Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Even if this thing ends sooner than later, it will take time for people to recover and go back to their normal lives. It's not like "oh the virus is gone and we are bored as shit, let's go watch Tenet!" No, people will still be hesitant. On top of that, millions of people have lost jobs, and the last thing on people's minds is watching a movie.

speedy117 wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Even if this thing ends sooner than later, it will take time for people to recover and go back to their normal lives. It's not like "oh the virus is gone and we are bored as shit, let's go watch Tenet!" No, people will still be hesitant. On top of that, millions of people have lost jobs, and the last thing on people's minds is watching a movie.
No actually, its a lot like that. People do want to go out and watch movies, it’s whether it will be wise to do so by July. The lockdown will likely have a staggered release, smaller gatherings like the cinema will likely be one of the earliest things we are allowed to do in a group.

If you're smart and still have a job, you'll want to save up some money instead of spending money on films. I will definitely be skipping the theater more often than not once they open. I'll MAYBE watch Tenet, Dune or Top Gun and that's about it. And that's being optimistic.

Of course cutting costs on theaters won't get you far, definitely not as much as cutting expenses on food (less take outs, more home cooking) or new clothes but cutting non essentials sill helps at least a bit.

Sharkboy wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 3:48 am
speedy117 wrote:
No actually, its a lot like that. People do want to go out and watch movies, it’s whether it will be wise to do so by July. The lockdown will likely have a staggered release, smaller gatherings like the cinema will likely be one of the earliest things we are allowed to do in a group.
So you are telling me that if this thing settles down by July (which it won't), people will go balls deep and return to their normal lives and be even more eager? And I bet the last thing on people's minds right now is "Man! I really want to be sitting in a theater right now with some popcorn!" Nah. You have to account for the slow recovery.

LelekPL wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:21 am
If you're smart and still have a job, you'll want to save up some money instead of spending money on films. I will definitely be skipping the theater more often than not once they open. I'll MAYBE watch Tenet, Dune or Top Gun and that's about it. And that's being optimistic.

Of course cutting costs on theaters won't get you far, definitely not as much as cutting expenses on food (less take outs, more home cooking) or new clothes but cutting non essentials sill helps at least a bit.
A night at the movies can set me back upwards of $80.

speedy117 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Sharkboy wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 3:48 am
speedy117 wrote:
So you are telling me that if this thing settles down by July (which it won't), people will go balls deep and return to their normal lives and be even more eager? And I bet the last thing on people's minds right now is "Man! I really want to be sitting in a theater right now with some popcorn!" Nah. You have to account for the slow recovery.
Don’t know what it’s like wherever you are from, but over here in the UK, a lot of the general consensus is that people can’t wait to resume their normal lives as soon as possible, this idea you have of people living in fear is unfounded and short sighted. If that were the case then the majority of the world wouldn’t be failing at keeping this virus at bay.

And yes it likely will settle down by July, it’s whether it’s going to be enough to ease lockdown for cinemas or not and whether we are at risk of a second wave. Do you watch the news?

I think people want to go back to normal life. Everyone wants to leave their homes and go back out. However people will be hurting Financial. Lot people will be returning to work. Lot of people will trying to get their income back up. Also people may want to back to theater but it take a month or two have people feel safe going back to a crowd area. Even if theaters open in June/July I would expect it will take until August or September to make people feel comfortable to going in a large public event. God forbid someone is coughing in a theater. That will freak people out.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm
I think people want to go back to normal life. Everyone wants to leave their homes and go back out. However people will be hurting Financial. Lot people will be returning to work. Lot of people will trying to get their income back up. Also people may want to back to theater but it take a month or two have people feel safe going back to a crowd area. Even if theaters open in June/July I would expect it will take until August or September to make people feel comfortable to going in a large public event. God forbid someone is coughing in a theater. That will freak people out.
Those who are freaked out by someone coughing won't go to the theatre, I'm sure... otherwise, I think both sides of the argument have a point. I think the majority of people are just living through this quarantine without thinking about what it really means, so the moment it is lifted they will just return to their former lifestyles. But I also think there could be a sort of "slowish" migration back into theatres - for two-three weeks, or something like that.

Ace

...Cinemark CEO and Board Director Mark Zoradi added there will be two weeks of “showing library product, high profile library product” as the chain expects a slow ramp of attendance. The big blast off anticipated here is the weekend of July 17-19 which is where Warner Bros. Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is blasting off.