Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
marshallmurphy wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:10 pm
ninenin wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
I'm probably gonna get torn apart by the mob here, but someone should write an open letter to Nolan telling him not to listen to that dude. "Death sentence"?, please, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the theatre than contracting COVID in the theatre and dying from it (with planned physical distancing in place). Only agree with the final article.
That article was for sure overly dramatic and also a little disrespectful at parts. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the theater - it is a choice. Things are opening back up in the US, people are going back to work. Where I'm at, some movie theaters have already opened, restaurants have opened, and gyms are supposed to open back up on Monday. So why are theaters getting so much negativity about when they plan to open? Again, nobody has to go see a movie.

Thank you for being rational!

marshallmurphy wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:28 pm
antovolk wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm
At the very least by fall/winter 1. people would be more accustomed to the new normal, including cinemas restrictions if they reopen as planned 2. there should hopefully be somewhat accessible treatment and/or at the very least widespread testing and contact tracing. We'll be better prepared to tackle the 2nd wave if it comes, vs back in February...

@marshallmurphy - you're discounting the cultural event/FOMO and yes, spoiler factor in all this. The choice will be - potentially risk your life, OR wait until Christmas for the Blu-ray. Imagine if Endgame was in this position. Is that really a choice?

also I remain :lol: at that Vanity Fair article and others seriously lapping up that Russell Crowe film's PR and considering it as a serious factor here.
If the movie moves to August or October, I don't see how things will be any different, particularly if it moves to August which seems to be what everyone is suggesting. People will still feel like they are "missing out".

I don't understand your point with Endgame.
Well I'm personally not suggesting an August move. October or the winter feels like a better and safer option for the reasons I described. By that point, governments are more likely to have their shit together and the situation would be far more under control - even if there won't be a vaccine.

I know I explained this before here and elsewhere but here's the problem at the core of all this - the US and UK governments are fucking up so so so badly with their response to the virus, leading them to be the two worst-hit countries as we speak. Look at Ireland, handled it better and isn't opening cinemas until August. Australia didn't even announce July reopenings for cinemas until the number of new daily cases/deaths was in the tens or lower. Meanwhile, I don't have the US numbers to hand but the UK is still having hundreds of daily deaths and thousands of daily cases, and they're hoping to open up cinemas in July with this current state? Without widespread testing and contact tracing? Businesses and the industry appears to be operating on the assumption that when the government gives the go ahead to reopen it will actually be safe. But that's arguably flawed. Is it really gonna be safe when the governments says it will be?

And the Endgame point - it's a biggest example of a movie that was an actual cultural event. That people were highly encouraged to see opening weekend to find out how it all ends, to avoid the spoilers, this push was a massive part of the marketing. The FOMO factor with this was absolutely massive. Imagine if Endgame was in Tenet's position right now. You either miss out or get spoiled on the biggest cultural moment in cinema since Empire Strikes Back or wait 4 months for the Blu-ray.

Morally and ethically, at this stage (July) especially (if not before the actual health risk attached to indoor cinemas, which still remains even if they do their absolute goddamn best which I don't doubt they will, goes away with a vaccine/treatment), every film releasing needs to offer an at-home option. But Nolan would never accept that and for a film at that budget there's no economic model, even Sean Parker's Screening Room seemingly which got the closest, that can make that work. Maybe there's hope for drive-ins...but ones able to show new releases don't exist here in the UK.

EDIT: read this for a balanced debate of both sides of the issue from actual cinema owners: https://www.the-bigger-picture.com/arti ... as-reopen/

A lot of these articles are saying the same stuff over and over again.. That "open letter" was pure clickbait.

radewart wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 1:11 pm
A lot of these articles are saying the same stuff over and over again.. That "open letter" was pure clickbait.
I wonder why... oh because no one else in the industry is willing to publicly contemplate this whole dilemma of 'is it actually safe'?

Oku
It really is a dilemma because on the one hand, yes, health comes first and theaters are a completely, wholly unnecessary stupid risk to take (vs. supermarkets, I mean) in the age of unlimited movies in your hand (smartphone) and so on.

That being said, on the other hand, 100% selfish yes, but...TENET. :(

July is still two months away, let's sincerely hope that the authorities can get their act together and make everything safe enough that a luxury like theaters can get going again.

From the WaPo article Ace posted...
"Warner Bros. executives acknowledge they will release the film only if the country’s two largest markets, New York and Los Angeles, are fully open"

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Like ninenin said, a person is far more likely to die in an accident driving to the theater than to die from getting corona in a limited capacity, heavily sanitized theater.
Can you also infect another person with a driving accident? No? Then don't make comparisons that don't make sense. The VAST majority of people who advocate the dangers of corona aren't afraid of dying themselves. They are afraid of infecting a large number of other people who are more vulnerable for whom it might be a death sentence.

LelekPL wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Like ninenin said, a person is far more likely to die in an accident driving to the theater than to die from getting corona in a limited capacity, heavily sanitized theater.
Can you also infect another person with a driving accident? No? Then don't make comparisons that don't make sense. The VAST majority of people who advocate the dangers of corona aren't afraid of dying themselves. They are afraid of infecting a large number of other people who are more vulnerable for whom it might be a death sentence.
This
People don’t want to risk spreading it other people. The US government is doing a terrible job with Covid. With things opening there will be more cases 20,000+ new cases a day and over a thousand deaths daily. Hard to convince people to go the movies during that time.

marshallmurphy wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:10 pm
ninenin wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
I'm probably gonna get torn apart by the mob here, but someone should write an open letter to Nolan telling him not to listen to that dude. "Death sentence"?, please, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the theatre than contracting COVID in the theatre and dying from it (with planned physical distancing in place). Only agree with the final article.
That article was for sure overly dramatic and also a little disrespectful at parts. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the theater - it is a choice. Things are opening back up in the US, people are going back to work. Where I'm at, some movie theaters have already opened, restaurants have opened, and gyms are supposed to open back up on Monday. So why are theaters getting so much negativity about when they plan to open? Again, nobody has to go see a movie.
Exactly! I mean beaches in LA county are open for fuck sake. Gyms are also open in some places like in Illinois. These are NOT essential 'services' that people can't live without. Cinema is another example of non-essential entertainment.

But the thing is that you can implement strict social distancing policies easier than on a beach. Also, most people who are still working have more flexible working hours now. The crowd will be more spread out throughout the day, rather than in the evening and on the weekends.

Unless there's really disastrous surge of COVID like in March, cinemas should certainly be allowed to open.

I'm sorry, but potentially risk your life? I wholeheartedly understand the overall health concerns, but with the probably extreme safety measures theaters will be taking, I just can't see that being the case. Like ninenin said, a person is far more likely to die in an accident driving to the theater than to die from getting corona in a limited capacity, heavily sanitized theater.
Um what?

36,560 people died from car accidents in 2018 — the last year with stats available. Deaths from COVID-19 far surpass that in less than half a year.

Am I missing something?