Tenet - Box Office Discussion/Speculation

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
It’s not hard to convince people to go movie theaters at all and that’s the thing. Rational people will stay in quarantine but not everyone is rational.

I don’t know what’s going on in the US and the UK but it seems like the world is definitely going ahead of those two countries. Eid (a holiday here) is coming in 9 days and the government ordered a full lockdown during the holiday to prevent gatherings. We already have lockdown from 5 pm to 9 am. They’re doing that because they know people will go out. That’s how you deal with it and no one’s complaining about their freedom being taken away.

antovolk wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Well I'm personally not suggesting an August move. October or the winter feels like a better and safer option for the reasons I described. By that point, governments are more likely to have their shit together and the situation would be far more under control - even if there won't be a vaccine.

I know I explained this before here and elsewhere but here's the problem at the core of all this - the US and UK governments are fucking up so so so badly with their response to the virus, leading them to be the two worst-hit countries as we speak. Look at Ireland, handled it better and isn't opening cinemas until August. Australia didn't even announce July reopenings for cinemas until the number of new daily cases/deaths was in the tens or lower. Meanwhile, I don't have the US numbers to hand but the UK is still having hundreds of daily deaths and thousands of daily cases, and they're hoping to open up cinemas in July with this current state? Without widespread testing and contact tracing? Businesses and the industry appears to be operating on the assumption that when the government gives the go ahead to reopen it will actually be safe. But that's arguably flawed. Is it really gonna be safe when the governments says it will be?

And the Endgame point - it's a biggest example of a movie that was an actual cultural event. That people were highly encouraged to see opening weekend to find out how it all ends, to avoid the spoilers, this push was a massive part of the marketing. The FOMO factor with this was absolutely massive. Imagine if Endgame was in Tenet's position right now. You either miss out or get spoiled on the biggest cultural moment in cinema since Empire Strikes Back or wait 4 months for the Blu-ray.

Morally and ethically, at this stage (July) especially (if not before the actual health risk attached to indoor cinemas, which still remains even if they do their absolute goddamn best which I don't doubt they will, goes away with a vaccine/treatment), every film releasing needs to offer an at-home option. But Nolan would never accept that and for a film at that budget there's no economic model, even Sean Parker's Screening Room seemingly which got the closest, that can make that work. Maybe there's hope for drive-ins...but ones able to show new releases don't exist here in the UK.

EDIT: read this for a balanced debate of both sides of the issue from actual cinema owners: https://www.the-bigger-picture.com/arti ... as-reopen/
I totally understand and respect the spoiler viewpoint, and honestly I don’t have much of an opinion (or rather I don't know what my opinion is) about when this should come out and what the right date is. I don’t personally have a problem with it coming out in July as planned; the main argument for it being pushed back for me would be the press tour and the fact that this movie was supposed to be an EVENT, and it likely won’t be with the current situation. Selfish motives, I know, but when you look forward to something for so long and then it gets taken away, it’s hard to come to terms with the fact that things are going to be different than what you imagined for the film. I want the best for Nolan and for this movie, so whatever decision is made I’ll trust is the best one and support it in any way I can.

That all being said, I’m never going to understand why almost every other business is allowed to reopen besides theaters. It doesn’t make sense to me. I have family members who are back at work, spending 10 hours there a day, coming into contact with tons of people. Why should theaters not be allowed to open? They may not be “essential”, but nobody has to go, unlike work. There are people out there who have to go to work (non-essential work at that), they don’t have a choice. And yes, there is the spoiler argument, which I completely understand and respect. But do most normal movie-goers even care if movies are spoiled before they see them?

Here's how I see it: If people can go to work all day, they should be able to have something to look forward to on the weekend. They should have the choice to go to the theater.

TeddyBlass wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:07 pm
StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:25 pm
I'm sorry, but potentially risk your life? I wholeheartedly understand the overall health concerns, but with the probably extreme safety measures theaters will be taking, I just can't see that being the case. Like ninenin said, a person is far more likely to die in an accident driving to the theater than to die from getting corona in a limited capacity, heavily sanitized theater.
Um what?

36,560 people died from car accidents in 2018 — the last year with stats available. Deaths from COVID-19 far surpass that in less than half a year.

Am I missing something?
I'm wrong here, that was a flawed point. I apologize.

It does not matter if it's Unhinged, or Tenet, movie theaters will be packed Americans, don't live in fear.
Last edited by CountDooku on May 14th, 2020, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:11 pm
I don’t know what’s going on in the US and the UK but it seems like the world is definitely going ahead of those two countries. Eid (a holiday here) is coming in 9 days and the government ordered a full lockdown during the holiday to prevent gatherings. We already have lockdown from 5 pm to 9 am. They’re doing that because they know people will go out. That’s how you deal with it and no one’s complaining about their freedom being taken away.
Sounds like you live in a sane country.

The fact that this shit is being decided by corporate executives and politicians and not a panel of scientists and doctors is the real tragedy here.

A lot of the deaths are in nursing homes and that is really skewing any kind of rational analysis one can make on the risk of the situation.

Here’s what we know at this time: solid sources hear that Warner Bros needs at least 80% of the world’s theaters to be open, including New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco (which rep 25% of a pic’s opening weekend), in order to keep Tenet on its original release date.
If this is true, then a July release date looks bleak.

The article says that some theater owners anticipate that Tenet will be pushed back to August 14th and Wonder Woman will be in December. That means what for Dune? June 2021 where Batman was originally scheduled? Also, is only 18* days enough of a delay for Tenet if enough theater still aren't open?

*28 day, bad initial math
Last edited by radewart on May 15th, 2020, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.