Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Has anyone got a reliable equation for how many people need to go to the theaters and see Tenet in order for it to be a success ?? i estimate around 50 million people to break even, but math was never my strong subject and i dont have reliable data.

MLB baseball is targetting a July 4th return.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Has anyone got a reliable equation for how many people need to go to the theaters and see Tenet in order for it to be a success ?? i estimate around 50 million people to break even, but math was never my strong subject and i dont have reliable data.
They say ~85% of world markets and around USD 500 million to break even.

I think 50 million is a good estimate.

I'm fairly confident that Tenet will open July 17 but I worry that people will still be scared to go to cinemas. What can save Tenet's box office and the industry frankly, is if critics are kind to Nolan and Tenet. Typically his films are critically acclaimed but for Tenet this is the most important thing, it can be the difference between people deciding to go see it or not.

Tenet needs to have box office legs and that only happens from good word of mouth. I am sure many will be hesitant to see it the first weekend but will reconsider they realise that safety precautions have been successful and they will see it in consequent weeks. So while Tenet seemingly is very complicated and can alienate critics and audiences alike, strong critical support for Tenet will help Tenet's box office immensely.

I know it sounds stupid but even critics don't think Tenet is a masterpiece I hope they dont sh*t on it, and just give it a positive review

People need to be prepared that no matter how good the movie is, box office is not going to be great, at least the opening few weeks.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:11 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:

It could be less around 40-45 million considering IMAX tickets are much more expensive that standard tickets. For example, in Australia standard tickets prices are $20 and IMAX tickets are $35-$50

radewart wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:26 am
People need to be prepared that no matter how good the movie is, box office is not going to be great, at least the opening few weeks.
exactly, I know and I'm prepared for it. But I just hope critics know their influence and are able to help Tenet stay in cinemas longer

Forum Pro
I wonder if the theater chains, AMC/Regal/Cinemark especially, will market themselves to announce that they're opening back up. That would be a huge boost.

intersteIIarx wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:26 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:11 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:

It could be less around 40-45 million considering IMAX tickets are much more expensive that standard tickets. For example, in Australia standard tickets prices are $20 and IMAX tickets are $35-$50

Lol, Australians are rich as fuck??? Movie tickets are much cheaper in USA then. $20 for a movie ticket is ridiculous.