Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
https://variety.com/2020/film/global/co ... 234599239/
U.K. exhibitors are presenting evidence to the government that would allow them to safely reopen doors by the end of June.

Phil Clapp, chief executive of the U.K. Cinema Association, tells Variety: “We’ve made representations to government on the safeguards which U.K. cinemas would look to have in place for audiences and staff alike upon re-opening, and have asked that consideration be given – with these in mind – to allow cinemas to open by end June.”

Clapp adds, however, that the exhibition sector will be “led by the government’s understanding of the risk presented by COVID-19 and respond accordingly.”

It is ultimately the government that will decide at what point cinemas can reopen as part of the easing of lockdown measures; however, the fact that cinema operators are confident enough to be targeting June over a July restart is significant.

All U.K. cinemas were shuttered the week of March 16 after Prime Minister Boris Johnson suggested the public “avoid” social venues — a directive that was followed a week later by official lockdown orders on March 23.

Sources tell Variety that a “constructive, active dialogue” is underway this week between industry bodies and the government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, as Johnson is expected to announce plans around easing lockdown restrictions on Sunday.

Tenet is not coming out in July, it's a pipe dream. I'm astounded to see some folks here being like "I don't care about lockdowns, lift it just so we can get Tenet in July". Petty, reckless.

Too many places are already reopening too soon, there will be more infections and deaths as a result. Is that acceptable? No. A movie theater is also literally a dream scenario for Covid 19, hundreds (or a few dozens with restrictions) of folks sitting together in a confined room for 2 to 3 hours? With, per AMC surveys, not necessarily an obligation to wear masks (which it ABSOLUTELY needs to be).

Temperature checks also don't catch asymptomatic carriers who will be gently breathing out the virus for the entirety of the film, even with a mask. Then people leave, some inevitably pass by those people, breathe it in, the end.

Those same AMC surveys also have outrageous proposals such as "are you okay with having to buy two seats?", even proposing a "no coughing or sneezing policy", WHAT?!

Insanity, all of it. Many theaters would probably die as a result, but waiting for a vaccine (which could be this year if we're lucky) is really the safest option.

Kudos to the brave few who will risk their life to go see Tenet if it somehow stays in July.

As I said in the other thread in movies/TV, what UK announces Sunday will be a turning point.

Though not necessarily for this? My personal feeling is Nolan will still carry though with putting the exhibition business first here (which keeping July in the first place and WB not like putting WW84 as the canary in the coal mine - if they put one at all) and helping them by providing the content that would allow them to reopen - even if release is staggered across states or countries etc.

Unfortunately, audience be damned? Both from a spoiler/secrecy perspective but also safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... inium-poll

Jax_Teller wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 5:24 am
I'm astounded to see some folks here being like "I don't care about lockdowns, lift it just so we can get Tenet in July".
where exactly is this happening??

The previous page alone with choruses of "oh let's live with the risk already, what are they waiting for?"

Jax_Teller wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:28 am
The previous page alone with choruses of "oh let's live with the risk already, what are they waiting for?"
Are you also afraid of your own shadow? Just because you feel like it's necessary to live like it's the apocalypse, doesn't mean everyone else has to share that belief. I'm calling for moderation. We can take precautions while trying to salvage what is left of "normal life". I'm really tired of scare-mongers giving people crap for even expressing that they wish to see a return to normalcy, no matter how gradually or carefully it is done.
Last edited by ninenin on May 6th, 2020, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

It would be nothing short of a miracle if a vaccine releases this year, let alone an actually effective one. I'm not saying theaters should re-open if things aren't improved enough by July (though the curve is pretty much flattened in most areas now), but I doubt simply going to a movie is going to kill someone unless they're 80 or have a condition, but those people would likely avoid going anyway. In some areas the chances of getting the virus may not even be high. Honestly? People have risked their lives everyday even before the virus simply by going out.

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:49 am
It would be nothing short of a miracle if a vaccine releases this year, let alone an actually effective one. I'm not saying theaters should re-open if things aren't improved enough by July, but I doubt simply going to a movie is going to kill someone unless they're 80 or have a condition, but those people would likely avoid going anyway. In some areas the chances of getting the virus may not even be high.
Too bad we live in a time where nuance is forgotten, and sensationalism reigns supreme. I really do think that the media, although doing a service in disseminating important COVID-19 information, has also done us a disservice in causing wide-spread panic and over-reaction.

ninenin wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:54 am
StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:49 am
It would be nothing short of a miracle if a vaccine releases this year, let alone an actually effective one. I'm not saying theaters should re-open if things aren't improved enough by July, but I doubt simply going to a movie is going to kill someone unless they're 80 or have a condition, but those people would likely avoid going anyway. In some areas the chances of getting the virus may not even be high.
Too bad we live in a time where nuance is forgotten, and sensationalism reigns supreme. I really do think that the media, although doing a service in disseminating important COVID-19 information, has also done us a disservice in causing wide-spread panic and over-reaction.
Very true, people are so influenced by what media and journalists have to say nowadays it's downright scary sometimes.

For me personally, here in Belgium: if I'm allowed to go to the shops following the strict health safety measures, why wouldn't it be allowed to go watch a movie with enough space between each other. Just my personal opinion though of course

Jax_Teller wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:28 am
I'm with you. Both here and reddit have a few people like this (I suspect they might even be the same user haha). The difference between the average Canadian and the average American during this pandemic has been astounding to see. Hell, just contrasting the response from various levels of government between our countries is noteworthy. Stay safe everyone.