Tenet - Crew Discussion/Speculation

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Sanchez wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 7:57 pm
So, here is (arguably) the most important people Nolan usually works with (number of collabs with him in parentheses):

Cinematography: Hoyte Van Hoytema (2) - Nothing schedulded for 2020
Editing: Lee Smith (7) - Nothing schedulded for 2020
Sound editing: Richard King/Alex Gibson (6) - Nothing scheduled for 2020
Sound mixing: Gary Rizzo (7) - Nothing scheduled for 2020
Production design: Nathan Crowley (7) - One film scheduled for fall 2020
Visual effects: Paul Franklin/Andrew Lockley/Scott Fisher (6) - Nothing scheduled for 2020

Nolan's wife, Emma Thomas is surely back co-producing.

We have a separate thread for score, but it's worth mentioning that Hans Zimmer actually already has three films scheduled for the summer of next year (Including the SpongeBob movie that is set to release on the same day as Nolan's, lol), and also has two for this year. But we all know that he has the entirety of RCP to help him with compsing, and that Nolan is his biggest/closest collaborator, so it surely won't be an issue.

Hopefully they'll all be back. All the technical guys has won Oscars for working with Nolan. It's seriously time for Crowley, Hoyte and Hans to do the same.

Also, half of these people are working on Dark Phoenix.
great job man, thanks

DarthNata wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Tesla wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:59 pm
I can't see Hoyte not being part of this film but it got me thinking about Wally Pfister. What a pretty dramatic fall from grace he had after he went off to direct transcendence. That film really seems to have hit him hard. Which is a shame because he is a talented cinematographer.
So weird that he went from being an academy award winning cinematographer to directing commercials and a few episodes of average television programs.

Even though Transcendence bombed hard commercially and critically you'd think that he could get a job at least directing a low budget film or quality television if he didn't want to go back to being a DP
Pfister turned into a dick, to be honest. He was name calling and trashing other movies and cinematographers. He might've been right, of course; he trashed The Avengers and said the cinematography was atrocious, he said how Nolan was a fan of Michael Bay's movies and didn't understand why. He was also waaay too vocal about film vs. digital and had way less class than Nolan has when he speaks about it.

By all means, I agree with Pfister's views, but you can't trash talk and call out specific people like that. It's very classless, and I don't think people in Hollywood took kindly to it, and frankly I bet Nolan was irritated with it too. Just speculation there on my part. He's "blacklisted" now in my opinion. It's not just because of Transcendence.

Is there actually anybody else who can handle IMAX camera's handheld? I don't think anybody else has actually done that besides Hoyte. And he also did handheld 65mm in Dunkirk, those things are even heavier than IMAX camera's lol

Besides, I really want them to use IMAX and 65mm again, they're much closer in picture quality than IMAX and 35mm

BlairCo wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Even though it is a given Zimmer will be back, I'd love to see Nolan reunite with David Julyan.
For what purpose? Nostalgia? Nolan has moved way past Julyan's sound at this point, I feel his involvement pushes Zimmer to his absolute best and in return gives Nolan's films it's own overbearing unique oppressive character, that has been integral to his films since TDK.

I hate to say this, but Nolan has kinda outgrown him, just how I can't really see him going back to Pfister.

From an interview with Nathan Crowley about "First Man".
https://deadline.com/2019/02/first-man- ... 202549980/

"Late last month, Christopher Nolan came forward with a date for his next project, without offering up any further details. And while Crowley can’t yet confirm his involvement, he also admittedly “can’t not work with Chris.” "

Sounds like he'll be back with Nolan

Yeah, he's definitely back. That's great! Maybe he'll get his Oscar this time, because I don't see him winning for First Man over The Favourite.

radewart wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 3:17 pm

"Late last month, Christopher Nolan came forward with a date for his next project, without offering up any further details. And while Crowley can’t yet confirm his involvement, he also admittedly “can’t not work with Chris.” "

I think it's a certainty that the team Hoytema/Zimmer/Lee Smith and Nathan Crowley will be back.

radewart wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Good news. Nice find btw

Hustler wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 8:58 pm
This was posted by the Nolan Fans Twitter (Hey, Teddy!), not me. Just wanted to post it here for anyone that doesn't use Twitter to see because I thought it was pretty funny.
https://twitter.com/NolanFans/status/10 ... 3053066240
Do you know where the picture comes from ?