Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I wouldn't mind Nolan turning to smaller scale films every so often tbh. But we definitely need another huge espionage blockbuster with a mysterious sci-fi element to it with an Asian-American lead :P Cast Steven Yeun pls

i think he will pull a Spielberg of sorts, start making even more personal films, tackling the themes much more intensely than his bigger movies, and in an even riskier fashion, it might even bee the part of his career where he gets all of the awards he doesnt get now.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Also we hear that Nolan has 20% of Tenet‘s first dollar gross, which makes the need for a huge gross even greater for Warner Bros.
Imagine in a world where COVID-19 didn't happen and Tenet grossed 1 billion. That would mean Nolan makes 200 million pre-taxes which is pretty obscene.
Movie theaters get a cut of the box office grosses, also.

damn!

Nolan has had a 20M$+20% for his last two films already. So he's already earned more than 100M$ for Interstellar and Dunkirk.

BTW, cinemas are to open in June in Italy, I think in July they'll be open in most european countries. So the question is really about the US.

Ace wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:40 pm
https://deadline.com/2020/05/tenet-cor ... 202928823/
Deadline added a update to the earlier article.
A film finance source tells Deadline that given the pricey economics of Tenet, it requires a domestic release of 3,5K theaters including most of the major cities, and more than 30K screens worldwide. “None of that will be known until much closer to release,” our source adds. Also we hear that Nolan has 20% of Tenet‘s first dollar gross, which makes the need for a huge gross even greater for Warner Bros.
What exactly is meant by "first dollar gross?" Does that mean strictly 20% of its theatrical run, and not including things like video release sales and such?

Oku
Wasn't a similar deal reported for Dunkirk by THR I think it was or was it Variety, but then later denied(?) by Vanity Fair?

So I wouldn't put too much stock in it either way, unless your Mr. Nolan's accountant or something, in which case...bruh

With there being a positive sign from LA, basically every box has been checked except NY.

Oku
Yeah I would have waited one more week before moving ahead with the trailer, since as you said, NY is still up in the air.

But I guess that they're feeling good enough about it and they decided that they can't push it off any longer.