Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
-Am GM of a major theater chain

-WB told us that the go/no go day was yesterday on if they are moving forward with Tenet

-We got an email today that us (the chain) is moving our go/ no go decision to Tuesday. WB said they’re nervous about California because they don’t have a date on when theaters can open

-I think Tenet is moving and they’re figuring out a plan and date and we may know Tuesday
inb4 reddit but user supposedly verified by mods... https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... erm=gxrd6u

August 12th?

Sky007 wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 11:39 am
August 12th?
Honestly? I think if it moves it moves to October at earliest because with August we get the exact same question of will it move. Will 4 weeks really make a difference with the state of the US in particular...

the issue is not being sure if LA is opening, correct? And if Nolan is set on this being the first movie back, then WB might compromise and give him that August slot? Then WW pushes to October. I realize I'm circling back on stuff we've been saying for months.

Sky007 wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:03 pm
the issue is not being sure if LA is opening, correct? And if Nolan is set on this being the first movie back, then WB might compromise and give him that August slot? Then WW pushes to October. I realize I'm circling back on stuff we've been saying for months.
Indeed but...what if August doesn't end up working. And so on. Are they just gonna gradually keep pushing it back?

Push Tenet to Oct.
Wonder Woman to Dec.
and Dune to 2021.

But the issue is WW84 and TG:M are both IMAX movies so it might not work. Also, will theaters be okay with re-opening in October?

Again, cinemas around the world will open before the US and the UK. Hell, here the chains are conducting training sessions for employees and hinting that cinemas will be opening very soon. So the theaters that will get hurt by further delays are the US and the UK ones.

Oku
Third weekend of December (Dune's date) > October.

Nothing physically/technically wrong with October, but the man is superstitiously obsessive about his release dates, so it should be December.

Summer season to winter season: May=October, June=November, July=December, therefore third weekend of July = third weekend of December.

Sky007 wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:03 pm
And if Nolan is set on this being the first movie back...
Isn't the first movie back going to be Unhinged? I thought it had a July 1st release date.

August 14th. Moving Tenet later would foil the current worldwide theater reopening plan.

Insomniac wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 4:28 pm
The core issue is that Nolan really wants his time inversion thriller to be the one that reopens the industry.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 7854f8337c

People keep saying this shit, but is there actually any proof of it?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/imax ... 234594049/
Chris really would like to be coming out with the film that opens theaters,” Gelfond said. “I don’t know anyone in America who is pushing harder to get the theaters re-opened and to get his movie released than Chris Nolan.