What is an "Event" film?

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
LelekPL wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 9:46 am
But it most likely won't be any IP film. It will be another original.
I feel like it’s a more of an equal chance between being an original script and a known IP. Especially since he did two originals in a row, maybe he feels like adapting something. But even if it’s an IP it’ll have Nolan’s aesthetics through and through, just like The Dark Knight trilogy.

I think because of what he's done with the Dark Knight trilogy and the fact that he want to do Bond one day, it's almost guaranteed not an adaptation/franchise film.

I said this in the old thread but imho Nolan doing Bond, at least in the next couple of years wouldn’t interest me all that much. Especially since Skyfall was so indebted to Dark Knight. It might seem kind of a regression creatively. I’d love to watch of course, but the overall idea is a bit of a buzzkill for me. I think he needs the benefit of more distance between Craig’s iteration and a potential re-imagining of that Universe.

I firmly believe the next film will be a challenge and push in new directions.

Hate to bring this even more off-topic, but I agree that I don't really want to see Nolan do a Bond movie so soon. I want Bond to be reinvented in a completely different way with the next actor (possibly as a response to Kingman), and Nolan's style is too similar to the Craig-era.

A Nolan film is an event film. He is the most recognizable person working in hollywood.

When I think "event film" I think "mainstream recognition". Maybe not Bond, but something equally recognizable.

I would not put too much importance to name "event film". Currently there are 7 other movies named "event film" on the list of future/upcoming releases of Warner Bros. Among them one animation event film. Actually there are either directly titles of the Movie or It is written DC Movie or Warner Animation Group Projects. There is not even one film named as film (I mean simply film without label "event"). So its Just How WB name their movies often.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/ ... erbros.htm

I Am on the side of few posts seen Here. Any Nolan Movie is an event film. :gonf:

"Event" could mean "Tentpole", where a tentpole film is one of the main films of the year for the studio. Not necessarily big budget, but it's one of the films the studio is putting most stock/faith/advertising into. It's "important", but not necessarily big.

Example - IT Chapter One. That was an event film. That's a movie that the studio really cared about; it was one of their "main" tentpole films... not necessarily a huge budget. And it's not a huge summer popcorn blockbuster.

Another example: Glass. That's a January film, but it's an important tentpole event film for Universal. Another example is The Conjuring 2... super important to WB. I would consider that an event film.

Just my opinion. The fact that it's a Nolan film alone makes it an event film. It could have a $60 million budget like The Prestige and still be a huge tentpole film for WB.

American Sniper ended up being an event film. So did Bridesmaids. Granted, they were not viewed as events prior to release, but they ended up being huge cultural films for the studios despite their budgets.

The press reports made a point to mention an event film so it wasn’t a throw away descriptor. Of course his movies are events but they underlined it in the announcement. The reveal is likely designed to blow up the movie media landscape when it happens, which is something that Interstellar and Dunkirk didn’t necessarily do, as excellent as they may be.

William Blake wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 4:40 pm
The press reports made a point to mention an event film so it wasn’t a throw away descriptor. Of course his movies are events but they underlined it in the announcement. The reveal is likely designed to blow up the movie media landscape when it happens, which is something that Interstellar and Dunkirk didn’t necessarily do, as excellent as they may be.
Probably reading too much into it. :lol: