Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Forum Pro
speedy117 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:55 am
LelekPL wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:24 am
Vader182 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
I don't think it will be that simple.

Interstellar had lukewarm reviews and nearly cleared 700 million worldwide with crazy high user ratings.

-Vader
I said IF it underperforms. 700 million for an original movie is not underperforming. But if it makes 300 then people will say "well it was released in a difficult time but it didn't help the movie wasn't all that good. Just look at Mulan, it did much better"

I think WB will be happy with 500 million considering the circumstances. 400 would be just ok. Anything below 400 though, people will start pointing fingers at either COVID or the film's quality (especially if Mulan does much better).
If Mulan does better than Tenet then I don't know what I'm going to do...
Tenet is an original idea that has no true movie stars or obvious box office draw. Mulan is a live action, remake of a beloved Disney animated film of a branded IP. Mulan should do better than Tenet.

If I were Nolan/WB, I’d push the film back a month and let Mulan come out first. Letting them be the experiment to gauge if people are rushing back to theaters

Joshua Strong wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am
speedy117 wrote:
LelekPL wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:24 am

I said IF it underperforms. 700 million for an original movie is not underperforming. But if it makes 300 then people will say "well it was released in a difficult time but it didn't help the movie wasn't all that good. Just look at Mulan, it did much better"

I think WB will be happy with 500 million considering the circumstances. 400 would be just ok. Anything below 400 though, people will start pointing fingers at either COVID or the film's quality (especially if Mulan does much better).
Tenet is an original idea that has no true movie stars or obvious box office draw. Mulan is a live action, remake of a beloved Disney animated film of a branded IP. Mulan should do better than Tenet.

If I were Nolan/WB, I’d push the film back a month and let Mulan come out first. Letting them be the experiment to gauge if people are rushing back to theaters
The decision to release Tenet before Mulan is probably to reinforce relationship with theater chain, to promote Warner as the defender of theatrical experience, and play into the narrative of Nolan saving cinema, which already existed before Covid (PTA, Tarantino or Gray crediting him for keeping 70mm in the US, when they were about to all go digital).
Warner knows that the film would most likely make more money if released in August, but there are other things at play than money for them.

By the way, if you look at the comment on this forum in various thread, most people seem to be willing to go to the cinema to watch Tenet, but how many will go multiple times? I know I will go at least once, but will I go 4 times like Dunkirk? Depends how the situation evolves.
Also, let's not over estimate the importance of domestic market for Nolan. Interstellar made more than 5/7th of its revenue outside of the domestic market.

Demoph wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:59 am
Joshua Strong wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am
speedy117 wrote:

The decision to release Tenet before Mulan is probably to reinforce relationship with theater chain, to promote Warner as the defender of theatrical experience, and play into the narrative of Nolan saving cinema, which already existed before Covid (PTA, Tarantino or Gray crediting him for keeping 70mm in the US, when they were about to all go digital).
Warner knows that the film would most likely make more money if released in August, but there are other things at play than money for them.

By the way, if you look at the comment on this forum in various thread, most people seem to be willing to go to the cinema to watch Tenet, but how many will go multiple times? I know I will go at least once, but will I go 4 times like Dunkirk? Depends how the situation evolves.
Also, let's not over estimate the importance of domestic market for Nolan. Interstellar made more than 5/7th of its revenue outside of the domestic market.

I will watch it at least twice just to make sure I catch all the details of the plot, even if the movie turns out to be slightly disappointing. The action sequences alone deserve multiple viewings.

There's an IndieWire Zoom webinar happening - NY/LA apparently only make up to 12-14% of domestic box office according to Paramount’s head of US distribution - but he’s bullish on Tenet still opening on 17th…thinking it might not necessarily move if NY/LA aren’t open...

antovolk wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm
There's an IndieWire Zoom webinar happening - NY/LA apparently only make up to 12-14% of domestic box office according to Paramount’s head of US distribution - but he’s bullish on Tenet still opening on 17th…thinking it might not necessarily move if NY/LA aren’t open...
That's great news!

antovolk wrote:
If at least LA is open, I could maybe see it not moving if NY is the only one still closed.

antovolk wrote:
At this point WB is better off just releasing Tenet on July 17th

El Especial wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 6:01 pm
antovolk wrote:
Yep. The marketing push and momentum would perfectly align with a July 17th release.

El Especial wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 6:01 pm
antovolk wrote:
Let's let the status of Covid-19 over the next 7 weeks decide that, thanks.

-Vader

I think it will release on either 7/17 or 8/14 no matter what, unless there's a catastrophic situation.