-infected air particles on moviegoers, he is far from responsible for increased cases, if there are any. Governments are allowing movie theaters and every other business to reopen. People can choose if they want to go. Nobody is being forced.

Nolan is, however, personally saving cinemas. If his movie moves, so does every other movie. Theaters cannot open and be successful without studio content.

marshallmurphy wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:24 pm
Vader182 wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:49 pm
While the Twitter mob would turn their back anyone, don't take it too seriously.

But some movies like Unhinged are going to be released first. Mulan going to be released 1 week later.

So people are going to blame Nolan for making movies that are more popular than others? They should pay him a tribute for saving AMC from going bankrupt.

-Vader
Unless Nolan is going around personally sprinkling Clovid-infected air particles on moviegoers, he is far from responsible for increased cases, if there are any. Governments are allowing movie theaters and every other business to reopen. People can choose if they want to go. Nobody is being forced.

Nolan is, however, personally saving cinemas. If his movie moves, so does every other movie. Theaters cannot open and be successful without studio content.
People just want things to be outraged over.. There's plenty of valid things in this world to get mad about, Chris Nolan releasing a new movie shouldn't be one of those things. I really do think that the media coverage of COVID-19, although effective in getting people to comply with social distancing ordinances out of fear early on, really overdid it and triggered an overreaction/irrational response in people. Practice common sense people, stepping out of your house isn't gonna give you COVID-19... it's time to get back to life.

ninenin wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:00 am
Practice common sense people, stepping out of your house isn't gonna give you COVID-19... it's time to get back to life.
While true, I'm careful about what I do and where I go because my mom is over 60 and I'm quarantining with her. I have to be careful for her sake, and of course with anybody else that I interact with for any particular reason (including my baby nephew when I go see him).

As John Campea says every day: "Be smart, stay safe, take care of yourself, and take care of those around you."

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:43 am
ninenin wrote:
Practice common sense people, stepping out of your house isn't gonna give you COVID-19... it's time to get back to life.
While true, I'm careful about what I do and where I go because my mom is over 60 and I'm quarantining with her. I have to be careful for her sake.

As John Campea says every day: "Be smart, stay safe, take care of yourself, and take care of those around you."
Yea, if I were in your situation, I will be very careful as well. Fortunately, I live alone and barely go out nowadays.

Also, I just begun following John Campea show because of the lockdown. Pity that I don't give a damn about 80% of all superhero movies, which occupy quite a fair bit of the discussion topics.

ninenin wrote:
marshallmurphy wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:24 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

People just want things to be outraged over.. There's plenty of valid things in this world to get mad about, Chris Nolan releasing a new movie shouldn't be one of those things. I really do think that the media coverage of COVID-19, although effective in getting people to comply with social distancing ordinances out of fear early on, really overdid it and triggered an overreaction/irrational response in people. Practice common sense people, stepping out of your house isn't gonna give you COVID-19... it's time to get back to life.
But an enclosed confinement might. That’s why this is so tricky.

"people can choose if they want to go" - let's not forget how much the notion of the theatrical window takes away a certain amount of choice, particularly for a cultural event type film like this. The whole idea is based on restricting choice to favour one viewing format over another. If you wanna see Tenet before Christmas, you have no choice but to go to the cinema with its associated risks. I've brought up this example before but imagine if Endgame was in this position right now.

See it and risk COVID in July on opening or wait until Christmas for home release isn't really a choice...for casual viewers, perhaps yes and that's why they're going for it

Imagine Tenet releases as per schedule and 3-4 days later news come out saying viewer got infected from theatre! That will be the last nail in coffin for WB!

antovolk wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 4:09 am
"people can choose if they want to go" - let's not forget how much the notion of the theatrical window takes away a certain amount of choice, particularly for a cultural event type film like this. The whole idea is based on restricting choice to favour one viewing format over another. If you wanna see Tenet before Christmas, you have no choice but to go to the cinema with its associated risks. I've brought up this example before but imagine if Endgame was in this position right now.

See it and risk COVID in July on opening or wait until Christmas for home release isn't really a choice...for casual viewers, perhaps yes and that's why they're going for it
agreed. The simple fact is: FOMO. Especially if the reviews for Tenet are great it'll only bolster that sentiment.

I can guarantee some people now who are saying they won't leave the house for Tenet, will reconsider if it gets rave reviews

Theaters have been open since May in Dubai and are re-opening soon in other countries. As of now, it doesn’t seem as dangerous as some are suggesting. Did Dubai conquer Corona? No. Are they trying to go back to “normal” with extra measures to prevent the virus from spreading? Yes.

I agree there’s a risk of getting the virus but I personally don’t think the risk is that much higher than going out for any reason right now. Postponing it any further doesn’t make sense to me because I don’t think the virus will be eradicated by August or even October. It’ll always be there.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenet got pushed back a week or two at the moment and cinemas come down on hard on people wearing masks and limiting the number of people in each theatre (alternate rows and only having people from the same household sit together).