Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Well, Black Widow officially gets delayed. Wonder Woman 1984 soon maybe. I guess we need to start to deal with the fact the TENET will be announced delayed sooner or later, too.

Yes, I can see they replace DUNE's date with TENET and move DUNE to 2021. I don't have any problem with DUNE but please don't make TENET a 2021 release.

Forum Pro
Tenet could be the first big blockbuster post quarantine and that could be huge but I like the idea of it coming out on Christmas if it movies dates.

At this point I think it's inevitable that Tenet is going to move to a later release date.

This plague will have long implications on the movie industry. The studios are already having trouble getting people in seats before the virus, outside of Marvel, and with people staying inside streaming services will grow and people will get comfortable.

Things will never go back to normal.
Last edited by anikom15 on March 18th, 2020, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
If it moves, it needs to move to December 18, which WB currently has slotted for Dune (which then should be delayed too, obviously).

Here's my rationale for this.

First, in case you don't know, Mr. Nolan loves that third-weekend-of-July date, almost to the point of irrationality: Tenet is now the fifth out of his last six films to come out on that date, and I can't think of a single other filmmaker on Earth who is that loyal to a single release date.

I believe (pure conjecture) that this fondness for the third-weekend-of-July was only hardened after Interstellar came out in November and opened to #2 (first for a Nolan film, I believe) and was considered by many to have underperformed at the domestic box office.

OK so easy solution, just delay to July 2021 then, right?

Well, no, because that's an entire year and excessive, when the film is probably almost done.

So what's the next best solution?

I believe that it's December 18, and my rationale for that goes like this:

The summer movie season is generally considered to be May-June-July.

So rephrased, the third weekend of July translates to the third weekend of the third month of the season.

Now swap out 'summer' for 'winter', and the third weekend of the third month of the season is...December 18.

So basically what I'm saying is, is that whatever 'good luck charm' that he thinks the 'third weekend of the third month of the summer' holds for his film's success at the box office, could also be true for the 'third weekend of the third month of the winter'.

It's not exactly logic rooted in fact, I know, but neither is releasing five of your last six films on the same weekend of the year, so :P

I could see Nolan being stubborn enough to not change the date and WB just going ‘all right 🤷‍♀️’.

Oku wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 1:48 am
If it moves, it needs to move to December 18, which WB currently has slotted for Dune (which then should be delayed too, obviously).

Here's my rationale for this.

First, in case you don't know, Mr. Nolan loves that third-weekend-of-July date, almost to the point of irrationality: Tenet is now the fifth out of his last six films to come out on that date, and I can't think of a single other filmmaker on Earth who is that loyal to a single release date.

I believe (pure conjecture) that this fondness for the third-weekend-of-July was only hardened after Interstellar came out in November and opened to #2 (first for a Nolan film, I believe) and was considered by many to have underperformed at the domestic box office.

OK so easy solution, just delay to July 2021 then, right?

Well, no, because that's an entire year and excessive, when the film is probably almost done.

So what's the next best solution?

I believe that it's December 18, and my rationale for that goes like this:

The summer movie season is generally considered to be May-June-July.

So rephrased, the third weekend of July translates to the third weekend of the third month of the season.

Now swap out 'summer' for 'winter', and the third weekend of the third month of the season is...December 18.

So basically what I'm saying is, is that whatever 'good luck charm' that he thinks the 'third weekend of the third month of the summer' holds for his film's success at the box office, could also be true for the 'third weekend of the third month of the winter'.

It's not exactly logic rooted in fact, I know, but neither is releasing five of your last six films on the same weekend of the year, so :P
Honestly, they are probably waiting to see how the situation develops. One way or another, they are more than likely aware that this virus will affect the box office Tenet will have. There’s no way around that. People will be cautious of going out for a while when everything starts getting better. It’s unfortunate but it happened. And I would dare say that Nolan is aware of this as well so he might be working alongside WB to make the right decision. But who knows. Anything can happen.

anikom15 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 1:53 am
I could see Nolan being stubborn enough to not change the date and WB just going ‘all right 🤷‍♀️’.
Powerful as Nolan is, I don't think he gets the final say about the release date if the epidemic isn't thoroughly contained before July. Plus he adores the pure theatrical experience and I believe he won't want the audience sitting in the theatre worrying about getting infected instead of single-mindedly devoting to the screen.

Part of me thinks that people are going to be so desperate to get out of the house and do something (anything!) when this shutdown is over that movie theaters are going to be booming for a while, especially given the backlog of releases.

These are great times we're living in bros